Favorite Horror Movie?

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
With Halloween fast approaching I thought this would be a good topic to discuss....

I have many favorites but I will mention two:

Evil Dead 2: Best horror/comedy! "Groovy!" ...one of the best lines ever! The sequel: Army of Darkness wasn't bad either.

But the one that still gives me nightmares.....The Exorcist 'nuf said

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Texas Chainsaw Massacre. There's probably something better, but I can't think of anything at the moment.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh, Hostel is pretty good. Friday the 13th part 3.

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
HOSTEL for me too! It took me prob 15 times to complete the whole movie. All the nakedness at the beginning got me and my girl goin! If you catch my drift. :head:

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
With Halloween fast approaching I thought this would be a good topic to discuss....

I have many favorites but I will mention two:

Evil Dead 2: Best horror/comedy! "Groovy!" ...one of the best lines ever! The sequel: Army of Darkness wasn't bad either.

But the one that still gives me nightmares.....The Exorcist 'nuf said
Im a horror fan so almost everything from 70's and 80's. Friday the 13th Series (I just bought them all) Nightmare on Elmstreet series, Evil Dead series, Living Dead series are my faves. I like pretty much all of it from that timeline.

papa G

Awards
The first scream movie was pretty original when it first came out. If ya want to go old school, the original "nightmare on elm street" had me scared as hell when I was a kid. But honestly if you to talk about SCARY, I would pick Pet Semetary!!! For some reason this movie had me scared of cats and little kids after I first saw it!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
28 Days Later
Alien
The Grudge

Last edited:
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nightmare on Elmstreet

Evil Dead

Exorcist

Those three scared the living hell out of me and then there was Hellraiser. I've been sleeping with blankets ever since.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Nightmare on Elmstreet

Evil Dead

Exorcist

Those three scared the living hell out of me and then there was Hellraiser. I've been sleeping with blankets ever since.
I FORGOT Hellraiser..I own the 1st six :) I love Doug Bradley's voice pitch shifted down in those movies.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Oh, Hostel is pretty good. Friday the 13th part 3.
Hostel was the ****! Disturbing to the very core! 'Cause you know sick **** like that is actually going on FOR REAL somewhere! Not like the "fantasy" of other horror movies!

Almost forgot about that....I hear Hostel 2 is in the works!

I also saw a poster for SAW III when I went to the moies the other day.....the first Saw movie was the **** too! Amazing twist at the end! No one ever saw it coming!!!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nightmare on Elmstreet

Evil Dead

Exorcist

Personally I've always slept with blankets, I thought that was pretty common! Unbelievably I've never seen any Hellraiser's, that will change.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Damn Jayhawkk! A little nuts on the clips.But Thanks!

I almost forgot about Phantasm!! I saw the original in the theater when it came out and I don't think I slept a wink for a week! Everytime I closed my eyes I saw the "tall man" coming for me shouting "Boy!" in that evil ass voice!

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Nightmare on Elmstreet

Evil Dead

Exorcist

The original Hellraiser was cool.

Clive Barker is a genius but his movies don't do his genius any justice.....if you want to read a book that is truly F'd up...read Clive Barker's "The Great and Secret Show"...there is no way you could ever apply what is in that book to the big screen....

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I've always been partial to zombies myself. I love Romero's stuff, though I don't like the remake of the original very much. The remake of Dawn was good, Land of the Dead had some good moments too. Zombie II was a good one, Zombie III is classic. For anyone who hasn't seen it, watch it. It's probably the most unintentionally hilarious horror movie. If I had to give some of the top ones from my collection:

The Exorcist
The Thing
The Shining
The Changeling
Cannibal Holocaust
I Eat Your Skin
The Haunting (Original)
Suspiria
The Entity
Hellraiser
Hellraiser II: Hellbound
Demons I and II
Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of..., Day of..., Land of...
Zombie II
Return of the Living Dead I and II
Lifeforce (Pure 80s brilliance; space vampires turn London into a city of life force sucking zombies)
Bubba Ho-tep
The Grudge (One of the few good modern horror movies)
The Hills Have Eyes (Original and Remake)

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Ive seen all the movies to those clips way more then once. Oh and I liked the Halloween Series..well besides Part II season of the Witch since it had nothing to do with part one. The director John Carpenter wanted to do something different every Movie but Michael Myers "The shape" did so well they went back to it.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know that when they were making Holloween they had such a low budget that they had to improvise many things......the biggest is Michael Myers mask......it was actually a mask of William Shatner that they picked up at the last minute and painted white.

One of the most terrifying faces in all of horror! Captain Kirk!

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know that when they were making Holloween they had such a low budget that they had to improvise many things......the biggest is Michael Myers mask......it was actually a mask of William Shatner that they picked up at the last minute and painted white.

I want a replica of that mask and a decent chopped and burned up old school hockey goallie mask for my office walls :)

thetimbomb

Awards
if i recorded a video of my life you guys would probably consider it the scariest ****ing film ever made.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Carpenter only had enough for two masks; they bought a clown mask and the Shatner mask. They used the Shatner mask because of the blank stare and any facial expression can be put upon it.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Hellraiser HANDS DOWN! It's a classic i f'in love that movie! I own the following:

Hellraiser 1
Hellraiser 2
Saw 1
Saw 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (new one)
Hostel
American Pyscho
Silent Hill

I just started getting into horror like a year ago but give me time and i'll have like 30 more dvds, lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Silent Hill was a pretty good one. Most of the REALLY good horror movies are remakes of Japanese films. Ringu(The Ring), Ju-On(The Grudge), etc were Japanese and the originals are much better than the US versions. Ringu, particularly, was much better than The Ring.

I don't know how many people have seen it, but Audition is one of the most ****ed up movies that I have ever seen. Highly recommended.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Hellraiser HANDS DOWN! It's a classic i f'in love that movie! I own the following:
I love Hellraiser the new ones still using Douglas Bradley as pinhead are starting to suck but the 1st 4 are great. I wish I could speak like Pinhead when someone bothers me. It would sure speed things up :)

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Here's my list... pretty much recycled from last year:

Alien,
Aliens,
American Werewolf in London,
Army of Darkness,
Bordello of Blood,
Demon Night,
From Dusk til Dawn,
The Fly,
The Hidden,
The Hitcher,
Near Dark,
Reanimator,
The Thing (John Carpenter's),
and Scanners.

-Tinytoad

P.S. Not of This Earth (1988) with Traci Lords might be fun to rent for Halloween. I haven't seen it in a while though.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Here's my list... pretty much recycled from last year:

Alien,
Aliens,
American Werewolf in London,
Army of Darkness,
Bordello of Blood,
Demon Night,
From Dusk til Dawn,
The Fly,
The Hidden,
The Hitcher,
Near Dark,
Reanimator,
The Thing (John Carpenter's),
and Scanners.

-Tinytoad

P.S. Not of This Earth (1988) with Traci Lords might be fun to rent for Halloween. I haven't seen it in a while though.
I liked the Hitcher alot. Soundtrack was really cool. The thing was Amazing for its time. The creature FX were really well done for then. Traci Lords was a fine fine actress back in the day hhehe. Near Dark, great western vampire movie. Reanimator great for cheesy horror!! The scene in American Werewolf in London were hes transforming fully for the 1st time was so well done for back then. Wasnt a quick painless morph it seem to really hurt (as i would think it should seeing his hands stretch and spine elongate). The Fright Night movie was also a good light hearted horror movie as well.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I forgot about the thing!! Damn TT, that movie scared the **** outta me.

Oh and Silent Hill was a movie based off the video game which if you haven't played it I highly suggest giving it a try!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I forgot about the thing!! Damn TT, that movie scared the **** outta me.

Oh and Silent Hill was a movie based off the video game which if you haven't played it I highly suggest giving it a try!
The Thing is classic, one of the best horror films made. Near Dark is a great one I forgot. The best stuff these days is Japanese. The myths and culture over there are still fairly new to most people in the US, and they come across that way on the screen. For example The Grudge is really just bad karma in a place, but there's no way to cleanse it. Traditional American horror would give an out. With the Japanese you're often just screwed. The Japanese films that do emulate American form and give an out tend to fall towards the end, like Dark Water. Great flick overall until the end where it just falls down into gooey emotionalism.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
The Japanese films that do emulate American form and give an out tend to fall towards the end, like Dark Water. Great flick overall until the end where it just falls down into gooey emotionalism.
I actually liked Dark Water for a newer "Horror". The end didn't fit the rest of the movie as you say. Haunted Plumbing sure is a new concept :lol:

I liked the atmosphere the movie had.

What I like about some of the older Horror movies is that they have some very dark Humour in them.

I really liked the newer horror called "Slither" sure it was silly but thats what Horror movies were all about. They even give a nod to all the old directors and lots of inside jokes. Just dont go seeing it thinking its serious its not :)

This thread made me go out and buy a cheesy Horror movie yesterday :)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I liked the atmosphere the movie had.

What I like about some of the older Horror movies is that they have some very dark Humour in them.

I really liked the newer horror called "Slither" sure it was silly but thats what Horror movies were all about. They even give a nod to all the old directors and lots of inside jokes. Just dont go seeing it thinking its serious its not :)

This thread made me go out and buy a cheesy Horror movie yesterday :)
I think the tongue in cheek humor is what's killing most modern horror. It's just a way to recycle the same movie again and again, and instead of coming up with something new they wink at you. There was some dark humor in old horror movies, but it wasn't the wink at the audience, deconstruction type. Just humor within the story, in context.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I bought conan the barbarian and conan the destroyer. I have such a short attention span.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Halloween 1
Nightmare on Elm St 1
The Descent
Blair Witch Project (yes, everyone hates it...I liked it!)
Scream
Saw 1
Evil Dead 2

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the one's with cheezy or slightly dressed women running around or just plain nudity haha. I guess i have a slight S&M side idk....haha. I think all of the new "horror" movies suck I mean theyre not even scary.....

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Saw series so far stands out in my mind out of the new movies.

I was wondering on the Descent, EESCHman how was it?

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
The Saw series so far stands out in my mind out of the new movies.

I was wondering on the Descent, EESCHman how was it?
The Descent was a decent U.K. movie :) Not typical Hollywood "new Horror" movie.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I think that everything I can think of has been said... Except "See No Evil" I mean seriously... Kane is the scariest real person I can even think of running into... and here he is just mauling the f*ck out of people!!! (even moresoe than on WWE).

ManBeast

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I think that everything I can think of has been said... Except "See No Evil" I mean seriously... Kane is the scariest real person I can even think of running into... and here he is just mauling the f*ck out of people!!! (even moresoe than on WWE).

ManBeast
I love how he didnt need any makeup to look scary :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to have to check that movie out.... forgot all about it. Is it out on DVD yet.

As for my picks, take in mind that some are from when I was a kid and that I'm going from what scared me the most.

Critters
Ghoulies
Gremilins
Fiday 2, and 3

Modern and just one's that I like

Saw I and II
Darkness Falls
Army of Darkness (This is My BOOM-STICK!!!!)
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised you don't have 'Tremors' in your list.

Critters is a lot of fun.
I haven't seen Gremlins in a long long time.

Those fast zombies in the Dawn of the Dead remake are great!

Check out 'Trancers' as well. It's a kick!

-TT

I'm going to have to check that movie out.... forgot all about it. Is it out on DVD yet.

As for my picks, take in mind that some are from when I was a kid and that I'm going from what scared me the most.

Critters
Ghoulies
Gremilins
Fiday 2, and 3

Modern and just one's that I like

Saw I and II
Darkness Falls
Army of Darkness (This is My BOOM-STICK!!!!)
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)

Last edited:
pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont think tremors would be classified as a horror.