I don't think the system really works.

B4n3 0n3

I was thinking today about a couple of things. One of the reasons I lift weights is because being bigg and strong would help me if I got jumped by some dude while walking down the street. Now I got to thinking about how the scenario might play out: I go for a walk some dude assults me so I defend myself by beating him into submission when a cop rolls up and it appears like I am the aggressor just because I successfully defended myself so the cops takes me to jail instead of the bad guy.
Or this scenario imagine you carry a concealed weapon leagaly and a group of 5 guys comes up to you and assults you so you shoot them in self defence and walk away, now the cops are looking for what they believe is a murderer but really you just defended yourself.
So my point is I bet alot of guys are in prison for self defence. What do you guys think about this?

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
If a cop drives up and you're beating the guy down, you're assaulting him. I'm not up to scratch on US laws, but up here, you can only use as much force as needed to remove the threat, you can't attack them for the sake of attacking them.

And most people wouldn't walk away after shooting someone ;)

B4n3 0n3

Well what do you think you would need to do if you are assulted? I think that you need to knock the attacker out cold, that wouldn't be unreasanable. What are you gonna do after shooting your attackers just sit down and wait around I don't think that would work to well, I usally would just go and get on with my life but I am probly wrong on this point you are probly supposed to go home and call the police so lets say you call the police and report what happened then do you think the system would really work?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
If a cop drives up and you're beating the guy down, you're assaulting him. I'm not up to scratch on US laws, but up here, you can only use as much force as needed to remove the threat, you can't attack them for the sake of attacking them.

And most people wouldn't walk away after shooting someone ;)
Yea, it's what I know.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
You can knock him out/down and then leave, but once he's no longer attacking you, you can't hit him.

Re the shooting, you'd be arrested and interviewed, probbaly held until they can find a witness, etc... might even go to trial. You have to remember you did kill a man, even in self defence you'll still have to answer to someone.

I'd say shoot them in the knees, but I'd fear the civil lawsuit.

B4n3 0n3

You can knock him out/down and then leave, but once he's no longer attacking you, you can't hit him.

Re the shooting, you'd be arrested and interviewed, probbaly held until they can find a witness, etc... might even go to trial. You have to remember you did kill a man, even in self defence you'll still have to answer to someone.

I'd say shoot them in the knees, but I'd fear the civil lawsuit.
I am just talking about knocking or choking the guy out so that he is no longer a threat but it would still look bad no matter what you were doing. In a real life situation it would be really hard to aim well enough to hit the guys knees most likely you will get a torso shot in. But my point is barring witnesses seeing the whole thing go down it will be your word against his type situation.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Just because someone lifts weights and has muscle doesn't mean they can fight....

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
wow, this has been one extreme case of thought vomit.

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
HAHHAHA Shoot them and walk away. Well lets see if they are a mugger or someone like that they would usually have prior arrests so thats better for you. Normal people just dont come up to you and want to fight. (Usually) Or there mind is clouded by a substance. Again better for you. Once resistance stops so do you. Sooooo keep clean and sober and keep your name clean just incase 5 guys come and try to jump you. LOL And wear clean underware cause you may be able to trade them for commisary in jail. Or can always use one of these. :nutkick:

B4n3 0n3

wow, this has been one extreme case of thought vomit.
These are the things that go through my mind. If you live in a nice suburban neighborhood you would say this is crazy talk but if you live in the city in the rough part of town assults happen on a daily basis so it goes through my mind what would happen.

B4n3 0n3

HAHHAHA Shoot them and walk away. Well lets see if they are a mugger or someone like that they would usually have prior arrests so thats better for you. Normal people just dont come up to you and want to fight. (Usually) Or there mind is clouded by a substance. Again better for you. Once resistance stops so do you. Sooooo keep clean and sober and keep your name clean just incase 5 guys come and try to jump you. LOL And wear clean underware cause you may be able to trade them for commisary in jail. Or can always use one of these. :nutkick:
So let's say I end up knocking out a guy in self defence can I go on with my day or am I supposed to call it in? And even if I was getting jumped I don't know if I would bring myself to throw a nut shot.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It wasn't a comment in a disrespectful way but just what I thought when I read it. As far as a totally unrelated pile of throught processes. Although I don't agree with your assessment I can sorta see where you were coming from but you went too far over the line and crossed over into the twilight zone :p

There's innocent people in jail, no doubt. I've actually been taken to jail and was beat down by about 5 cops when I was in the front yard of my mom's house fighting a guy who broke in to the house. We called the cops and they showed up and saw the fight and there ya have it.

I did go to jail and it was a very unreal experience at 16 but I still got out with no charges or anything. And what was said earlier was correct. Once you have used enough force to stop the aggression you have to stop. When the cops came I was field goal kicking this guy in the head while he sat there knocked out. I went too far.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So let's say I end up knocking out a guy in self defence can I go on with my day or am I supposed to call it in? And even if I was getting jumped I don't know if I would bring myself to throw a nut shot.
If you think someone recognized your or got your liscense plate then its probably best to report it. If your out in the middle of night and far from your car I would just keep it to myself.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Here is some Bull**** that happened to me about 6 months ago.......it was about 3 am and I couldn't sleep so I'm watching TV in the dark when all of the sudden I hear some glass breaking outside........three little punks smashed my window and were stealing my Sirius radio and all my change out of the armrest!!! I'm a big guy but my anger gave me super sprint speed for about 30 seconds and I managed to tackle one of them while his buddies ran off.....I held the kid down with my knee on his neck while a neighbor of mine who heard me shouting called the police.

Long story short....the kid I caught didn't have any of my stolen property on him and he denied breaking the car window and denied knowing the other kids who ran off....since they ran off I couldn't I.D. them either.......basically the kid skated!! THEN......the mom of the kid finds out that I "roughed him up" and files charges against me for assulting her kid!!!! The charges were dismissed later.

F'd up right!? No radio, no money, no justice! AND I had to pay to fix my window!!!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been a victim of that myself in a simliar situation BM.

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
Bet she said "My baby would'nt do such a thing" HUH?

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
Have to report it b/c if you dont thats even more trouble. But the non law enforcement side says yea if its out in the boonies just let it be but if it comes back its gonna kick ur arse. I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! Just practice your running no one ever got into trouble running away, unless you get shot in the back or ran over. :blink:

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
From what I have read. IF you have a CCW permit, and you shoot someone, you NEVER walk away, you stay there, safe/holster your weapon, and call it in yourself. Let the dispatcher and the first officer to arrive know you are carrying with your CCW and have the proof READY to give to the first officer when they arrive and tell them where the weapon is located on your person.

ManBeast

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
who the F walks away after shooting someone with a legally carried concealed weapon???? that has to be the most illogical ridiculous move i could possibly think of

B4n3 0n3

^ok the shooting the guy and walking may be a stretch, I do not have a concealed carry permit so I don't know what they teach you to do in that situation.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
If you don't have the permit, chances are you will STILL get in less trouble if you call it in, especially if you have witnesses. Killing someone and fleeing is a LOT worse than illegal possession of a firearm (I believe).

ManBeast

B4n3 0n3

If you don't have the permit, chances are you will STILL get in less trouble if you call it in, especially if you have witnesses. Killing someone and fleeing is a LOT worse than illegal possession of a firearm (I believe).

ManBeast
Right on. The situation I had envisioned was were you shoot the guy, no is around so standing around would look a bit strange so you would go home and then call the police.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leave a post it on the dead guy's forehead or put ...

BRB in his blood on his forehead

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
"You assaulted an innocent child you monster!" I believe were her exact words.
Yea i get that sh*t all the time out on calls when someones "baby" is involved. I usually dont leave the scene in good terms with the parents of kids like that, b/c they dont like what i have to tell them about their child.