Any tips/ideas to consider when first moving out?

ace_himself

Awards
Ok, I'm 20 and right now I'm just starting my third year of university. Basically, I've come to a point where I've just realized how much I really dislike and am so unsatsified with all the things going on in my life. I've thought about it many times but right now I'm very seriously considering leaving. I'm going to quit my job, give up university (for the time being), and get my own place maybe even in another city. I'm thinking what I'll probably do is get a full time job wherever I end up, spend a year or however long it takes trying to think of things I'd like to do and then eventually get back to school, but for now I've just got zero motivation whatsoever for it and it's just wasting my time I feel.

I have around 13-14k saved up in the bank which is decent so I won't be at risk of total financial ruin if I ran into any unforseen circumstances. Basically what I'm wondering for those who have gone out on their own for the first time, what are the most important things to consider? Anything that you wouldn't normally think of that is rather important? Whatever you have is appreciated, Thanks

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Do you go to school & live at home? Maybe you should try transferring & going away. I'm away for school & I absolutely love it. I went from busy Miami, FL to small football town Gainesville, FL. Look around for good schools in a place you'd like to go to & try tansferring.

ispymalik

Awards
moments of discomfort vs. years of regreat.
personally, im taking the former.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
transfer don't drop out, a college degree is like a high school degree nowadays. If you wanta have any kind of decent job i would recommend finishing up school in something that you actually enjoy. I took automotive technology, had a blast talking about cars every day for 4 years. Whatever you do in your free time you can find something related in some classes or major.

And it's tough to come back to school, no responsibilities in college with tons of chicks > ur own place in a new town with a ****ty job.

Bigballa

Awards
3 years in university and your thinking of leaving? Don't do it. It's much harder to come back than you think.

My suggestion is that if you're really unhappy with your life then start fresh. Move to a different city not too far away, continue going to another university and establish a new group of friends.

With 3 years of college and 13k saved up you can get by the last year or two of school with that money and maybe a little loans.

If your burnt out with school go part time for a semester or two. Get a small job and use that time to re-focus on what you want to do with your life.:wave:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
move to the Netherlands, Amsterdam is right there so it cant be that bad haha.

What is the reason you are so unhappy with your life? 13k is alot to start off new with. Just dont do something you might regret, with all that money you invested in school you should finish up. Transfer credits or get a new major or even go part time like bigballa said.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Seriously. I wish I had 13k right now. I'm down to 3k in my checking. If I had 13k I'd be riding around on an 06 GSXR 600. I honestly think that you leaving school & draining those funds would seriously hinder your future, bro. I personally would not do it. I'm 3 years in too. Finish up, you'll have plenty of time to f around later.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'll go against the grain.

Find your life's passion NOW, not when you are 30 and stuck in a job with a wife and/or kids. If that means taking a year off, then so be it. They say it's hard to go back to college. No. It's hard for people to find the motivation to go back to college, but it's almost impossible for committed people to break their commitments and start over.

I'd happily trade some up-front risk today for a lifetime of fullfillment

EDIT: But do not just leave college without some idea why. Look for direction first, and then follow that path to whatever ends.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
All good points and as a guy who's been out of college now for 10 years, I can honestly say it's super hard to try to go back.

I'll also point out that 13K is nothin'. It can be gone in a flash so don't get too comfortable with those zeros.

Definitely find what you love and do it. If that means staying on where you are at and changing majors..do it. If you're convinced a change of scenery will do it for you, I'll caution you that that will only be the case IF you're not running away from yourself rather than situations beyond your control.

If you do leave..pack light, resist the temptation to buy or bring lots of junk...'cause moving sucks.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Stay in school and develop a plan for yourself.

Seriously.

Right now your biggest responsibilities are to read some books and take some tests. As you enter the real world you'll accrete responsibilities like barnacles on a ship (mortgage, kids, wife, job responsibilities, illness, maybe having to take care of your parents when they fall ill). My point being that options get limited by choices and life events. What may seem easy now (coming back to finish school) may be impossible later.

Figure out what you want to do, then develop a plan to make it happen for yourself.

Not enjoying school anymore? Who said you had to enjoy it? Treat it like a job and get it done.

tomall2

Awards
My advice when first moving out would be to reconsider. Probably not what you wanted to hear and I don't know all the circumstances surrounding your situation either. Unless your running from the law, what can be so bad to make you want to get away, especially after 2 years of school under your belt?

I'm also being hypocritical here: I felt the same way my senior year in HS. So, what I did was joined the finest fighting force on this planet - the USMC. Here's the kicker, I wanted to be gone so bad that I signed up for 6 years and refused the GI Bill because I said I never wanted to see a school again.

Well it didn't take long to realize how much of an idiot I was. Don't get me wrong, the Corp changed my life and provided me with enough of a foundation where I could get out and be a productive member of society after my 6 years was up. What I really screwed up was one of the best benefits it offered - the GI Bill. So after getting out and finding a job, I had to pay my own way through school while I worked and supported a family I thought I was ready for.

Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It can be, but it usually requires a lot more work after you screw it up a few times. You have to do what you have to do, and I wish you the best of luck on your decision, but my advice is to reconsider or at least come up with a solid plan before jumping ship. Heck your still 20 years old, one more year and at least you can go to the beer store legally when times get stressful. :)

tomall2

Awards
Probably already packed and on his way to da big city before anyone could talk him out of it!!! :run:

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Try and transfer but stay in school. Keep your savings saved. Your going to need it when you finish your degree. It takes awhile to get established no matter what you do. You definetly needs those funds.

I know the day in day out grind can get to you. It helps to be around supportive people like family and what not. Sometimes just moving to a new place can refresh you. But whatever you do just finish your degree.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Probably already packed and on his way to da big city before anyone could talk him out of it!!! :run:
LOL
I can't give much advice, as I'm in a transitional period myself.
But good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Stay in school ace. Once you're done with school you can get a better job, and then you can move out on your own with more options. You should be done with school in 1-2 years tops right ? If so then stick with it. Don't stop after having completed so much.