Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Metallica is just awesome.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
no doubt. grew up worshipping them in middle school. even though im a hiphop/r&b kind of dude, i respect and enjoy good music and metallica is good music. great music when talking about working out music. Arent they coming out with a new album this summer??? Sage

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
yep, and a tour, and my friend was at that MTV ICON thing....

ManBeast

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
gotta love em, except for those last two pieces of trash they called albums ;) :D

I recently just made a mix mp3 CD with all their albums, carry it with me in my car, damn they kick so much ass!

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
they are contemplating a fall tour with Killswitch Engage as well. that would be quite good. yes Bobo, thanks for posting that. I am an undeniably huge Metallica freak and there's no getting around it. here are the rest of the Icon air times:

Tuesday May 6 2003 9:00 PM
Wednesday May 7 2003 06:00 PM
Friday May 9 2003 2:00 PM
Saturday May 10 2003 5:30 PM
Sunday May 11 2003 1:30 PM
Sunday May 11 2003 8:30 PM

(by the way, go to the website (metallica.com), head to the Jump In the Studio section, log in and see hours of vid clips taken from the past months in the studio as they recorded St. Anger... some are very, very funny)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
they are contemplating a fall tour with Killswitch Engage as well. that would be quite good. yes Bobo, thanks for posting that. I am an undeniably huge Metallica freak and there's no getting around it. here are the rest of the Icon air times:

Tuesday May 6 2003 9:00 PM
Wednesday May 7 2003 06:00 PM
Friday May 9 2003 2:00 PM
Saturday May 10 2003 5:30 PM
Sunday May 11 2003 1:30 PM
Sunday May 11 2003 8:30 PM

(by the way, go to the website (metallica.com), head to the Jump In the Studio section, log in and see hours of vid clips taken from the past months in the studio as they recorded St. Anger... some are very, very funny)
nice B. definitely will take a look (havent yet done so) good call on the website brah. Sage

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Metallica rocks hard! Even though I prefer their older stuff they still kick ass. I have scene them in concert 3 times, and they are by far the best band I have ever seen live.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Ok, post your favorite song (I know, it's a hard choice!)

Creeping Death (Ride The Lightning) for me! :)

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
hmm.... ****

4 Horsemen- KEA

Creeping Death- RTL

Leper Messiah- MOP

Killing Time- (cover), Garage Days

Harvester of Sorrow- AJfA

The God That Failed- TBA

The House That Jack Built- Load

Fixxxer- ReLoad

Astronomy- (cover) Garage Inc

The Thing That Should Not Be- S&M

best I could do was from each album :(

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
easy. fade to black, unforgiven, sanatarium, master of puppets, and one (a like their "softer" songs a bit more than the harder stuff) Sage

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Creeping Death, Seek and Destroy, Blackened. :D

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
For Whom The Bell Tolls, Fade To Black, Sanitarium, One, Seek And Destroy, Master Of Puppets.

guess I'll stop now.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Oh Bobo is the man, Seek and Destroy is the ****!! I used to play drums in a Metallica cover band back in the day (lol, had really long hair too, damn that was funny) :D

For Whom The Bell Tolls was the first song I ever learned to play on drums, another kickass tune. :)

The Small Hours is another favorite, crazy thick guitar riff on that one!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I missed the MTV icon, but I'll do my best to catch them at the Summer Sanitarium at Candlestick park. They need to play One and Enter Sandeman at every gym among other songs as well. I heard on the radio that they're new album will be 76 minutes long and be more similar to their early albums.
Here's my top 5 Metallica songs.
1. One.
2. Enter Sandman.
3. Master of Puppets.
4. Unforgiven & Unforgiven II
5. Wherever I may roam.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I heard on the radio that they're new album will be 76 minutes long and be more similar to their early albums.
every review I've seen so far agrees with eachother, and here is one of the longer, better reviews, a few opinions of mag-writers invited to a listening party... all the news is very positive:

ST. ANGER REVIEW
Here is a review / report translated from the Swedish Close-up magazine and site
Close-up's Martin Carlsson leaves an exclusive report from the studio north of San Francisco where Metallica's working on their new album "St. Anger".

I swear on the bible, on my mother's grave or whatever - the following text is nothing less than the complete truth. This statement needs to be made, quite simply because you're probably not going to believe me. I almost wonder if I've really listened to the new Metallica album "St Anger" myself, or if somebody has been playing a trick on me and played me some new, exciting aggro-band. You see, "St. Anger" is a chock, one of music history's greatest! It is as if "Load" and "Reload" has been deleted from the map, as if the Black Album never existed, as if the Metallica we've come to know never really existed. The five songs (all of which are as of yet untitled but the title-track) I've heard exhibits a sound so EXTREME and raw that all you can do is sit there chocked with your jaw on the floor.

I'm not joking.

Twenty journalists are gathered in the control-room of the studio north of San Francisco. We get comfortable. The air is vibrating with excitement, and then? BAM!! The first song (working title: Frantic) kicks in with hypnotic, almost industrial Slayer-riffs. What the **** is going on? "You live it or lie it", chants James Hetfield and goes on with "my lifestyle determines my death style". It is ultra-tight metalcore like it has never been performed before. Lars ulrich's fat drum-sound is replaced with an oilrig-similar snare that's usually reminiscent of robotic industry-metal. "Do I have the strength?", a wondering Hetfield screams in the middle of the chaos. It is a maddening Blitzkriegstrategy with attack-waves of battering riffs, attacking from every angle for five minutes and 54 seconds.

I'm not joking.

The war as just begun, and I really mean THE WAR, because this music would be the perfect soundtrack to the media coverage of the war on Iraq. The title-track blazes away with a ultra-fast bulldozermosh that leaves Max Cavalera far behind. We are talking monster-metallized punk from another planet; a twisted and overdosed Dischange just released from rehab! We are talking beyond sound-speed, especially regarding the drum-work. The double-bass pounds away mercilessly and Lars Ulrich's use of the snare are almost -get this!- blast-beats!! It's going to be interesting seeing him trying to repeat this live - if the dane is usually soaked from sweat and carried to the lodge after traditional concerts, then he's going to need an oxygen-mask and hospital personnel to wake him back to life after this. Following this amazing intro comes a softer part where Hetfield sings "St. Anger around my neck, he never gets respect." This ten second long part, recurring a couple of times in the seven minute and 24 second long song, is the only part that could be classified as soft. The Producer Bob Rock (also on bass) assures me that this is the calmest, most stripped-down part on the whole album. WOW! A riff similar to "Creeping Death" follows. Hetfield howls "**** it all and fucking no regrets" (an exact recapitulation of the classic in "Damage Inc."). Towards the end of the song he screams "I need to set my anger free"... and this is exactly what he and Metallica does: releasing all their anger.

I'm not joking.

Song number three starts up like an updated "Ride the Lightning": MEga-fat thrash-metal in midtempo speed. The vocalist spits: "It and you can look out motherfuckers, here I come!". Sepultura's "Roots"-era sound reminiscent in this song, with the refrain "It world" repeated again and again. Before the song ends at five minutes and 51 seconds, Hetfield shouts "enough, enough, enough"

I'm not joking.

Have you missed the complex song-structures of "And Justice for All"? Compared to this around eight minutes long piece (working title "Monster"), the songs of the 1988 album seem more like simple Ramones' ditties. A progressive blanket of sound that warms like a massive and super-intricate Tool, only a thousand times heavier! Hetfield chants over a delicious part that goes into what could be called a chorus with some use of fantasy: "We the people, are we the people?". This phrase is repeated two times and "some kind of monster" three times before the singer concludes "this monster lives". There is actually something here that could be called groove, not entirely unlike Pantera although vastly heavier. The guitars are so damned insane, so damned evil, so damned incredible! The fact is that there isn't anything remotely like a traditional guitar-solo in any of these five songs. Hetfield and Kirk Hammett use their instruments like surgical tools. The guitars shrieks and scream as if Tom Morello and Kerry King made a deal and decided to take the Devil's music not one but ten steps further.

I'm not joking.

The most wicked part is however the last, whose working-name is "All Within My Hands". A very strange piece with an instrumental intro of one minute and fifteen seconds. The tempo is ultra-fast, taking so many twists and turns that you get all dizzy. "All Within My Hands" is shouted and then sung in an Alice In Chains manner. And the ending? MAN OH MAN! Like a possessed madman Hetfield screams "Kill kill kill kill!!" ad absurdum - we're talking deranged shrieks coming from a psychopathic Tom Araya (think Slayer's "Kill Again" only even more insane). You'd think it was over after that. But no. It is like watching an exciting thriller with so many surprises that you finally don't believe an ending is forthcoming. Yes, after a heavy-as-lead finale it winds down at eight minutes and 55 seconds.

I'm not joking.

20 Journalists finally leave the control-room and look at each other. No one needs say anything; the looks say it all: What in god's name have we just experienced? That Metallica, once tired old farts, have made a complete 180, and now sound like a bunch of hormone-reeking bucks in heat, is the most incredible thing that's happened in music history. "St. Anger" is the real "Reload". "St. Anger" doesn't sound like anything the group has done before, it hardly even sounds like Metallica. "St. Anger" is a modern, super-brutal metal-album that is going to chock and knock the entire music world. Melodies? Nope, there's not much here that reminds one of traditional melodies or arrangements such as verse, bridge, chorus. The 10th of June could become known as the day that shook the world. If you haven't catched on yet:

I'm not joking.

Martin Carlsson Source: Close Up Magazine

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
cant wait.....but......the black album i thought was very good. i rarely buy cds....but this is definitely a purchase waiting to happen. Sage

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
big bump on the black album. It wasn't their best album, but it still rocked. No comment on load and reload.

quasar

Awards
I used to sweat metallica back in my HS days (around the black album was when I was a senior) but I still can't forgive them for being such money grubbing bastards and shutting down napster (remember how lars whined "they're stealing our songs").  On one hand, I see their point but on the other, during those college days, napster was a phenomenon and I hated seeing it shut down after first being rendered castrated..

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I won't wait to download this new CD off Kazaa, I'm buying this puppy.

Ibanez

Awards
I like their older stuff. More complex guitar parts. However, I would still listen to their new stuff over hiphop/rap. Fav songs, I pretty much like all the songs from and justice and down, but I'll name some.

Seek & Destroy
No Remorse
Leper Messiah
Ride the Lightning
And Justice for All

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Holy ****, downloaded that St. Anger, good stuff! :)

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
you guys forgot about battery, damage inc., Traped under ice,escape, shortest straw, .........hell anything off the first 4 albums. The newer stuff is ok but lacked the balls of the first 4. Did they kick bob rock to the curb yet? I will be downloading every song off Kazaa. JWEAVE you still play drums? Could you play the double bass part of diers eve? One of the fastest db parts that comes to mind. We used to play alot of metallica too back when I had long hair and was 150lbs lighter. I am a big megadeth fan too. Same thing with them too the first 4 were great.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i downloaded some but either its a promo (where the them repeats over an over) or its not them....... (at least it doesnt sound like james on vocal) and btw, they get a new bass? or did he just add some pound? Sage

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
the only new Metallica available is a short clip (20 seconds or so) from the studio, or about a minute and a half from the end of the Icon performance... both are of the song 'Frantic'. everything, and I mean everything else on Kazaa are fakes... many are clips of Soilwork etc that people have mislabeled... here's a link to download the longer version from Icon (not best quality, but you can obviously tell where this music sits... newer SOUND, but with aggression, speed and arrangements comparable to older ****)

Frantic- Icon

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
man I swear I got a few songs (yeah about 50% fakes, but I just downloaded everything that said St. Anger)

VANILLAGORILLA, Dyer's Eve, nope, not well anyway, lol :D I got the double bass part to One down pretty well (2 triplets really damn fast) and always liked playing Harvester of Sorrow (beginning is cool) or Trapped Under Ice, kickass jams. :)

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Yes the MTV Icon was the ****, my jaw was on the floor, I had to go workout after I saw it

St. Anger is slated come out May 10 I believe..this saturday :D :D :D :D

D D D

Awards
WTF!!!!!!!!
Nobody said "Whiplash" off Kill'em All.
And how about "Pulling Teeth". Great songs.

Number 5

Awards
**** metallica. i used to love them, but they fucking sold out.

look at the picture of them in 'kill 'em all'. that's when they were real, and everything up to (though not including) load was good. but then they started suing universities and napster too i think b/c their **** was traded on the internet in mp3 files and they weren't getting money for it.

that's just against the spirit of rock 'n roll.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
meh... I personally have no problem with artists who wish to retain control of the art they create. to each his own.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
and btw, they get a new bass? or did he just add some pound?
They're last bassist, Jason Newstead, left the band like last year. Then Ozzy hooked them up with the new guy. He's flipping nasty as hell...

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
vanilla - yeah dude! battery is one of their best songs man...

Ibanez

Awards
What other metal groups do you guys listen to? Iced Earth? Blind Guardian?

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
iron maiden....'fear of the dark' is one of my favorite songs ever

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
i just caught that last viewing of ICON. well, i taped the rest, gotta get the rest.

Metallica, Megadeath, etc. are the bands that got me into metal. and i am indeed a metalhead but like any music altogether.

ill be going to see the Summer Sanitarium show in Colombus, OH coming up--cant friggin wait.

all time fav. songs:
One
Master of Puppets
Sanitarium
Fade to black
Harvester of Sorrow
Battery( gotta love the speed)
i can listen to all of them up to the black over and over again.

other fav. metal bands: (80's - 90's)
Pantera
White ZOmbie
Megadeth
Morbid Angel
Slayer
Cannibul Corpse
Deftones
Fear Factory
man, i could go on and on.

anyone else goin to the summer sanitarium show in Columbus?

good_guye28

Awards
  • Established
all of their stuff before and justice for all just f-in rocked.......
i like and justice too but everything after that they started to get weak.
im just a metal head that loves that hard ****.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
y'all see the new video yet? saw some behind the scenes stuff awhile back when they shot it at San Quentin, came together pretty nicely I think. good vibe from the song too, different for them, but good.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
im sorry guys, i dont wanna burst ur bubble on the new album.
but, today i heard the WHOLE track of the "new" St. Anger. pfff......i gotta tell u man, they need to just quit makin music. it sounded totally--i cant even describe it. the chorus part just blew, the guitar part sounded like something from slipknot-- dont get me wrong, slipknot is the sheeit, but not for metallica.

and im a huge fan of metallica as well, but after i heard that tune, it was like a re-load exp. all over again. hopefully the other songs are MUCH better.

motleybreu

Awards
i was supposed to see the show at giants stadium...don't know if i still am gotta check with my bro on that..oh man..i just heard it too, now im dissapointed, i hope the rest of the album is better

Rhapsody

Awards
I know this may sound "gay":rolleyes: , but I love

Whiskey in the Jar. It was an old Irish Folk Song they re-recorded.

First time I heard the Irish version.......I was like, "WTF, they ripped off Metallica!!" LOL Later I learned metallica borrowed it from them........LOL

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually Thin Lizzy covered it first. ;)

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
St. Anger's release date has been moved up to the 5th... buy it immediately :D

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
thats huge biggin'. ill pick up a copy fo sho Sage