The Descent

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
If you've been on the fence about seeing this movie in the theater , do it before its gone. Any movie that claims 'the best horror movie since Alien', I usually immediately write off as BS and ignore it. There have been a rare handfull of films that actually come close to being such a well done tale of terror, and this is one of them.

bv

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmmmmmmmm, gotta say I was leaning against this one but perhaps I'll go see it.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was really good. Ive been so disappointed by a lot of the so-called 'horror' movies that have come out recently, but this one didnt hold back. I had a couple gripes of course, but compared the overall movie they were trivial. The guy who directed Dog Soldiers (Niel Marshall) did the Descent. Dog Soldiers was a cool/different movie - this is a classic terror/human psyche flick done very well.

bv

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
If it's scarey-suspensful like Alien, I will see it. If it's just beyond disgusting with gore or torture, I will not.

Your opinion?

OneBetter

OneBetter

Awards
i haven't seen it, but it looks like the movie "The Cave" without the water.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This movie was a BADASS movie. I LOVED IT!!! GO see it!!!! :hammer: :woohoo:

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmmmmmmmm, gotta say I was leaning against this one but perhaps I'll go see it.

Its a good movie! Nothing fancy just creepy/suspenseful. I saw it last year :) It been out in the UK for a while now so if anything the "American" version would be the "rip-off" :)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
If it's scarey-suspensful like Alien, I will see it. If it's just beyond disgusting with gore or torture, I will not.

Your opinion?
Like mentioned above - there's definitely some gore but its placed appropriatley. Once of the most suspensful flicks Ive seen in a long while - actually had everyone in the theater jumping in their seats throughout the film. It was also nice to see that the heroines were actually believable and not cookie cutter hollywood lameness.

Its a good movie! Nothing fancy just creepy/suspenseful. I saw it last year It been out in the UK for a while now so if anything the "American" version would be the "rip-off"
The only thing different between the two versions is the ending - the UK version has about 2.5 extra minutes that make the ending a bit more...somber. If you're in the US, go see the flick and when you get home just jump on YouTube and type 'The Descent Ending' for a search and you can watch it.

If you are a fan of *good* horror flicks ala Alien, Hellraiser 1 &2, etc you really should see this movie. Ill buy it as soon as it comes out on DVD.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
The only thing different between the two versions is the ending - the UK version has about 2.5 extra minutes that make the ending a bit more...somber. If you're in the US, go see the flick and when you get home just jump on YouTube and type 'The Descent Ending' for a search and you can watch it.

If you are a fan of *good* horror flicks ala Alien, Hellraiser 1 &2, etc you really should see this movie. Ill buy it as soon as it comes out on DVD.
When I mean American version I mean "The Cave" :) I Like the endings in the UK version hehe...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
When I mean American version I mean "The Cave" I Like the endings in the UK version hehe...
Oh man - I havent even seen the Cave. I heard it was awful....

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i loved the movie .. the one scene where she gets stuck REALLY REALLY freaked me out

i didn't think it was as good as the first SAW or hostel though .. but still very good

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
i loved the movie .. the one scene where she gets stuck REALLY REALLY freaked me out

i didn't think it was as good as the first SAW or hostel though .. but still very good
Im not as partial to the Silence of the Lambs style horror flicks as much as I am the more sci-fi oriented ones. Still dig them though...

And you're right that scene where she was stuck my heart was in my throat...Ill tell you I WONT be going spleunking into any caves like that!

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good, I may see it then. Appropriate gore is ok..like Alien/Aliens et cetera. It's when they rely on the gore to freak you out instead of bothering to build suspense that gets to me.

One issue..I DO have to go spelunking..kinda sorta for my job. I occassionally do bat surveys in abandoned mines before they are closed off for good. It can cool or hella freaky sometimes wandering around in 150 year old mine shafts.

"Oh look, a box of 100 year old dynamite..I think I shall leave now."

or "Isn't that neat how the cieling caved in a while back and split those century old timbers like toothpicks"

or "Hey these look like bear tracks..why yes indeed they ARE bear tracks in this 4 foot high tunnel with only one way out. How delightful!"

Yeah, it's like that so I'm not sure I need to worry about any demons and such. lol

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds good, I may see it then. Appropriate gore is ok..like Alien/Aliens et cetera. It's when they rely on the gore to freak you out instead of bothering to build suspense that gets to me.

One issue..I DO have to go spelunking..kinda sorta for my job. I occassionally do bat surveys in abandoned mines before they are closed off for good. It can cool or hella freaky sometimes wandering around in 150 year old mine shafts.

"Oh look, a box of 100 year old dynamite..I think I shall leave now."

or "Isn't that neat how the cieling caved in a while back and split those century old timbers like toothpicks"

or "Hey these look like bear tracks..why yes indeed they ARE bear tracks in this 4 foot high tunnel with only one way out. How delightful!"

Yeah, it's like that so I'm not sure I need to worry about any demons and such. lol

Rather it be you then me!! :head: I hope you stay safe tho BIO!! lol

I did like hostel and saw a lot but yea where she was stuck that was just....... speachless.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Descent was a pretty good movie, but I actually liked The Cave a little better. The entire heroine theme was pretty original, thought it was cool. As for cave diving, try fitting into an opening only to realize that your stuck and in order to get out you have to take your wallet out of your back pocket so you can squeeze on through. Now that's suspenseful.

Powerhouse 48

Powerhouse 48

Awards
Its based on the first chapter of a book written by author Jeff Long, also called the Descent, great book, movie is good but does the book no jusctice. It doesnt even include the actual main character from the book.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Its based on the first chapter of a book written by author Jeff Long, also called the Descent, great book, movie is good but does the book no jusctice. It doesnt even include the actual main character from the book.

That's great to know! I'm going to have to look that up now. I haven’t read any fictionional books ever since I read series I liked so much ended.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most movies never do the books justice. Just look at Jurassic Park. Although LOTR was pretty close.(Well, close enough) Never knew Descent was a book, might have to look into it.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Movies never do the book they're based on justice. There's just no way a 2D screen can compete with your imagination.

BV

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Movies never do the book they're based on justice. There's just no way a 2D screen can compete with your imagination.

BV

Word from a brotha witha different motha. :cheers:

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established

BV

Your right they never come out as messed up as I picture them in my mind :fool2:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
OK, I didn't get to this one in the theatre but rented it today......holy **** it's a good movie. The one I saw was the "unrated uncut" version....not sure if it differed from the USA theatrical release. No happy ending in this.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
:D Glad you liked it man, reminds me to go buy the DVD.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Another decent non theater movie that Ive seen just recently was "Altered" I had never heard about it but a friend of mine had the DVD. I was surprised how much I liked it. Nothing AMAZING but pretty good. Can't touch The Decent however. Heres a movie review cut and pasted from IMDB.

"Author: Ogami Itto from Ireland

Altered (2006)

like sci-fi? like gore? if, like me the answer is yes then check this little gem out. its dog soldiers meets signs with a hint of the evil dead. Convincing performances from all the players and a well paced plot make altered a great film that just plane works. In recent years B movies have been plagued with bad CGI effects and I for one cant stand them. Altered on the other hand has Thomas Floutz, who was the special makeup effects artist on films like Underworld 1 and 2, X-men 3 and The Cave(and many more). So were talking top notch, old school special makeup effects, with only one or two really nice CGI shots where needed. It also has a great little appearance from James Gammon as the local sheriff. All in all its a cool movie thats nicely shot with solid performances, good direction, a well paced plot and lots of lovely gore, so if that sounds like your kinda flick then don't hesitate, rent it kick back and enjoy. ?"

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

BV
In general, you're right, but there are counterexamples like Fight Club. The movie is just better.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell, I didn't even know Fight Club was a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The movie 'Slither' was pretty damn good too. Different class of horror flick than The Descent (Slither is closer to 'The Blob' while The Descent was closer in style to Alien). Worth checking out though!

BV

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
The movie 'Slither' was pretty damn good too. Different class of horror flick than The Descent (Slither is closer to 'The Blob' while The Descent was closer in style to Alien). Worth checking out though!

BV
OH! Best of "THAT" type of genre I have ever seen in the theater. Lots of inside jokes from B horror movies...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah! It was done really well - its nice when a moviemaker caters to people who really like movies :)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
just saw it the other day. Good movie. That Juno chick was hott! I kinda got thrown off by the ending with the birthday cake and all...what was that all about?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just saw it and I honestly didn't really care for it. It was typical horror movie fashion, eenmaho. Creepy crawly bat guys with no real reasonor rhyme to what they are. A woman get her spine removed with a pick axe(who the **** sneaks up on someone in this situation?) and happens to rip a keepsake from another womans husband...Anyways, so with this information this woman KILLS her?

Anyways, ****ty movie with hot chicks. I'd rather watch better made suspense movie.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I saw it this weekend and I agree with Jayhawk. Crappy movie. The creatures remind me of Gollum without a tan. I also watched snakes on a plane. Even worse movie. Don't waste your $$.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not really hardcore as much as hoping it was going to be a good horror movie. This one just didn't provide me with any suspense of horror or even make me sit on the edge of my seat. The sequence of events didin't even make too much sense. For a gorefest there are much better movies and for a suspense/thriller there are much better. It's nice to see a all woman cast but that was the only truely different thing and even then it didn't escape stereotypes.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Well I guess everyone is different, I thought it was really pretty good. I respect your opinion not to like this film. :) At least we can agree on Metal:)

BV

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, you know you didn't een see the movie. Just looked at the women the whole time...Probably tuning your guitar :p

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
lol, you know you didn't een see the movie. Just looked at the women the whole time...Probably tuning your guitar :p
:p You know me all too well brutha:)

BV

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Spoilers******

It had a lot of potential but like a lot of horror movies it let me down when the creatures were finally revealed. I thought the first hour of the movie was really good. As a claustrophobe, the scenes where they were crawling through those small tunnels scared the **** out of me. I think the movie would have been better if there were no actual creatures just the group spirally into insanity, kind of like the Shining in a totally different environment.

In horror movies, the supernatural element/monster can really kill a movie with a creepy feel to it. Another movie that could of been great was Flatliners from the 80s. It was amazing until the spernatural element was introduced.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Spoilers******

It had a lot of potential but like a lot of horror movies it let me down when the creatures were finally revealed. I thought the first hour of the movie was really good. As a claustrophobe, the scenes where they were crawling through those small tunnels scared the **** out of me. I think the movie would have been better if there were no actual creatures just the group spirally into insanity, kind of like the Shining in a totally different environment.

In horror movies, the supernatural element/monster can really kill a movie with a creepy feel to it. Another movie that could of been great was Flatliners from the 80s. It was amazing until the spernatural element was introduced.
:goodpost: i agree i just couldnt explain it as good as you hhaha. the whole idea about being so far from any help and not know what can happen like getting stuck down there and eating each other was the exciting thing to me. The creature element was gay just like alot of horror movies.

can anyone explain to me the last part where she imagines herself as a little girl with a bday cake in the cave?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: i agree i just couldnt explain it as good as you hhaha. the whole idea about being so far from any help and not know what can happen like getting stuck down there and eating each other was the exciting thing to me. The creature element was gay just like alot of horror movies.

can anyone explain to me the last part where she imagines herself as a little girl with a bday cake in the cave?
I thought the little girl was supposed to be her dead child and she imagines her self being happy with her child again as she's going crazy herself. It's just an image that the director thought would be creepy as well. Just my opinion.

It was better than most horror movies that come out these days, though.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Spoilers******

It is really unfortunate that most Suspense/Horror films confer this very contradictory dynamic upon themselves. What truly drives the adrenaline response when watching these movies is that fear of the unknown, a vicarious feeling of helplessness, in so far as we cannot logically analyze what we would do in a similar situation if we are not aware of our 'enemy'. However, the monster, villain, creature, and so forth, must always be revealed in the interest in linear plot development; unfortunately many, or moreover most, major studios are not willing to gamble on a Blair Witch, or Alien-esque movie in which true suspense is created through the absence of, as opposed to the encounter with, the enemy.

As you stated, most movies of this Sub-Genre often lose my interest, and consequently respect, within the first hour, as this is often when we first meet the antagonist. On a side note, my favourite horror movie of all time was Event Horizon :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is really unfortunate that most Suspense/Horror films confer this very contradictory dynamic upon themselves. What truly drives the adrenaline response when watching these movies is that fear of the unknown, a vicarious feeling of helplessness, in so far as we cannot logically analyze what we would do in a similar situation if we are not aware of our 'enemy'. However, the monster, villain, creature, and so forth, must always be revealed in the interest in linear plot development; unfortunately many, or moreover most, major studios are not willing to gamble on a Blair Witch, or Alien-esque movie in which true suspense is created through the absence of, as opposed to the encounter with, the enemy.

As you stated, most movies of this Sub-Genre often lose my interest, and consequently respect, within the first hour, as this is often when we first meet the antagonist. On a side note, my favourite horror movie of all time was Event Horizon :)
That and the suspense of the unknow or disguised villian is truly frightening. I don't care what anyone say's Penny Wise the clown scared the hell out of me everytime he showed up in that film. You just didn't know about him, plus he was happy.... just creepy. Kinda like Buffalo Bill.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
As you stated, most movies of this Sub-Genre often lose my interest, and consequently respect, within the first hour, as this is often when we first meet the antagonist. On a side note, my favourite horror movie of all time was Event Horizon

I LOVE that movie. It went from a good sci-fi flick to completely off the way creepy and insane over the course of 2 hours. A true classic, IMO.

I agree with the above comments, The Descent did have some flaws. But I still think it was one of the best of this type of film to come out in ages. It got a few things wrong, but got a lot of things right, IMO.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Event Horizon was creepy as all hell. That was a true horror movie.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I LOVE that movie. It went from a good sci-fi flick to completely off the way creepy and insane over the course of 2 hours. A true classic, IMO.

I agree with the above comments, The Descent did have some flaws. But I still think it was one of the best of this type of film to come out in ages. It got a few things wrong, but got a lot of things right, IMO.
Oh yeah, me too, I actually enjoyed it. I was more just stating the problem with most =of these movies.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Remember that sequence in Event Horizon where its like a high speed montage of disgusting images? Did you ever pause the movie and watch that in slow motion?...its ****ed up!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Remember that sequence in Event Horizon where its like a high speed montage of disgusting images? Did you ever pause the movie and watch that in slow motion?...its ****ed up!
When they show disfigured people like sticking their hand through people's throat, and nasty **** like that??

lol

That part is awesome!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have only watched Event Horizon once at the theatres. I could never bring myself to watch it again. It was too ****ed up :)