tattoo and lifting

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I got my first tat yesterday on my right side from my hip up to rib cage (probably about 4.5 inches) i'll post a pic of it later on

but my question is do i need to take any time off lifting while it heals? i'm just worried about sweating and whatnot

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
No, make sure it breathes and don't keep that cello bandage on if they gave you one.. A&D ointment when it dries (not too much) stay out of the sun until the skin has healed the scab... and keep the sunlight minimal on it (high spf if you do) after. Sweating and the like will not affect it if you let it breathe. Just don't do oblique twists and crunches if the scabbing is very pronounced.. because if you tear the scab, it can blotch the pigment a bit.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, A&D ointment all the way (can be found in the baby care section of your local drug store.) Only with tattoos on the arms do i take a few days off lifting.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
What Ubi & Renegade said. Just make sure that nothing is constantly rubbing against it. Much like a normal scab, you don't want to mess with the natural healing process. Also don't drench it in A&D, make sure to keep it moist but not covered cause then the skin won't breathe.

Ahh I remember my first tatt. It's slowly turning into a sleeve lol. Careful you don't get addicted. Throw some pics up bro! What's the tatt of? Bet it hurt like hell on the ribs? Heard that's where it hurts the most.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive got 3 tats, 1 on my mid back , and 1 on each bicep and i never really took time off cept for on my arms. I used A&D on my back and Aquaphor on my arms. I never scabbed on either but they did peel. Also bro when it peels and itches like fvckin mad, dont itch it bro, try and pat it but dont itch or scratch!

Post up some pics bro lets see this bad boy!

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
L-glutamine in large doses speeds recovery.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I just realized when looking at your measurements that we're roughly the same size. Weird.

Iron&Pain

Awards
Don't let it dry out over the first several days or loss of ink is possible. I had the idea to cover mine with paper towel to keep it from rubbing residue ink on my clothes and sheets.......BAD IDEA. Definitely don't do that cause it'll mesh with the scab and you're going to lose some ink. I lucked out but not a good idea.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I got tatted up then went to the gym like 2 hrs later. I love gettin tats it is very addicting. I use a&d ointment the first night that i get my tat then i use unscented moisturizing lotion for like teh next 5 days or so until its healed. I've used both the opintment and the lotion the whole time through and i like the lotion the best.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why are any of you advising A&D? Anyone who has had a few, will tell you Neosporin. A&D pulls the ink out like no other. Neosporin closes that wound fast, and locks the ink in. A&D pulls that **** out.

Adams

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Why are any of you advising A&D? Anyone who has had a few, will tell you Neosporin. A&D pulls the ink out like no other. Neosporin closes that wound fast, and locks the ink in. A&D pulls that **** out.

Adams
"After a few years of Neosporin being the #1 product recommended for tattoo aftercare, it soon became apparent that it was falling short of its expectations. Several people were coming up with allergic reactions to the ointment, and were getting tiny red bumps on their tattoos. After these red bumps disappeared, they took the ink along with them and the customer was left with a "spotted" tattoo.

This is why many artists now will also recommend A&D ointment as an alternative to Bacitracin. A&D is not anti-bacterial, but it does contain two crucial ingredients, obviously - Vitamins A and D. These vitamins are very good at healing abrasions and minor wounds because they keep the skin supple and protected from outside organisms. The downfall with this product is that because it does not include any actual healing agents, it is not going to help you if you are prone to infection. Most people really don't have to worry about this, though - as long as a tattoo is kept clean and protected, infection fighting ointments are really more of a precaution than a necessity."

Do A&D the first few days as it heals, maybe twice a day, and then put lotion on it as much as possible for the following weeks.

tattoopierced1

as long as it doesnt bother you, you should be good to go. Just keep it wrapped and moist. You dont want any nastys from anyone else getting into a fresh wound on your body causing infection....

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Keep some anti biotic ointment on it and it will be fine. Geesh you guys worry too much:D

Beez that was hilarious.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
"After a few years of Neosporin being the #1 product recommended for tattoo aftercare, it soon became apparent that it was falling short of its expectations. Several people were coming up with allergic reactions to the ointment, and were getting tiny red bumps on their tattoos. After these red bumps disappeared, they took the ink along with them and the customer was left with a "spotted" tattoo.

This is why many artists now will also recommend A&D ointment as an alternative to Bacitracin. A&D is not anti-bacterial, but it does contain two crucial ingredients, obviously - Vitamins A and D. These vitamins are very good at healing abrasions and minor wounds because they keep the skin supple and protected from outside organisms. The downfall with this product is that because it does not include any actual healing agents, it is not going to help you if you are prone to infection. Most people really don't have to worry about this, though - as long as a tattoo is kept clean and protected, infection fighting ointments are really more of a precaution than a necessity."

Do A&D the first few days as it heals, maybe twice a day, and then put lotion on it as much as possible for the following weeks.
I concur.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Agreed with all the advice, and someone said they are addicting, yes they are, 9 later.....:) (and I teach school so the only one you can see is the one on my ankle).....heeheh

What did you get????

Chewster

Chewster

Awards
All good advice, ive got quite a bit of my upper body covered, tried A&D and Neo and other ****. Personally I let my **** dry out a little and put just enough Neo as needed. I think and have been told that my color looks great so i guess what im doing works just fine. Youll feel it out, and as you get more, if you do, youll find what technique works best for you.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
pics will be up very shortly :)

as for my next one i'm going to get beelze's face tattooed on my face

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
don't do that. you'll never pull ass again. be wary.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
Tell ur girl friend or wife that you need a back rub every day for a month to help it heal. This really works.

The last one I got I was given some stuff from the Tat shop that have Olive Oil in it. Been a couple of years now and it's still looks good.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ok 2 questions

1) i got the tat on saturday its now wednesday .. is it normal for it to be slightly "peeling" ... almost like after a sunburn?

2) i'm going to stop using the A & D ointment and move on to regular lubriderm moisturizer .. does the moisturizer have to be put on as lightly as the A&D? or can i just put it on like i would normally apply moisturizer?

sorry the pic still isn't up .. my roommate needs to stop being lazy and take a pic with his camera for me

btw its the image on the cover of the clash album London Calling where the bassist Paul Simonen is smashing his bass

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
just use a normal amount, it won't effect the tat. as for peeling, it's normal.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
ok 2 questions

1) i got the tat on saturday its now wednesday .. is it normal for it to be slightly "peeling" ... almost like after a sunburn?

2) i'm going to stop using the A & D ointment and move on to regular lubriderm moisturizer .. does the moisturizer have to be put on as lightly as the A&D? or can i just put it on like i would normally apply moisturizer?

sorry the pic still isn't up .. my roommate needs to stop being lazy and take a pic with his camera for me

btw its the image on the cover of the clash album London Calling where the bassist Paul Simonen is smashing his bass
Yo Glen,

1. Yes, it is normal for it to peel. But let it heal naturally, don't peel off yourself as it will take color/blotch the tattoo.

2. No, regular skin cream should be applied as often and as much as you can manage with your schedule. I usually put a regular amount on 5-10 times a day. The idea is not to let the area dry out.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
its advice like this that makes me happy to have named beelze as the one to take care of my yet to be born children if i die

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Yo beelz, how long did your back take? Did you do it in one sitting? Do you have a bigger pic?
The longest I've sat is about 6 hours.
I had some friends from Japan that had full back tattoos like yours. (they weren't yakuzas either) One of them had a giant demon face on his back. Very cool!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
glen, it'd be cool to have a little herd of hobbits running around. it'd be like the shire.

renegade, total was 22 hours. longest sitting was 7.5 hours for the puppet master holding the demon, fell asleep after 3 hours and drooled on the chair. it won't allow me to post a bigger one, says it's over my limit or some sh!t.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
renegade, total was 22 hours. longest sitting was 7.5 hours for the puppet master holding the demon, fell asleep after 3 hours and drooled on the chair. it won't allow me to post a bigger one, says it's over my limit or some sh!t.

LOL, I can't imagine falling asleep for a tat. Usually when I get one done it perks me up. Good stuff!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
after the outline, it goes numb. everyone is different though. the 3/4 tribal sleeve on my left arm was the most excrutiating 5 hours of my life, especially when the went on the inside of the elbow.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
after the outline, it goes numb. everyone is different though. the 3/4 tribal sleeve on my left arm was the most excrutiating 5 hours of my life, especially when the went on the inside of the elbow.
Yeah, that spot felt good! The worst I've had was near my pec-delt tie in region, and on my inner wrist...youch!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
haven't had a new one in 4 years or so, might be time to fix that :D

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
geez i can't imagine .. mine took 3 hours and from what the artists and other customers were saying the side/ribs are one of the most painful areas to have inked .. i obviously have nothing to compare it to .. but my god was it excrutiating

tattoopierced1

worst one of mine was the stomach and upper rib area.. imagine 5 hours of a needle making your abs flex at a retarded rate. I was exhausted afterwards.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Worst for me was inner delt/pec near the armpit. Felt like a cougar was clawing me. I have to get my 1/4 sleeve finished up. Longest I've sat was 6 hours. Man does it get boring.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Question. I'm assuming the answer is yes, but the guy that did my tatts said no.

Does pinning over a tattoo (for example on delts) screw the ink? I know the ink is under the first 2 layers of skin & when you pin you're going through all the layers, so my guess is yes?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
worst one of mine was the stomach and upper rib area.. imagine 5 hours of a needle making your abs flex at a retarded rate. I was exhausted afterwards.
I've got 12 hours on my stomach, rib cage, and sternum. done in multiple sessions however. I used to laugh at people that said tattoo's hurt because I had ink all over...I quite laughing after those sessions.

I have ink all over and I have a definite recomendation on fresh tattoo and lifting. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING AT THE GYM WITH FRESH TATTOO. Unless you have sanitized it.

I kneeled on a pad to do rope ab crunches after getting the front of my leg and knee done. Ended up with a staff infection picked up off the pad in the gym. Nasty pain till I got on antibiotics. Since it was around my knee walking was quite painfull

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Mine was lower back ( just above ass crack)...LOL I almost passed out and I bit his chair.......But that didnt stop me, 8 later..:)

ktw

Awards
  • Established

Adams
This is what Ed Hardy told my artist word for word. Yah that Ed Hardy you all wear on your clothes to be hip.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
So far my one leg piece is 23 hours. Sucks having ~6 4 hour sessions and having to take breaks from anything that can rub the area (everything) for that long. I want to get my arm and chest done next but I'm not sure I would wanna take off lifting for a few months for that.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
This is what Ed Hardy told my artist word for word. Yah that Ed Hardy you all wear on your clothes to be hip.
I think the only people that care what he says are the white belt wearing scenesters. :D

Like we all stated, A&D works, and just use it sparingly regardless. I think Glen got his advice.

Toughchick, tell us one more time how many you have.. I didn't get it the first time.

:nutkick:

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I think the only people that care what he says are the white belt wearing scenesters. :D

Like we all stated, A&D works, and just use it sparingly regardless. I think Glen got his advice.

Toughchick, tell us one more time how many you have.. I didn't get it the first time.

:nutkick:
I'm sorry, you might be smart when it comes to anabolics but apparently you are not when it comes to tattoo art. Ed Hardy is a revolutionary, he changed the face of tattooing in America. I can't even start to explain how he changed the face of the entire practice, from the actual artwork to the technique itself. Ed Hardy was a big name before that lame ****ing clothing line and there is a reason why he got that big. Every good artist strives to maybe obtain half of his greatness. He's got way more cred than you are giving him.

But.

His explanation is the same as was mentioned before. All ointments are bad, they sit on the surface of the skin and change the pigment, dispersal, and way the ink is retained. A favorable alternative is Neosporin Pain. You have to apply more of it, but the result is pretty apparent. Everyone I know that has used A and D has way duller ink than mine, which is made exactly the same, the only difference being the recovery method. To each their own, but this is a proven method from a long time industry leader so I will stick with it.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the only time I heard of him was when I saw everybody and their grandmother wear mesh hats with his designs emblazoned on them. Hence my "scenester" comment.

I'm not versed in the deep history of Tattoo Art, aside from knowing that the actual practice came out of the Marquisian Islands and went through Tahiti/Moorea/ F.Polenysia and then so on and so on.

Regardless, I was just making a short crude remark on white-belt scenesters who wear Von Dutch and Ed Hardy.

I plead ignorance with regards to Mr. Hardy and hope to not insult his name by likening him to my so called "scenesters" who I attempted to disparage. I admire you backing him up and I see you have at least the same feelings about the trendiness of the clothing line. :D

I apologize for steering this off topic.

I've used A&D, Neo, and "nothing", and have had similar results with all.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well having no clue on my own i just did what my artist said to do and that was use AD ointment ... he did a phenomenal job on the tat and has been doing if for 7 years ... the guy that owns the actual shop has been doing it for close to 20 .. i have no idea which is better or whatnot, but as the tat is healing it looks great :)

and i'm sorry still waiting for my roommate to quite being lazy and take a damn pic

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikeSumthin General Chat 19
MadStax Anabolics 5
Anabolics 32
mrhankey87 Supplements 4
ponysteak General Chat 10