"your not a professional bodybuilder"

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
so I'm eating breakfast today. Got my 60g's protein in (which I try to get in every meal) from eggs and egg whites. My dad goes "hey, how mugh protein is in that meal, anyway." I tell him about 60g's. He gets all wierd and says "you probably dont need much more then the average person. I would say 70g's should cover your whole day. Your not a professional body builder you know"....:wtf:

In a class named "sports nutrition" that I took in 11th grade, the teacher said "80g's of proetin is pleanty if your building lean mass. Spatch, how much protein do you get in a day." "I'd say... 300g's give or take." "My word, who do you think you are?"

I guess were not supposed to eat like a bodybuilder untill we flip a magic switch and become one :blink:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I would venture to say a lot of guys do indeed ingest more then they need to grow.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Spatch, you mean to tell you mean you havent hit the 'switch' yet?? :D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
LOL Spatch, welcome to the real world where ignorance is rampant and common sense isn't common. I had similar experiences in my college nutrition course, I took a protein shake w/oats and got drilled about it and was told I could die by a guy who smokes a pack a day none the less

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ignorance is rampant by both communities though. The non-lifter and the lifter.

If you are 160 pounds and of very little muscle mass do you really need to take in 5000 calories?

1. People think you can get big and muscular eating 1500 calories and 50 grams of protein.
2. People think you can only get big and muscular eating 4500+ Calories and 400 grams of protein.

I would tend to believe both are wrong for the average person here. We're not talking about the genetic freaks or the 250 pound 12%BF bber either. Just the average guy like you and me.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so I'm eating breakfast today. Got my 60g's protein in (which I try to get in every meal) from eggs and egg whites. My dad goes "hey, how mugh protein is in that meal, anyway." I tell him about 60g's. He gets all wierd and says "you probably dont need much more then the average person. I would say 70g's should cover your whole day. Your not a professional body builder you know"....:wtf:

In a class named "sports nutrition" that I took in 11th grade, the teacher said "80g's of proetin is pleanty if your building lean mass. Spatch, how much protein do you get in a day." "I'd say... 300g's give or take." "My word, who do you think you are?"

I guess were not supposed to eat like a bodybuilder untill we flip a magic switch and become one :blink:

When I took that class in high school, our text said that you need to eat 0.9g/ lb bodyweight of protein. Which some might say is a little low, but it's a little bit more than a flat rate of 80 grams. I guess when you get right down to it, it really all depends on your own personal protein turnover rate, everything else is just based on statistics.

chris3g

Awards
When I took that class in high school, our text said that you need to eat 0.9g/ lb bodyweight of protein. Which some might say is a little low, but it's a little bit more than a flat rate of 80 grams. I guess when you get right down to it, it really all depends on your own personal protein turnover rate, everything else is just based on statistics.

you sure about that? It probably said .9g / kg

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's another thing that I see that varies...

1.5-2 Grams of protein/lb/kg of total bodyweight/lean mass weight.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah and 6-8 years ago it was 1g per pound of BW, then some guys started saying 1.5g, then pros were talking up 2g. It's just going to depend on what you want and where you are going with your physique goals. I maintain fine with 1g/pd but I have no aspirations of getting much bigger than my current 183.

It's a perception thing too. Some people look at me and remark how huuuge I am, lol. Others, when they learn how much I eat or lift will remark that I don't look like a bber (not that I am, but I have some characteristics).

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
Protein requirement is a function of LBM and BMR. My offseason weight is in the 250's (where I am now) and my maintenace diet is around 4000-4500 calories, 350-400 g protein. When I bulk I just add 1 more meal per day and up my carbs a bit. I have modeled my training and diet after the great Dorian Yates and have had nothing but success. His training style works wonders for me, and as far as diet, he always advised not to go more than 500-750 cals above maintenace while bulking. And i do just that. Slow, steady gains are the name of the game. Any more than 10-12 lb gain a year (at absolute most - pro's gain maybe 5 lbs a year but they also have less room to grow), it's going to be mixed with fat and water.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Protein requirement is a function of LBM and BMR. My offseason weight is in the 250's (where I am now) and my maintenace diet is around 4000-4500 calories, 350-400 g protein. When I bulk I just add 1 more meal per day and up my carbs a bit. I have modeled my training and diet after the great Dorian Yates and have had nothing but success. His training style works wonders for me, and as far as diet, he always advised not to go more than 500-750 cals above maintenace while bulking. And i do just that. Slow, steady gains are the name of the game. Any more than 10-12 lb gain a year (at absolute most - pro's gain maybe 5 lbs a year but they also have less room to grow), it's going to be mixed with fat and water.
NIce post, I couldn't agree more, I believe slow and steady are the way to go. Not much point in blowing up to 20%bf from 10 in the winter time. I believe most of us take in far too much protein in hopes of getting huge. Our bodies can only handle so much at a time before its wasted or even stored as fat (depending on caloric intake). We also have to keep in mind that your body will process more at certain times of the day. Bottom line is you have to find what works for you. We are all different.

IMHO I believe 1-1.5g/lb bw is a good number

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yes whatever works for you i do fine on about 1.25 per body weight