Hair

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Let's see this past November, my hair started falling out in clumps, from the scalp, it was gross. So I cut it GI jane short and dyed it back to brown. And when I upped my thyroid medicine it grew back, thick, curly, I mean perm curly...I was amazed, so I put lots of blonde highlights in it for the summer.

And what happens, 2 weeks ago, it starts coming out in clumps again. I think its the thyroid again, waiting to the 27,to talk to my dr about taking it out. The secretary cant get me in quicker, the derm i go to, dosent know why its doing this.

So I think i may shave my head again, and tye dye it every damn color. Hell why not right???

Any ideas to slow the hair loss down???!

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Get a wig? I dunno really...sounds unpleasant though.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
My wife has this problem associated with Lupus. She goes in and gets some kind of steroid shots in her head that lets them regrow. It has kept her hair in for the most part for 3-4 years at a time.

All I know is it really depresses the hell out of her when it happens because our kids are the ones who usually point it out and bluntly. I wish you the very best in overcoming this and staying strong. I actually have a test on the 27th myself for thyroid therapy. Mine has been going through the wringer.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Let's see this past November, my hair started falling out in clumps, from the scalp, it was gross. So I cut it GI jane short and dyed it back to brown. And when I upped my thyroid medicine it grew back, thick, curly, I mean perm curly...I was amazed, so I put lots of blonde highlights in it for the summer.

And what happens, 2 weeks ago, it starts coming out in clumps again. I think its the thyroid again, waiting to the 27,to talk to my dr about taking it out. The secretary cant get me in quicker, the derm i go to, dosent know why its doing this.

So I think i may shave my head again, and tye dye it every damn color. Hell why not right???

Any ideas to slow the hair loss down???!
What do you think is causing your hair loss? How long have you been taking medications for your condition? How many different meds are you on? The only reason I mention the meds is due to the common side effects associated with statin drugs, hair loss being one of them. I really hope you can find an alternate solution before removing your thyroid. Have you ever tried to adress your thyroid issue by means of nutritional supplementation? I know there is a few different people on this forum (women included) that have endured similar problems with the thyroid and they could be of help to you. In any case, I wish you well and keep us posted!