Newbie looking to purchase motorcycle...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Now that I'm single again and am allowed to buy a motorcycle (that and the fact that gas is rediculous here in California), I've decided to go ahead and buy one here in the next couple of months. I've never riden one before so I want something easy to handle for a newbie such as myself. I'd like to spend no more than $3000 if possible. Any suggestions/questions/comments? Thanks for the help.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
How tall are you and how much do you weigh.... and what type of bike do you prefer e.g. cruiser or cafe racer....

If you are not over 6' and want a cafe racer (crotch rocket) I would suggest a slightly used Honda CBR 600F3

My first steet bike was a Ninja ZX6 back in the day (20 yrs ago) it was nice but once I rode my friend's CBR 600F2, I fell in love. I probably had 5 or 6 Honda CBR's since then and a couple Ninja's (ZX7RR, ZX7R, ZX9R, etc) but I would buy another CBR if I would buy another bike today. Handling, comfort, speed, etc... hard to beat in the total pacakge the CBR gives you. If you really like riding and continue with it, you can then think about a Ducati or Triumph.

Just my $0.02

Now that I'm single again and am allowed to buy a motorcycle (that and the fact that gas is rediculous here in California), I've decided to go ahead and buy one here in the next couple of months. I've never riden one before so I want something easy to handle for a newbie such as myself. I'd like to spend no more than $3000 if possible. Any suggestions/questions/comments? Thanks for the help.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I'm 6' 225 lbs. I'm looking for a crotch rocket considering you can get some decent ones for pretty cheap (as far as I can tell anyways). Something comfortable to ride and that handles well is my main priority.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Perfect! I promise you... you will love the CBR 600. Bike is amazing. I drove it not stop (except for gas) from NYC to Virginia Beach, VA. on a Saturday morning and back again on a Sunday night. Not problems at all. Handle bars and foot pegs are in perfect position.

I'm 6' 225 lbs. I'm looking for a crotch rocket considering you can get some decent ones for pretty cheap (as far as I can tell anyways). Something comfortable to ride and that handles well is my main priority.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Perfect! I promise you... you will love the CBR 600. Bike is amazing. I drove it not stop (except for gas) from NYC to Virginia Beach, VA. on a Saturday morning and back again on a Sunday night. Not problems at all. Handle bars and foot pegs are in perfect position.
Sounds great. Gonna go research it right now. Thanks.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
What is your main use for it? Pleasure (Toy) or to actually drive it everyday to save on gas?

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm with Jay I would go with the GSXR 750 if I were you. That bike handles NICE!!!! Plenty of power if you want to get on the throttle and still cheap on insurance!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep and perfect to still keep around once you're comfortable riding. Some of the semi-sport 600's like the katana are junk once the newness of riding is gone and you're out there looking for an upgrade.

tattoopierced1

sure those are all great bikes, but if you dont know how to ride and only have 3k to spend...get a suzuki sv650. they are cheap, and if you lay it down, cheap to fix. sure it isnt the coolest bike, but if it is your first bike, i highly suggest learning on it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
People who are unable to curb their throttle hand are going to be dangerous no matter the bike. The biggest factor in riding is respecting the machine and its ability to kill you and others.

You can get on a turbo busa as a first bike if you are careful :) Sort of a bad reference but you can jump into a 750 safely if you aren't the type to just drop the clutch and haul ass. I had a ninja 1100 and never dropped it as one of my first bikes.

tattoopierced1

your just more likely to lay it down if you've never rode before..i would want to get a cheap bike that if layed down, is cheap and easy to fix. Throttle control only has a little to do with riding, he could be great on the throttle and clutch and still lay it over on a corner.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
People who are unable to curb their throttle hand are going to be dangerous no matter the bike. The biggest factor in riding is respecting the machine and its ability to kill you and others.

You can get on a turbo busa as a first bike if you are careful :) Sort of a bad reference but you can jump into a 750 safely if you aren't the type to just drop the clutch and haul ass. I had a ninja 1100 and never dropped it as one of my first bikes.
Oh boy, you just reminded me of this video I saw a while back where this guy gets onto his first bike (a CBR 600) just as he's about to pull away he slips the clutch and high sides. :rofl:
edit - Bike Crash - Video
not sure if it's his first bike now, funny none the less though.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What is your main use for it? Pleasure (Toy) or to actually drive it everyday to save on gas?
To save money on gas mostly. But I'd also like to have a little fun with it. Basically a good all around bike that I can afford.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Which 750 are you recommending though? I have had a **** load of bikes and back in the day every 750 I had was uncomfortable to ride after 30 minutes due to the angle of the bars and the positioning of the pegs. GSXR, ZX7R, etc.... Not sure how much they have changed since then but just curious what your thoughts were...

750 then.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Ducati's aren't good street bikes anyway, A 600 will walk all over a Ducati 999 on the street, the track now thats a different story!

Yup I would say a GSXR 750 is your best overall bike. I have been riding for about 9 years now and I have had many bikes. Rode everyone they make besides the the 1400 which looks GAY anyway..... I think my next bike will be the GSXR 750, that is a solid bike!

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Never heard anyone suggest they aren't good street bikes and I have yet to see a 600cc bike compete with any Ducati let alone a 999 but it is all personal taste at the end of the day. I have been riding motorized bikes since I was 5 (broke my arm Christmas morning on a minibike from Sear & Robucks that my grandfather bought me - hahaha) and have recently jumped up to the BMW K1200R and nothing compares to that bike except of course my 2007 Ducati Desmosedici but that is not coming in for a while.

Ducati's aren't good street bikes anyway, A 600 will walk all over a Ducati 999 on the street, the track now thats a different story!

Yup I would say a GSXR 750 is your best overall bike. I have been riding for about 9 years now and I have had many bikes. Rode everyone they make besides the the 1400 which looks GAY anyway..... I think my next bike will be the GSXR 750, that is a solid bike!