Attention personal trainers need your opinion.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
What are your thoughts on the industry? Are you happy with where you train at? How much do you make on average? I am looking to become ISSA certified so I can get myself into training in a studio around town. I could use the good pay while I'm in school. However, I have heard that training is difficult to do long term. Is it worth it?

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Career Salaries and Salary information : Career Explorer

input your zip code.

Not sure how well independent trainers are doing but I know a few trainers who work for personal trainer companies at local gyms and they make an average of $45 for 45 minute sessions. However, as I am sure you are aware, not all of that goes into their pockets.

I have friend who has a select (very high worth) clientele who pay him dearly for personal sessions in the gym and at home. He is clearing $125k a year.

njmuscle66

DS Board Rep
Awards
I am certfied through ISSA and it is a good basic cert for most commercial clubs. If you are looking for a career I would lean more towards the ones offered by the American College of Sports Medicine and National Stength and Conditioning Association. I have always used it just to supplement my income since it is not typical for a trainer to make in the six figures. Very competitive business, marketing and being in an ownership position of a facility is critical for a lucrative income-........but a great job for someone just looking for some extra income

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Training...well, its one of those things that you've got to go all out on if you want to make any money. You can't just show up somewhere and start making cash.

Marketing yousel is critical, getting in front of people is critical, and not having any problems harassing people into giving you $50/hr to walk them around like children.

I train a few clients at a time...I wouldn't want to make a career of it. Its competitive and you're basically a sales person (I hate sales). To supplement your income, its great. Even training 2-3 people at a time I'm making a few extra hundred per month. I usually charge between $40 and $50, but I only get to clear between 25 and 30 per hour because of gym dues.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree with Nj and kwyck, its cool if a passion and have a facility, but sux for the sales, as fat trainers, and trainers who have people on crash diets are the norm. Not to mention client trainer relations :)lol:) Over all get a Nasm, or the ones NJ mentioned, as clubs have their prefs. but knowing which one is the most widely accepted is great also. I wish I could train people, but seriously its far and in between the ones that will take this as seriously as we do...

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree with Nj and kwyck, its cool if a passion and have a facility, but sux for the sales, as fat trainers, and trainers who have people on crash diets are the norm. Not to mention client trainer relations :)lol:) Over all get a Nasm, or the ones NJ mentioned, as clubs have their prefs. but knowing which one is the most widely accepted is great also. I wish I could train people, but seriously its far and in between the ones that will take this as seriously as we do...

Damn right. I've been offered a position as a trainer in the past and from a money making viewpoint its not for someone who is alerady leaning towards a different career. Now, going back to school and getting a BS in sports medicine would be totally kick ass.

BTW, my best bud's cousin is a trainer for 24hr and I just talked to him about it the other day. He says it takes an extreme amount of patience and a lot of the **** that clients do is extremely annoying. When I'm in the gym my socializing CPU gets powered down - totally. I just don't think the gym is a place to fool around. That would be a hyoooge problem.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I owned a studio for eight years, and got burned out big time!!

Was making about 75k per year but the hours were long and the people annoying!

You get them set up on great, simple nutrition programs that they swear they are following, yet not losing weight. Then, after talking to them throughout the session you start to learn about all the cheating they were doing, i.e. extra snacks, extra drinks, blah, blah. I just plain got sick of it!

PLUS...if I wanted to take a week's vacation, it would cost me $5000 in income. My clients didn't pay me when I wasn't training them.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I owned a studio for eight years, and got burned out big time!!

Was making about 75k per year but the hours were long and the people annoying!

You get them set up on great, simple nutrition programs that they swear they are following, yet not losing weight. Then, after talking to them throughout the session you start to learn about all the cheating they were doing, i.e. extra snacks, extra drinks, blah, blah. I just plain got sick of it!

PLUS...if I wanted to take a week's vacation, it would cost me $5000 in income. My clients didn't pay me when I wasn't training them.
I haven't experienced it yet, however I have heard that is one of the most annoying parts of being a trainer - No one really gives a **** and no one ever gets results because they cheat themselves.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah. A lot of them will make excuses like "this is healthy" or "a little piece won't hurt". I'm not even sure why so many of them sign up to begin with, most are impulsive buyers? Anwho, when I hear people say "My trainer" I just laugh because most of the time they are just throwing their money away.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend that is like that. He goes to the gym almost 4 times a week, then on the weekend drinks like a fish. He tries to tell me that he doesn't understand why he can't lose anymore weight. He just says stuff like "I don't eat bad" (Quiznos subs are apparently great for fatloss in his opinion).

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I haven't experienced it yet, however I have heard that is one of the most annoying parts of being a trainer - No one really gives a **** and no one ever gets results because they cheat themselves.
That really depends on where you are training at, I worked as PT for a year Part time and my clients were members who either received time as gifts or part of their membership. It totally blew and none of them really cared about making progress. I have a bud who has worked his way to total free lance, his clients pay big bucks and they want results. 2 extremes of the business!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Nobody makes huge bucks in training..there are VERY FEW. The ones who do make six figures are working so much its retarded. Most people won't pay anybody over $60-70/session if theyr'e repeat customers, not unless you live in Holllywood.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Or Manhatten! and yes he works his arse off, I wouldn't wish that on anybody! Another friend from HS is a trainer for the BSox, I'm sure he gets compensated.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I had an interview last week, the floor walk was woth 6.50$ and hour to them, not to me, I have a wife and son. When training it would be between 20-25 and hour, if they dont show, I dont get that money. Not worth it to me. I like to workout and help people but most arent serious when they leave the gym. Its funny how many people I see go from screaming and yelling in the gym, straight to McDonalds for a number 5!!! It doesnt help that it is right down the road, but dang, go have a shake and some cottage cheese though.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Big bucks to me isn't much money - lol, im in college. I would kill to make at least 30k right now.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Big bucks to me isn't much money - lol, im in college. I would kill to make at least 30k right now.
Definitely doable with some hard work.

Or you can do what I do. I train very few people at a time who are serious, and I make an extra 300-400/month.

I think I'm giong to switch to computer repair though. I hate HAVING to be there for my clients at their every whim. Computer repair is so much more laid back schedule-wise. People will stay home from work so you can drop in, not ask you if you can show up at 8:30 that night b/c they're gonna be late, or 6:30 that morning because they have a meeting, etc.