Calling all cops...

Korrupted

Awards
Anyone here in law enforcement, if so I have a few ?'s for you. Here is the deal... I wanted to be a cop since junior year of H/S after I went to the Police and Fire acadamies. I wanted to be firefighter since I was little but my H/S resource officer showed me the light When I graduated I tested to be a Police Trainee for the Phoenix P.D. but I missed my sit ups by 2 but I passed everything else w/ flying colors. So basically I let it get the best of me and didn't re-try and got complacent w/ my job. I have been training off and on since then and for the past 6 months I have been training my ass of to get back in shape to re-test. I figure it's now or never and I really don't wanna be a office ***** for the rest of my life. I am more than ready for the tests now and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to help me get my foot in the door or any other advice you can think of. I plan on trying out around August or September. If you don't want to post here please p.m. and I will keep your S/N anonnymous. Thanks for the help!!!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never shoot for the minimum in the events. You want to show you're willing to give it all you got. They're looking for heart and dedication as well as determination. Most officers get hired after their 2nd to 4th try. Rare you get in on the first. Go in there ready to blast the hell out of those sit ups so they know you overcame your weakness to be in that dept.

If you haven't been through the poly/mental/interview yet then there's a couple of suggestions.
Poly
1. Poly. No matter how small and no matter how far back if you are able to remember something it asks on the sheet then put it down and the situation regarding it. I've known guys to fail the poly on sexual crimes because he remembered during the interview that he saw his cousin naked when he was a kid. Luckily at that moment he was able to adjust and passed.

2. If you fail a poly due to lying you'll pretty much never get a job as a cop even at a dept that doesn't require polys because they do ask if you have taken and failed one. Saying yes will keep you frombeing hired.
Mental
1. They are going to get knee deep into your family history. Be open and honest but if you answer questions saying you'd rather take out a gunman over helping a lady cross a street you can fail.
2. Failing ment evals will not keep you from re-applying in most depts. Polys will...go figure.

Interview

1. Brush up on situational circomstances involving having your partner do things they shouldn't do.

2. Accepting free things isn't the right thing

3. Always notify back up and notify your superior.

4. When you don't know don't bull**** the answer. Tell them you don't know.

5. They are testing your ability to make decisions and use proper judgement and integrity/honesty. They know you aren't a cop.

6. Be straight forward and respectful. No yeah's but yes sir or no ma'am.

7. Know why you picked that dept. over another one. Know your short term and long term goals. Let them know what you can bring to their dept. And at the end make sure they know you appreciate the chance for employment and you look forward tobeing on the force.

Don't try to hide anything. they will run a complete background with your criminal history and license history. If you like to speed or have other moving violations that show disregard and are recent. You may want to hold off a few years.

Good luck man!

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Wow, way to hook a brotha up Jayhawkk, great post :thumbsup:

Korrupted

Awards
Jayhawkk- That is a lot of help, thanks!

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
Do some research on the City itself just in case they ask for any break downs on crime or local politics. Some things like knowing who the mayor is helps. I know it sounds weird but some places will ask general question. Get a new suit. Try to look at each interviewer in the eye while talking. Make a pint that you want the job and that you are ready for it.

As far as the physical fitness goes you shouldn’t have to get in shape or train for a test. You should stay in shape and always be ready. I did 14 years of SWAT and we had to be ready for what ever we were asked to do. Not being on special units is not a excuse to not workout. The guys you do resent the one who don’t. Plus it makes it much easier to eat donuts and not look too fat. If working out is a normal activity for you, you can do things like that. And yes I did eat a donut every now and then. Then there were the In and Out double double. Awe yes life can be good at 0200 hrs.

Korrupted

Awards
Thanks, I am not a big fan of donuts so staying in shape won't be too hard :)

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
No FPD 20 years and I still like the old style donuts. Truth is we didn't eat them often and would joke about it making up reasons why it was ok when we did. Apple Fritters we would say have apples and they are good for you in fact a apple a day keeps the Dr away.

I never eat them on duty and stayed out of restaurants while on duty. I would bring protein bars and water and supplements. When our SWAT team went full time we would all meet at HQ to eat out of the public’s eye. I have nothing against it for other guys just sitting in a restaurant was not my thing All kidding aside it’s hard enough out there being in shape.

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
I did a reserve deputy programme in FL for a bit, loved it. It is a great career and lifestyle, I just chose the military instead.

Best of luck mate!

Korrupted

Awards
I did a reserve deputy programme in FL for a bit, loved it. It is a great career and lifestyle, I just chose the military instead.

Best of luck mate!
Thanks, I almost joined the Marines. I was in ROTC throughout H/S so I could join at a higher rate, etc. But I decided against it, sort of wish I had. Would have prepared me for the P/D to some extent and probably bumped up my chances for hiring.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Usually get a 10 point bonus for having military time. It can help a lot on depts. that aren't hiring many at a time like most county police.