sweatiest city in the United States

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Offbeat News
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Phoenix sweats most but Miami suffers more

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Phoenix on Wednesday was named the sweatiest city in the United States, but Miami topped the list as the most uncomfortable American city due to its mix of humidity and heat.

The fifth annual sweat survey sponsored by Procter & Gamble Co. handed the dubious distinction to the Arizona capital for the third time. El Paso, Texas, earned the title in 2004 and San Antonio, Texas, in 2002.

The study of 100 cities estimates the amount of sweat a person of average weight and height would produce walking around for an hour in the average high temperatures of a particular city during June, July and August.

The latest survey found that the average Phoenix resident produced 26 ounces (0.77 liter) of sweat per hour during a typical summer day last year when the desert city's high temperature averaged 93.3 F (34 C).

It means that in under three hours, Phoenix residents collectively produced enough sweat to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool, said Jay Gooch, sweat expert at Old Spice, a Procter & Gamble Co. antiperspirant brand.

But Gooch said Phoenix's humidity was only 22 percent, making it much more comfortable than Miami, with average temperatures last year of 83.9 F (29 C) and humidity of 76 percent, according to government figures.

"In Phoenix you sweat much more than in Miami, but it evaporates quickly as it is such dry air so you don't notice as much. In Miami the sweat stays on your skin," said Gooch.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would bike ride for cardio (and tanning) in the middle of the afternoon in the summer and could loose 4+lbs in about a 45mins ride. Arizona...it's a dry heat ;)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I would bike ride for cardio (and tanning) in the middle of the afternoon in the summer and could loose 4+lbs in about a 45mins ride. Arizona...it's a dry heat ;)
So are a welding torch and pizza oven. As someone who sweats a lot, I don't envy you your location. Christ, I'm dripping sweat when I run in the dead of a New York winter. In shorts. I could never live in the south.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I grew up in the desert. I hate the desert. I hate the heat. I hate laying in bed sweating, not being able to fall asleep.

I moved 1200 miles north and turn on the air conditioner when it hits 70 degrees now (never had air conditioning until I moved into my own apartment at age 18).

Korrupted

Awards
Yeah it's fawking hot here, Supposed to be above 115 degrees this weekend :(

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I heard this on 1510 KFNN yesterday morning... pretty crazy.

I have lived here all my life and it's never been that big of a problem. But yes... this weekend I will def be inside or in the pool.

sizzurp

Banned
Awards
scottsdale here babyy. the one thing that doesnt suck about the desert is that we have the hottest *****es, absolutely dime peices!

Korrupted

Awards
Scottsdale does have some fine tail, but most are rich *****es

HDLowrider

Awards
Jonsers.....I hope it's not an olympic size pool filled with sweat. :D Damned that would be nasty.

I'm cold blooded too. And it gets pretty hot here in Tulsa during the summer. I keep the house about 69-70 all year long. It drives my wife crazy. She wears a coat or sweater in the house even during the summer. I finally convinced her that it was much easier for her to put clothes on then for me to take more off once I was naked and still sweating. If she had it her way the house would be at about 80 and I would die.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
She wears a coat or sweater in the house even during the summer. I finally convinced her that it was much easier for her to put clothes on then for me to take more off once I was naked and still sweating. If she had it her way the house would be at about 80 and I would die.
I dealt with people like this at work all the time. I had an indoor thermometer and it had to hit 85 degrees before the boss finally gave in and told the complainers a version of what you said, that being, "cold can be solved with a sweater, but people can't be working in their underwear. Bring a sweater." At least you love the one who was heating you up. Imagine if it was a bunch of 20 pound old bitties who would complain about the freezing cold of a welding torch. I was in hell. Burning up, literally.