How to search vBulletin sites

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I originally post this in a “newbie” thread with maybe not the best tone. I was surprised at how many people liked this post and were not aware of some of the search methods available to them. If I sounded bad I do apologize, the original post was aimed at people that didn’t bother to search, not those that weren’t overly computer savvy. None the less several people rep ed me out for this post and I have had a request from another board to post a more detailed version. I will be adding/correcting things here as I see them or as people point them out. Here it is.

Ok vBulletin search engine sucks, sorry it does. I could give a long list of things wrong with it but it suffices to say that it’s underpowered and ill suited for our needs. So for our purposes here lets skip to a search engine that really works, Google.

The SITE operator:
Google has a site search function that is often overlooked when people need to search a specific site. The format for this is simple

“site” colon “website domain name” “search terms here”

Lets say that we are looking at doing a first cycle and we want more info on methoxy trenbolone. The brand we have access to is mega TRN. First we try search the site for “first cycle” Example

site:anabolicminds.com first cycle

The operator here is “site” with “anabolicminds.com” being the domain name of the site. This is not part of the search term, it is an operator on the term “first cycle”. An operator is a function or a condition we place on a search term. There are hundreds of different operators that programs use of which only a dozen are common. Google like most programs has its own version of them but they still work in the same basic ways. We can use any order or number of operators to refine our search.

The above search yielded 980 pages. All these are from anabolicminds.com. To reduce the number of hits we need to ether add another term or add another condition. Let’s add “TRN” to the search term. Now we have 145 pages/hits. That is still too many so let’s add the words “dosage”. Now we are down to 64 pages. The final search term should look like this

site:anabolicminds.com first cycle TRN dosage

Understand here that the reason that reason adding search terms narrows the search is because there is a default operator at work here, the AND operator. Google reads the above statement like this

site:anabolicminds.com first AND cycle AND TRN AND dosage

Any result must have those four terms on that page. There is a limit to how many terms you can add but your not likely to ever use them. If you can’t narrow your search down enough with four terms you probably need to use an additional operator.

The OR operator:

Lets say that your looking into not just TRN but superdrol as well. Rather then run two seprate searches you would use the OR operator to add the term superdrol to the search term. The OR operator is an inclusive operator, that is it doesn’t exclude any search results just adds to them. In this case it allows any page to be listed that has the search terms “first”, “cycle”, “dosage” , along with the term “TRN” or “superdrol” or both of them. This is will return more hits then the original search term. 62 hits vs. 164 hits. The final search line should look like this

site:anabolicminds.com first cycle TRN OR superdrol dosage

Note there is also an order of presence here, the OR operator is higher up on the list then the AND, so it is executed first. To keep things clear you can use commas to separate you search terms. Google will not care but it can make things easier to read. Like this:

site:anabolicminds.com first cycle, TRN OR superdrol, dosage

The NOT operator.
The symbol for the not operator is the minus sign. This is one of the most useful operator as it can be used to get rid of unwanted results. Lets try searching for synthol on anabolicminds. But I really don’t want to read about that f***ing tool valintino again. So I will use the Not operator to remove the results that mention him. I started with 212hits and went down to 180.

site:anabolicminds.com synthol -Valentino

This works well with the QUOTES operators to get rid of ads.

Note: I hate ads, pop ups and otherwise. And few things are as irritation as trying to do some serous research and getting ten billon hits of useless crap. And it is useless to try and narrow you topic down as these a**holes pad their page headers with hundreds of key words to try and get picked up by the search engine as much as possible. While you can make sure that they never get any of your patronage you really can’t avoid these ads. You have to get rid of them manually. See the example below. Google does a surprisingly good job at keeping the results fairly clean of ads (it just lets them post on the side) but not all of them. This is largely for other search engines. (This will work on most).

The QUOTES operator
The QUOTES operator means just what you think, the exact phrase or information within the quotes as its written. Let’s say I am trying to read up on steroids and need to narrow the search. So we are going to use the not operator and the QUOTES to filter out some of the garbage. We started off with 29.9 million hits for steroids and by adding the terms “-abuse -buying news” and ended up with 6.6 million hits and the sites list are more what we are looking for. But this is a little too restrictive what we are really wanting is to get rid of ads. So we can try this

steroid -"buy steroids online"

This cuts out a great deal of the ads that a lot of search engines don’t catch. It also narrowed our search considerably. We can also use the QUOTES with the AND operator to include very specific things. Example

marijuana "didn't inhale"

Guess what that one turns up?

The TILDE operator.
This is a neat one, when you put his in front of a word it will also search for the synonyms as well as the word itself. For example I want to search for “hormone treatment” I can add the TILDE to the term “treatment” and Google will return also the results for “hormone therapy” as well. If you add the TILDE to the term “hormone” you will not only get the term hormone but estrogen, testosterone, and so on. Example

~hormone therapy

This will return any kind of hormone therapy.

The LINK operator.

This one is occasionally useful. For instance if you were looking for pages that link to webMD you would go:

Link:webmd.com

While this is useful sometimes you can do this with other search options.

This is by no means all the search functions or methods. These are just the ones that I use. You can also go to the advanced page ( Google Advanced Search ) and do this the long way. The Google cheat sheet can be found here and has a lot more functions and such.( Google Help : Cheat Sheet )