what percent of guys in your gym train legs?

how many guys train legs at your gym?

• under 10%

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • 10-30%

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • 30-50%

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • over 50%

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I notice that not many guys in my gym train legs at all. I go to a golds gym and I have to say this might be the least hardcore of all the gold gyms in the country. EVERYONE basically trains chest and arms only. On occation you will see someone do t-bar rows or something for back.

I can squat more than anyone at my gym... mainly because the only other 2 people i have seen squat were a middle aged woman and a 12 year old kid. How many dudes train legs at your gym?

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Not many. Most of the time I am the only one doing stuff like squats and deadlifts.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Not many. Most of the time I am the only one doing stuff like squats and deadlifts.
Odd I guess I go to a good gym. Pretty much everyone I see regularly does legs there. Its weird but the crowd that is there when I go all seem to have the same split as me :) . A colleague and I were chatting one day and I guess she noticed that I was wearing shorts so she commented how on I wasn’t lazy because I worked my legs and SHE says to the person sitting besides her "ever go to a gym? they ALL have legs like me" and points to her own "normal" :legs. :rofl:

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
The only other person I ever saw at my local gym doing legs was a friend that was copying my routine.

HDLowrider

Awards
Same at my gym. Not many. Probably about 25-30%. I'm a little neglent on the legs to but I'm working on doing better. :)

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Hey you can't see your legs in a t-shirt at the bar!:squat:

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
All I know is that I NEVER have to wait on any Leg equipment ;)

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
30-50% that train legs in some fashion, whether it be a wussy workout or not. 10% that do squats.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I see guys doing QE's sometimes, but also dudes who stare at me like I'm raping a child when I'm doing deep squats...These are the wankers whose arms are almost as big as their quads...

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
All I know is that I NEVER have to wait on any Leg equipment ;)
Not to do legs anyway. But there's always a person who wants to do curls in the rack at my gym. I see that and I just want to go over and :nutkick: .

Spartan117

Awards
The time I go, I only know of two guys who do legs besides myself. One guy is 70 and in damn good shape. The other guy is about my age and is pretty serious about working out. I see more woman working legs than anything. Everybody tells me they don't want big legs...I don't understand it.

SROB

Awards
I know the gym I was going to before was only me and my workout partner. I would see people who thought they were working legs but I don't consider loading up the leg press and only moving it two inches working legs.:lol:

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I dont train legs in the gym because of cycling. I cannot cycle the day after because of soreness. Not cool missing a nice day of riding when in North Dakota you aren't sure you will ever see a warm day again.

rocketscientist

Awards
Well - there are two questions in this. How many people do train legs and of these, how many people really train their legs....

Very few train their legs and most of these are women. Or as some guy said, 'it always makes me feel gay when I train my legs...' :wtf:

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
Not many and those that do only do partial reps.....one guy even interupted me mid-set once to tell me I was going to low and I was gonna wreck my knees.........:rolleyes: I was like uh-huh, I can tell you know what you're doing with them chicken legs you're sportin'....

jecko

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably 30-50% of the people I see during the hours I regularly train.

I do curls in the squat machine but that's when it isn't being used :) usually so many using the arms and chest equipment that this is the last place to get curls done.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It is utterly pathetic how few guys train legs.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
All the females that go to the weight room i'm at does extensions and some leg curls. there used to be a guy that went on the abductor/adductor for thighs but he's gone. i guess 10% of the guys do legs.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
It is utterly pathetic how few guys train legs.

I love doing squats at my gym for this reason. I dont do it for the "thats pretty good weight" looks I do it for the "what the hell is he doing" looks.

:squat:

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Although I like seeing guys go from 250 Lb bench presses to 150 Lb squats, haha

I thought the rack curl was only at my gym, very annoying.

I think my workout partner and I are the only members that use the leg press.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Although I like seeing guys go from 250 Lb bench presses to 150 Lb squats, haha

I thought the rack curl was only at my gym, very annoying.

I think my workout partner and I are the only members that use the leg press.
I think I'm the only one who uses our one and only power rack for heavy squats. I love seeing the looks that I get when I load 4 plates a side and bang it out for reps, especially seeing that little P.O.S. squat bar they have bend like it's made of rubber.

Actually had a guy tell me that I did the two exercises he hates the most back to back (Heavy Squats and Barbell Rows), while he was loading up the smith machine. Sorry, if I'm going to squat, it damn sure isn't going to be in a smith machine, that's what the pins in the power rack are for. :squat:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It would be more like 40-50% if I include all the women (and few guys) who train their abductors and adductors but that's a pretty gay exercise so I'd say 10-15% at best. At least I don't have to ask people to let me work in LOL

Dave@NU

Awards
I'd say between 40-50 percent train legs. Maybe 20% actually squat and then maybe 5% actually do it correctly. Too many people getting busy on the benches to care about legs.

Spartan117

Awards
I get the excuse that they walk all day so they are working them all the time. Some of the guys also say that no matter how hard they work them they don't grow and I'm like not working them is definatley the way to fix that.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Adductors machines a gay exercise? I think not, adductors are often neglected and it's very noticable when looking at a persons leg development, look at the adductors on Tom Platz or Nasser El Sonbaty at his best, they both took the time to train them. I know Lee Priest does as well.

Ok as far as legs they are up their with back for me i love training them both, i'll do front squats, back squats, hack squats, heavy barbell step ups, glute-ham raises, donkey raises, you name it i love it, ya legs hurt but i like it call me sick but i love it actually. I love having a hard time getting off the leg press or falling over after squats, lol. I think most neglect them out of laziness, because legs can take a TON of volume and let's face it you'll have times that you puke, get light headed, need to lay down, need help getting off of machines etc. Since we are on the topic this was tonights leg workout:

Reverse Hack Squats: 4x 8-10 reps
Leg Press with feet high on the plate: 4x8-10 reps
Barbell Step ups: 4x8-12 reps

Glute-ham raises: 4x 8-10 reps
Lying leg curls: 4x8-12 reps
Adductor machine: 4x10 reps

Standing Calf Raises: 4x10 reps
Seated Calf Raises: 2x10 reps
Donkey Raises: 4x10 reps

I've started changing up my workouts from workout to workout so this will all change next time. I still believe in squats as your main mass builder, BUT on that ppl REALLY over look is step ups and lunges. I prefer step ups, but don't just take it easy on them guy HEAVY and use a barbell so your having to use more stabilizers, this is equal to a squat imho. What's also nice about them is that if you have an adjustable platform like i use you can change the focus so you can hit hams/glutes more or more quad. My number one favourite is box squats though, love em.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Just a note they got rid of the glute-ham raise in my gym so i just go backwards on the lat-pulldown machine and lock my legs in and have been doing negatives. I can do regular ghr's no problem with a good amount of weight as well but doing them this way i'm having to build up my strength before i can even do a full rep. But i still miss the glute-ham raise, nothing gave me more hamstring size and power than that.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow almost all the regulars at my gym work legs they might not do squats but the do leg presses, seat leg presses, calf raises etc. I'd have to say about 75% of the people i see everyday work legs at least once a week

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
barely anyone does legs at my gym, than again I am at a mainstream gym with lots of people that come once and never again. Speaking of legs as well, today I saw these guys at my gym I have seen a few times, very big guys, 250+ with what looks like 10-11% bf, so fairly lean. The funny thing was the guys calfs were the same size as mine which is seriously sad as hell for their size, even for my size my calfs are small, I just laughed and wondered how they didn't work them ever. They always seem to do the same split and grunt as loudly as possible so everyone will look.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
A good amount of guys at my gym have good calfs, but most puss out on leg training and just go through the motions, i can honestly say myself and maybe 5 other guys go crazy on legs. If you can walk right the next day you haven't done enough, lol.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
I go to the gym at kind of odd hours but I would probably say about 25% of guys train legs at my gym. I have never had to wait for the squat rack or the leg press.

Peter Piper

Awards
We have a very good split of serious weight trainers in our gym including: power lifters, body builders, prof athletes and of course, the posers.

The leg section as well as the chest section are always very busy and you have to plan your routine accordingly.

It is interesting to note that there are certain times that legs get trained eg the Bbuilders and the power lifters will train on the same days. The posers will then train in the other side of the gym. LOL

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I have been at my new gym for 3 months and i have not seen anyone in that time train legs, only me :) I go at a busy time to, 5-5:30ish

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I have been at my new gym for 3 months and i have not seen anyone in that time train legs, only me :) I go at a busy time to, 5-5:30ish
That is utterly pathetic on the part of your fellow gym-goers (if they can even call themselves that). My legs are pretty puny. I am genetically geared toward marathoning (have run 4 at pretty solid paces considering minimal preparation), so I'm guessing my legs have a very high percentage of slow twitch (Type I) fibers. Nonetheless, I pummel my legs week after week, and they are lightyears ahead of where they were. Noone has told me I have chicken legs in a couple of years--though my calves still aren't nearly as good as TC's ;)

TC, hopefully you can lead the revolution and get these slackers squatting.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
only a few train legs in my gym......the smaller guys that do are the ones who do it right anyway, they atleast go paralell.

as for everyone else they put on double the weight they can handle and do half a box squat and exhale their all mighty roar like they have a rusty propane tank coming out their ass.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Beowolf i couldn't run a marathon if my life depended on it, lol. I'm in good cardiovascular shape because i do cardio like 6 days a week. But my legs get in the way, lol.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I said at my gym(considered to be the only TRUE gym in town), that only 10-30% do squats. Majority usally half-a$$ them when they do them.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I train legs once a week pretty hardcore. I'm not the strongest squatter in the world but I faithfully do them, I think the reason why I really focus so much on legs when I do them is because my legs are so freaking strong when it comes to anything but squats, I have a personal goal to squat 315 for 8 by Christmas! :squat:

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I love training LEGS, Especially hams! I wish I could still squat. I got umbilical hernia in Feb. I stick to heavy leg press and everything else. And yes I even use the "gay" hip abducter machines too. So does Jay Cutler. Dont see anyone giving him Sh*t.

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
And yes I even use the "gay" hip abducter machines too. So does Jay Cutler. Dont see anyone giving him Sh*t.
Me too brutha.....I think it helps my squat.....not too mention good rehab for a f*cked up hip flexor :D

jecko

Mess

Awards
  • Established
not much, i can count them in two hands, besides i stopped working out heavy for legs as i'm finding issues with clothes,pants are always tight around the leg and in many cases i have to take bigger waist size to fit comfortly around my legs,

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
i see alot of guys train legs at my gym........ i've had to wait a few times to get on the leg press machine before. i actually only train my gluts and hams really...... im too wimpy and lazy to start training my upper body....... maybe in the next couple of months... :rolleyes:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
First Pitbull thats a nice avatar, second I enjoy doing legs after the fact:D. Squats dont ever get any easier but what can ya say they're squats. No better alternative IMO. I work my legs twice within 9 day split, with squats only one of the days as my knees are not 100%

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I love training LEGS, Especially hams! I wish I could still squat. I got umbilical hernia in Feb. I stick to heavy leg press and everything else. And yes I even use the "gay" hip abducter machines too. So does Jay Cutler. Dont see anyone giving him Sh*t.
I had one in November of 2002, have you had it operate on yet? If not, wait for the horrible soreness after, oh and not being able to work out for a couple months, its ****ty!!

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
That is utterly pathetic on the part of your fellow gym-goers (if they can even call themselves that). My legs are pretty puny. I am genetically geared toward marathoning (have run 4 at pretty solid paces considering minimal preparation), so I'm guessing my legs have a very high percentage of slow twitch (Type I) fibers. Nonetheless, I pummel my legs week after week, and they are lightyears ahead of where they were. Noone has told me I have chicken legs in a couple of years--though my calves still aren't nearly as good as TC's ;)

TC, hopefully you can lead the revolution and get these slackers squatting.

I am working on it, and I even wear my new knee brace to boot.( a 1000.00 special brace just for me)....So I get double the looks when I do my leg routine...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I am working on it, and I even wear my new knee brace to boot.( a 1000.00 special brace just for me)....So I get double the looks when I do my leg routine...
Have I told you that you are more hardcore than most guys I know? :squat:

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
She is tougher than many realize, and a sweetheart on top of that;)

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
What do you all think of glute-ham raises? These things are the most underrated hamstring exercise out their and will add slabs of mass to your hams and increase your deadlift and squat.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
The squat racks at my gym are used for barbell curls first and foremost.

You have to plead to use them for squats.

The Smith machine is almost never, ever used for squats (or lunges for that matter).