top hip-hop artist

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
VH1's top 25 hip-hop artists ever: (I know a lot has to do with their contributions to the rap game, but a few...ie queen latifah,S&P are pretty sketchy) Whatchu all think. My personal top ten would be 1) Pac 2) Biggie 3) A Tribe Called Quest 4) Roots 5) WuTang 6) Nas 7) Eminem 8) Jay-Z 9) Canibus 10) Snoop

25. Snoop Dogg
24. Queen Latifah
23. DMX
22. KRS-One / BDP
21. OutKast
20. Eric B & Rakim
19. Nas
18. Afrika Bambaattaa
17. Fugees / Lauryn Hill
16. Ice T
15. Missy Elliott
14. P. Diddy
13. NWA
12. Wu-Tang Clan
11. Beastie Boys
10. Jay-Z
9. Salt N Pepa
8. Grandmaster Flash
7. Dr. Dre
6. Eminem
5. LL Cool J
4. Notorious BIG
3. Tupac Shakur
2. Public Enemy
1. Run-DMC

dez/null

Awards
funny the last 4 have had people die on it.

Hip Hop=nothing worth having your oun channel for.

C-bizzle

Banned
Awards
That's the ONLY reason their the top 4, because the're dead.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
I got a list here's the order of my list that it's in.
It goes, Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac and Biggie, Andre from Outcast, Jada, Kurupt,
Nas and then me. :D heheheh, know where thats from?

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
uh... I'm not a huuuge hiphop fan, but I do like Outkast quite abit. Eminem is a douche with talent, and I still enjoy Snoop, Busta Rhymes, and a few others.

Kitchen Chemist

Awards
  • Established
I got a list here's the order of my list that it's in.
It goes, Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac and Biggie, Andre from Outcast, Jada, Kurupt,
Nas and then me. :D heheheh, know where thats from?
Nice WYD, eminem is definately my favorite. Most others just sing about the same ****, money,bitches, and cars. As of now 50 is second on my list, i like the reallife **** he sings about. Most rappers don't even own all the **** in there videos, it all rented. Ofcourse, Pac is third on my list, his **** will never get old.

dieseldude

Awards
I have trouble thinking one artist is better than the others, sometimes great artist produce crap too.
I judge hip hop on a per song basis.
How did the Dogg end up at # 25? That does surprise me.

Mike

Kitchen Chemist

Awards
  • Established
I think snoops music has gone downhill from doggystyle on. Each album seems to get worse in my opinion. Specially when he was with nolimit.

DarCSA

Awards
Where is MC Hammer he was bling bling before it ever became popular. He had so much bling and an entourage that went for miles. He may not have been the best but he sure put the pop in hip hop. He was mad with the money.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Dar - that's why he's filed for Chapter 9 twice.

Milo Hobgoblin

Awards
ROFL

Dr Suess is the only rap that was ever worth ****.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I got a better poll, name me one artist(and I use that term loosely) that isn't a perp. GOOD LUCK!

destro19

destro19

Awards
There is a difference between artis and entertainer.  for the art I lke the roots, mos def, Talib, Monch. for entertainmnet I like some Em, Skillz, Dip and State Prop.

mauibuilt

Awards
  • Established
eminem's by far the most intellectual....nas comes close.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
my list of hip hop entertainers/artists is as follows
1. Tupac
2. Eminem
3. Wu Tang
4. Biggie
5. Xzibit
6. Dr. Dre
7. Ludicris
8. Snoop Dogg
9. 50 cent
10. DMX

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
1. KRS
2. Rakim
3. Pac
4. The D.O.C. (prior to auto accident)
5. Eminem
6. Biggie
7. Mos Def
8. Outkast
9. The Roots
10. Too $hort

EDIT: Additions
11. A Tribe Called Quest
12. EPMD
13. Redman
14. Dj Quik
15. Dre

16. De La Soul

labrad

Awards
  • Established
I am not a huge fan of hip-hop, but where the hell is Dre'? I know he is a producer, but in my book that still qualifies as an artist, especially in the rap/hip-hop genre.

quasar

Awards
Y'all need to go to school in this category-
Dj Quik produces, writes, performs, and raps (plus cameos w/ El DeBarge, Mausberg (best rapper ever), Suga Free, AMG)! How about Too Short (10 albums in 10 years) or 2 live crew for all the freedom of speech **** they went through just to perform?

If you think Nas or Eminem have intelligent lyrics, I question your definition of "intelligent"- ever heard of BlackStar (Mos Def & TalibK)?

**** y'all probly never heard of Redman til Blackout (speaking of which Method's the best Wu has to offer, where's everyone else's second releases?)!

The Beastie Boys were at it in the beginning too taking the lead from Run DMC and they aren't perps of anything!

quasar

Awards
has anyone heard "late night"- an unreleased track from DJ Quik featuring 2pac? it's my current fave song...

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Dj Quik produces, writes, performs, and raps (plus cameos w/ El DeBarge, Mausberg (best rapper ever), Suga Free, AMG)! How about Too Short (10 albums in 10 years) or 2 live crew for all the freedom of speech **** they went through just to perform?

**** y'all probly never heard of Redman til Blackout (speaking of which Method's the best Wu has to offer, where's everyone else's second releases?)!
Yeah, Quik is a bad man too. He and Dre are def. in my top 15.

Redman? Another one in my top 15! I still remember Blow Your Mind! One of my fav tracks ever, especially when he was "freakin' in Korean!"

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
There is no way that Public Enemy is number 2. NWA was WAYYYYY more influential and had much more lasting success as well. Ice Cube should be on their somewhere. Run DMC had huge contributions and help solidfy rap in the mainstream. Jay Z is joke (sorry cant stand him). Dre is top 5 not top 10 for sure. LL and Grandmaster definately belong (I was breakdancing for money to Grandmaster when I was in 8th grade ;) ). Em makes the list because hes changed so much so quickly.

I don't see Missy E as being a pioneer at all but oh well. Queen was a pioneer in her day so I can understand that. Beasite Boys are top 10 for sure, the made it ok for white folks to rap! Tu pac is a no brainer. Heck, Too Live Crew had more influence in their day than many of the artists listed above but they certainly were not the most mainstream (lol). Hammer should have made the list; the guy was the golden child of the 80's. That's my two cents.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, you cant forget Too Short, another 80's king. The 80's were the make or break point for rap and these guys were the ones keeping it together and appealing to the masses.

Heck, Nate Dogg has done more IMO than some on that list.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by quasar

If you think Nas or Eminem have intelligent lyrics, I question your definition of "intelligent"- ever heard of BlackStar (Mos Def & TalibK)?

The Beastie Boys were at it in the beginning too taking the lead from Run DMC and they aren't perps of anything!
I saw this after I posted. Agree down the line for the most part. ;)

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
BTW 50cent is the only guy of late that has, IMO, taking wrap back to the hardcore roots it had. The guy is golden in my book.

yourdaddy

yourdaddy

Awards
how did eminem make it on anybody's list??? hes garbage in my opinion. of course his battle raps were tight in 8 mile but thats because he didnt write them. IMO he gives caucasions everywhere a bad name. Wu-Tang definitely belongs up there, especially Method Man and Inspectah Deck. Pac and Biggie cant be left off of anybody's list. Now for the rest of the Wack Pack. Nas and Jay-z have slowly gotten worse and worse since their careers began and are now also garbage. every song DMX puts out sounds exactly like his last one. Then kick P. Diddy, Missy Elliot, and Lauryn Hill off the list for obvious reasons and ur almost there.

Kitchen Chemist

Awards
  • Established
how did eminem make it on anybody's list??? hes garbage in my opinion. of course his battle raps were tight in 8 mile but thats because he didnt write them. IMO he gives caucasions everywhere a bad name. Wu-Tang definitely belongs up there, especially Method Man and Inspectah Deck. Pac and Biggie cant be left off of anybody's list. Now for the rest of the Wack Pack. Nas and Jay-z have slowly gotten worse and worse since their careers began and are now also garbage. every song DMX puts out sounds exactly like his last one. Then kick P. Diddy, Missy Elliot, and Lauryn Hill off the list for obvious reasons and ur almost there.
If you don't think em has skill, then you are one of very few. Have you ever listented to his unreleased stuff when he's fueding with other rappers? Benzino out of the came out with a song dissing him and within a week em had like a 5 min song fuking benzino up. He's definately one of the most skilled artists out there!

yourdaddy

yourdaddy

Awards
Eminem is fine for a TRL rapper, but im not an 11 year-old girl so fuk him. And I didnt necessarily say he was a horrible lyricist, but it takes much more than lyrics to be one of the top 25 people in hip-hop history. What contributions has he made to the art-form other than bringin it to TRL? (hardly a contribution) This is all about opinion, so neither one of us can be wrong, but other than a couple songs (like number 2 on 8 mile), I can barely stand to hear his annoying voice and annoying style for more than 2 seconds. Like i said before, his lyrics arent bad, but one of the top 25 people in hip-hop history? NOT BY A LONG SHOT! then again it is VH1, so what do u expect?

quasar

Awards
em's so unconventional, not lyrically eloquent like others but you can't diss his style for being who he is...

did y'all know Del tha Funky Homosapien is Cube's cousin and wrote most of the Lynch Mob lyrics (classic album); Del's got mad skillz too but of course the underground hip hop always kicks ass over mainstream

"I wanna devise a virus, to bring dire straits to your environment,
crushing corporations with a mild touch, trash your whole computer system and convert you to papyrus!"

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
did y'all know Del tha Funky Homosapien is Cube's cousin and wrote most of the Lynch Mob lyrics (classic album); Del's got mad skillz too but of course the underground hip hop always kicks ass over mainstream
The whole Hiero crew kicks azz IMO. Del and Casual especially.

Don't forget about Pharcyde either.

destro19

destro19

Awards
Originally posted by Supa Freek 420

The whole Hiero crew kicks azz IMO. Del and Casual especially.

Don't forget about Pharcyde either.
forgot all about tjem. I still got 93 untill