Question for the Bike enthusiasts

JPmess

Awards
I'm not a total newbie to biking but, if I have never replaced a part I will have the local shop do it for me. Anyway, when a local shop replaces a single spoke, is it usually bent? When I say bent, I mean more than one bend going up the spoke. I personally would think, through common sense, that a NEW spoke would be fairly straight. Since I have never replaced a spoke, is this common to get your rim back with a bent replaced spoke? This thing is pretty haggared. It basically looks used.

I'm working on pictures but for now I'm just curious. I already called the shop and they said bring it back, and I plan to. Thanks in advance.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
BRENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Where are you when the ONLY bike question is asked ;)

I would say no that is not right. BTW did they true the wheel do you know? Sort of like balancing a car wheel but for a bike.

CROWLER

JPmess

Awards
Yep the wheel is true. I threw the wheel back on my bike and it rides ok, and is true. I still wouldn't think they would use a mangled spoke like the one they threw on there.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If they replace a spoke with a new one, the new spoke should be as straight as the others. I would take the wheel back and have it fixed. A bent spoke isn't a huge deal if it is tight and the wheel is true, but if it is a new spoke that you paid for, it should be straight.

JPmess

Awards
Fixed it and refunded my money, I'm happy! :clap2:

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just had my bike in the shop because they promised me a free 1 year clean/tune up. They said it would take 3 to 4 days before they got to working on it but they called the next day. I am 90% sure they didn't even touch my bike. The stem is lose, (told them to fix it.) and everything is as dirty as before. Maybe they tightened the brakes. haha. Oh well, I like working on my bike myself.