How to shoo-away dudes at the Gym

heftylefty58

Awards
Before I start, I'm a hetero male. Now that we got that out of the way, I'm wondering how you guys politely deny conversation with your fellow gym members. Don't get me wrong--I'm not a ****. I'm never needlessly rude to people.

However, I hate being at the gym any longer than I have to. I prefer to knock out my workouts with as much intensity/focus and as little rest as possible: partly because I need to be home in time for work (I work out ~6am), but MOSTLY because I simply cannot last more than ~1 hr at the gym with the intensity level I work out at. (To prolong my workout is to prolong my misery.)

I already wear headphones, and try not to make eye contact with them, but these other people are just so chatty. The worst part is when they're dying to tell/ask me something as I'm in the middle of my set. (FYI, there's no way in hell I can speak intelligibly during my sets. I'm too preoccupied moving the weight while trying to breathe properly.)

So, how do I let them know I'd rather not talk to them...without hurting their feelings? (I really don't want to hurt their feelings because I truly think they're nice people.)

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Before I start, I'm a hetero male. Now that we got that out of the way, I'm wondering how you guys politely deny conversation with your fellow gym members. Don't get me wrong--I'm not a ****. I'm never needlessly rude to people.

However, I hate being at the gym any longer than I have to. I prefer to knock out my workouts with as much intensity/focus and as little rest as possible: partly because I need to be home in time for work (I work out ~6am), but MOSTLY because I simply cannot last more than ~1 hr at the gym with the intensity level I work out at. (To prolong my workout is to prolong my misery.)

I already wear headphones, and try not to make eye contact with them, but these other people are just so chatty. The worst part is when they're dying to tell/ask me something as I'm in the middle of my set. (FYI, there's no way in hell I can speak intelligibly during my sets. I'm too preoccupied moving the weight while trying to breathe properly.)

So, how do I let them know I'd rather not talk to them...without hurting their feelings? (I really don't want to hurt their feelings because I truly think they're nice people.)
Why can't you just tell them that?

heftylefty58

Awards
So why can't you just tell them that?
I capitalized on an opportunity to tell one guy that a couple weeks ago, and it seemed to work. He took it well, too, and I had a fantastic workout that day.

Unfortunately, this week he seems to have forgotten that conversation.... Yap yap yap yap yap.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I capitalized on an opportunity to tell one guy that a couple weeks ago, and it seemed to work. He took it well, too, and I had a fantastic workout that day.

Unfortunately, this week he seems to have forgotten that conversation.... Yap yap yap yap yap.
Remind him...2 times is usually enough.

I have a somewhat similar problem to you, but with me it's random **** in the gym asking me the same question that 6 other guys asked that week. I have no problem with a little chit chat between sets as long as they are my friends.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you figure it out let me know because i've yet to find a way to tell someone nicely to piss off while i'm working out. Headphones on and blasting. I don't mind lending a hand at spotting or offering advice if asked but full on conversations especially ones with nothing to do with lifting piss me off.

heftylefty58

Awards
Remind him...2 times is usually enough.
I think you're right--the second time might do the trick. Don't get me wrong, though--my situation isn't exactly horrible. It's just distracting.

Good luck with your situation, though.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Pretend you're deaf and start rapidly faking sign language at them.....

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
whip out your weewee and start whacking off right in front of them, they'll never bother you again ;)

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bezzle is such a charmer!

Really, being a prick works. I don't make eye contact with anyone, I have headphones on all of the time, and if someone tries to talk to them I pretend I'm in my own world and ignore them or I'll start sexing up the nearest machine. If you're bad at being a prick, then be as big of price as you can while still being nice.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
in all seriousness, ignore them. who gives a flying fvck if they're offended? they should know better than to bother you while you're lifting. i've had a few here and there that attempt to address me in the middle of a set but i just simply tune them out. after the set, i'll generally ask them what they wanted. i've yet to have anyone cop an attitude.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've yet to have anyone cop an attitude.
lol..I wonder why Beelze....

Weird Guy Trying to Ask Beelze A Quest: "Excuse me, I was wondering blah blah blah"

Beelze: (ignores till end of set)

Weird Guy: "Excuse me you 260lb monster who has a back tattoo bigger then my entire body, I would like to fight you"

Just doesn't seem like a plausible situation..

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
lol..I wonder why Beelze....

Weird Guy Trying to Ask Beelze A Quest: "Excuse me, I was wondering blah blah blah"

Beelze: (ignores till end of set)

Weird Guy: "Excuse me you 260lb monster who has a back tattoo bigger then my entire body, I would like to fight you"

Just doesn't seem like a plausible situation..
that would be funny though. i would say "no no no, i'm 265" ;)

it's just proper gym etiquette. if they don't understand it, then you probably don't want to talk to them anyway and i doubt you'll miss out on any valuable pointers.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I cannot stand when they do it right in the middle of the set. The funnies thing for me is when I come into the gym, and some buddy who is bigger then me will snicker, or do something prickish. And then after my second sead of Deadlifts he is usually asking me something..lol

nickhp123

Awards
I have a creepy gay guy that has followed me around my last 2 workouts. I was nick at first, but after a couple of sets I started to act like a huge prick just to get him off my back and he still doesn't get the point. He doesn't even workout he just stands there and talks to me in the middle of my sets. I started working out at different times just to get away from him.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's your Marla..As in Marla from Fight Club, it has happened to me a few times too..

nickhp123

Awards
Its terrible I know how hot girls feel now. Horny dudes are creepy

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
He's your Marla..As in Marla from Fight Club, it has happened to me a few times too..
marla, the big tourist. like the sore on the roof of your mouth that would heal if you stopped tonguing it......but you can't.

okboy63

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Farting, being a prick, Gym jacking, headphones are all noteworthy ideas and could be used seprately or together to be anti social. But nothing beats permant foul body odor couple(like funky BO) with bad breath.
Farts fade over time
For really hard cases you could do all at the same time.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I had a lot of trouble with this issue, and could not conquer it. I workout at home now, putting dumbells together sucks.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Give em a mushroom slap or hit them with a 45 plate, they shall leave you alone :icon_lol:

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Farting, being a prick, Gym jacking, headphones are all noteworthy ideas and could be used seprately or together to be anti social. But nothing beats permant foul body odor couple(like funky BO) with bad breath.
Farts fade over time
For really hard cases you could do all at the same time.
Lol, I started taking a bunch of fish oil caps before I go to the gym, then I munch on some copenhagen, the BO comes in after about 15 minutes, so I have a good solid ration of Fish Breath/BO going. If anyone starts bothering me, I become instant close talker, it's been working fairly good. Some guys just don't get it though, you have to spell it out and sometimes more than once. Unfortunately I just moved and now I may have to start the process all over again, hopefully not but probably.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Go into the gym with one of those sleeping masks, preferably black satin. Not only would that freak people out, they'd probably wanna stay away from the sleepy dude doing deadlifts and bench presses.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You pay to work out there.

So worry about the workout and not the other gym members.

>>Attractive females excluded of course

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Try not using the word Shoo ;)

Ha, just kidding. But seriously if you were as ugly as I am you would have no problems with them lol

CROWLER

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
My most successful effort was the Charles Manson look I developed. This only helped with the annoying hetero's. Nothing will stop the romo's.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try not using the word Shoo ;)

Ha, just kidding. But seriously if you were as ugly as I am you would have no problems with them lol

CROWLER
That ain't no lie..Crowler has been known to frighten small children.:jaw:

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
i posted a while ago something that happened at my gym... there was man.. large man.. over dramatic lifiting style.. would scream and throw weights down.. you know the kind... anyway.. he was doing some squats.. not too much weight for his size.. maybe 4 plates on either side... breathing heavy.. grunting.. screaming to get ready to lift.... goes under.. lifts off.. squats.. cant do it.. cant make it.. tries tries tries... then $hits himself with the worst case of protein poop i have ever seen or smelled... he ran out of the gym... so in a way he did something to keep the bro's away

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
goto tshirthell.com and buy a shirt that says "sorry guys, i eat pussy" ... maybe that would work

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i posted a while ago something that happened at my gym... there was man.. large man.. over dramatic lifiting style.. would scream and throw weights down.. you know the kind... anyway.. he was doing some squats.. not too much weight for his size.. maybe 4 plates on either side... breathing heavy.. grunting.. screaming to get ready to lift.... goes under.. lifts off.. squats.. cant do it.. cant make it.. tries tries tries... then $hits himself with the worst case of protein poop i have ever seen or smelled... he ran out of the gym... so in a way he did something to keep the bro's away
Wow..That is funny.

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Rub some fina w/ dm** on your kneecaps and no one will come near you:run: Or some Bengay.:run:

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I'm sorry for not promoting a poor sense of humor.
Now that I have some time to reflect on the aforementioned posts ...I am shocked and appalled at my colleagues twisted barbaric, heathen comments. I cannot believe I associate let alone allow myself to get caught up in this onslaught of savage, lascivious, orgy of decripit, low brow humour.

Here is some reps for you my good man...thank you for showing me error of my wrongdoings.::saw:

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
Now that I have some time to reflect on the aforementioned posts ...I am shocked and appalled at my colleagues twisted barbaric, heathen comments. I cannot believe I associate let alone allow myself to get caught up in this onslaught of savage, lascivious, orgy of decripit, low brow humour.

Here is some reps for you my good man...thank you for showing me error of my wrongdoings.::saw:
:icon_lol: :run:

jecko

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I have an idea... I've done this before, its a big hit. Here's the directions.

Step 1. Buy a plain white hanes T-shirt that is comfortable enough to wear to the gym.

Step 2. Get a permanent black market

Step 3. On the front of the shirt print really big "F*ck off"

Step 4. On the back of the shirt print really large "Cram it up your A88"

Or you can just do what Beelz said and whip out your wee wee and start jerking off in front of them.

:rofl:

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I like to wear my underwear on the outside of my gym shorts.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

Not a problem. The underwear over the shorts idea is actually pretty good.

Kish

Awards

Buy yourself an i pod and turn it up loud. They get the hint when you don't answer them...it's cut my workout time down. BS is for after the liftin...good luck.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bezzle is such a charmer!

Really, being a prick works. I don't make eye contact with anyone, I have headphones on all of the time, and if someone tries to talk to them I pretend I'm in my own world and ignore them or I'll start sexing up the nearest machine. If you're bad at being a prick, then be as big of price as you can while still being nice.
Crap!! This is EXACTLY what I do every time I go to the gym (with exception of sexn up to the nearest machine,..cause Im always hanging around the one Im using):blink:

NO wonder the females dont want to talk :nutkick:

I just look like Im pissed off too,..

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I'm sorry for not promoting a poor sense of humor.

Stories of things that have happend does not bringforth one's sense of humour, they account for the situation. I have done nothing but profess the action of the time, it is your own mind which then brings to you what reaction will take.

And my dad can beat up your dad.