So unfair

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
So here I sit after a long week at school, I have a crap load of school work, progress notes, end of the year placements to do for my little ones, and referals for ESY(summer school)......

My hardest case this yr, dad overdosed in front of the 1 yr old and the 3 yr old, herion I believe.....Dad was pulled out of the house, mom is addicted to pain meds, and hollors at these little ones( and lovely language I mean gutter talk), my job this yr, educate her on taking the better road, get out while you can, think of your kids, get some anger management classes, hand outs on dealing with toddlers..etc.....I should add dad has been back and forth all year, living with, not with, living with again....

Finally they go to court thursday, being charged with neglect, the kids get pulled, I know its a good thing, really I do, but when I asked the DCYF worker, can the 3 yr old still come to the last day next week....She says no.

I have something for them, photos of school, friends, fun things we did all year, and a goodie bag of fun things, crayons, stickers, some goop, some gak ( kinda like silly putty, and playdough)............I wanted him to have this.

<Sigh> I know it;s best, but it sucks, its so unfair, and this child is gorgous, a sweetie if i had a child I would want it to be just like this one.

Just a sad rant, seeing as in Rhode island its been raining for 6 days straight, and going to for 5 more.....:(

Last edited:
Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Hey TC. It's good to know that there are people in the system that ACTUALLY care. I'm wondering if you can find out where this child will be in the near future and send it to him? At any rate, I'm sure this child has felt your love, goodie-bag or not, and that is better than any tangible gift you could give him.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
People like this make me sooooo angry.

You are a very good person TC!

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
(((((HUGZ))))))))))) thanks guys,sometimes I just wish I didnt care so damn much.ya know?!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
TC, too often in my academic career I encountered teachers who had an abrasive, antagonistic attitude toward children and seemingly to the career they had chosen. That being said, it's actually pretty heartwarming to see a teacher who obviously cares for their children far beyond the obligatory young student-teacher role. As Bionic said, it would seem by your attitude and the circumstances you described that this child's day was probably brightened by being in your class. It is pretty unfortunate that you will not be able to impart those pictures and such to the child, but I'm sure that would not be what they retained from your class. Most likely it would be the care you showed to them throughout a time when they were shown nothing but neglect. So, you should be happy that you were most likely the only good thing in that child's life all year.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
After you see things like this enough most will tend to get a callous attitude. Police, Nurses, teachers, social workers.

Sometimes it's needed to survive in that field unless you're in and out in a short amount of time. Emotions in constant swing will wreak havoc with your life if you can't seperate yourself and just make sure you're doing what you can to take care of the situation.

If I were you I would contact that person and see if there would be a problem with sending them the items to be forwarded to that child's items inventory. That's a rough job to have and it's one that will keep you forever drained and will slowly burn you from the inside out unless you learn to take some time for yourself and keep yourself healthy emotionally/physically wise.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
(((((HUGZ))))))))))) thanks guys,sometimes I just wish I didnt care so damn much.ya know?!
Ahhhhhh, but you have to learn to care less. I know what you mean, I've worked in social services.

However, it's a sad truth but working the front lines in social services, you will get secondary trauma and experience emotional burnout if you don't teach yourself to keep some distance. It's an extremely emotionally draining job and the people who are able to stay in it for the long haul are the ones who learn to build a little wall around themselves. You do the good that you can do and forgive yourself for the things that you cannot do.