To My Fellow Metalheads...

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It is impossible to play keyboard and look cool.
This video is funny. :rofl:
Percussion solo rocked.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It is impossible to play keyboard and look cool.
This video is funny. :rofl:
Percussion solo rocked.
LOL.....please tell me you were watching Conan yesterday or the day before.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I was watching pumping Iron and got swept up in nostalgia:)

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Damn I'm not even sure how this makes me feel. I see flashing lights, girls that were supposed to be pretty, and the psychedelics are kickin in. Is that Arnie and Franco in a ballet studio? :duel: :djparty:

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
the guy in the white looks like hes checkin everyone out in the band.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Damn I'm not even sure how this makes me feel. I see flashing lights, girls that were supposed to be pretty
Those are all dudes bro:)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I know, I meant the girls from that era just didn't seem that hot to me. But I can see the confusion.
lol..must have been the psychedelics then:)

The guy in the white is actually Rick Derringer, a real famous guitar player in the 60's,70's, etc.

This video is a riot to look at today, but from a music-history perspective its pretty bad-ass. (seriously!) The keyboard player (Edgar Winger) is playing an ARP2600 synthesizer - today one of those in good condition can fetch upwards of $6,000.

bv

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Kind of funny his last name is Winter and he is albino. Johnny Winter too!

Also, someday I am going to own a nice Moog Synth.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you play an instrument Brent?

Guitar.

I have a Carvin Custom Shop DC-127 with their high output M22SD birdge pickup. I play that through a Peavey Triple XXX 2x12 combo amp. 120 tube watts. Pretty heavy sounding rig. (I don't use effects pedals either.)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Guitar.

I have a Carvin Custom Shop DC-127 with their high output M22SD birdge pickup. I play that through a Peavey Triple XXX 2x12 combo amp. 120 tube watts. Pretty heavy sounding rig. (I don't use effects pedals either.)
Ah, the XXX is a sweet amp! Ive been thinking about getting that or a 5150 myself. Right now, I use a Mesa/Boogie Quad through a Marshall 9100. The 9100 is getting sold though, and the Quad never leaves the studio.

darkpoet3113

Awards
i got a krankenstein head, you get so much variety with it, just i get so worry when, touring, people can be so rough with your gear... that why i the only one who set up my rig... acpect my guitar, tech can do that... xxx peavey, is a sweet head/combo.. you can getsome good gain with it.. mesa quad!.... never leaves my studio either!... i love the sound i getting when recording with it... moog synth are the ****e.. you can get some classic analog sound out of it... my key of choice now is yamaha's moif... love that keyboard..
cheers,
darkpoet3113

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hey darkpoet -

Yeah the Quad is my baby:) Run my Ibanez RG1077XL through a Maxon 808 into the Quad - its ready to melt the paint of the walls:)

Moogs are bad ass for sure, but WAY too expensive. You want some old-school analog goodness on the cheap - check out an Akai AX-80 or AX-60.

BV

darkpoet3113

Awards
i hear ya there... money's tight with my studio... but everything thing is expensive when it come to music gear. you try the new toneport ux... it has build in phantom power for mic and **** it's not bad for home computer recording... great with guitar pro or sonar pro... from cakewalk. especially for guys/gals just starting out.. that aren't pro engineers.
cheers,
darkpoet3113

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ah, the XXX is a sweet amp! Ive been thinking about getting that or a 5150 myself. Right now, I use a Mesa/Boogie Quad through a Marshall 9100. The 9100 is getting sold though, and the Quad never leaves the studio.
I would definitely checkout the 5150s (6505s) the gain on them is brutal.
Other amps to consider:
Peavey JSX - Mix of lots of good tones
Marshall JCM2000 DSL - Side by side to my XXX, the DSL is better.
Carvin V3 - Rather new, haven't heard.
Dual Rectifier - My dream amp.

Of course, don't forget about the Bogner Uberschall.

darkpoet3113

Awards
if you check out the 5150 (6505s) you guy better grab yourself a noise suppressor pedal b/c you can't turn that **** up pass 5 without feedback from the signal is crazy b/c the gain is so high!... but it still sound sweet. dual rectifier is the **** when recording, but i wouldn't use it live... otherwise.. fick it... most of this **** in my opinion is from collectors... or gear snobs... the best cab i have is a b52 V412
which only cost me 299.99... best cab i ever had. i've been in the music business for 10 years... some of the best stuff IMO is the cheapest stuff.
cheers, darkpoet3113

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
if you check out the 5150 (6505s) you guy better grab yourself a noise suppressor pedal b/c you can't turn that **** up pass 5 without feedback from the signal is crazy b/c the gain is so high!... but it still sound sweet. dual rectifier is the **** when recording, but i wouldn't use it live... otherwise.. fick it... most of this **** in my opinion is from collectors... or gear snobs... the best cab i have is a b52 V412
which only cost me 299.99... best cab i ever had. i've been in the music business for 10 years... some of the best stuff IMO is the cheapest stuff.
cheers, darkpoet3113
Yeah, I agree - especially live. Im not playing out right now, but when i get back to it Ill probably pick up a dual Recto. I used to cart around a big 8 space rack , 2 4x12's etc. **** THAT! All I need now is a head, a decent cab and a delay pedal.:)

You guys ever use any of the the DSP amps like Line 6, etc? I used to have a POD Pro and it was OK. The Quad absolutely destroys it though in all respects. I have a Boss GS-10 for practicing and recording, that thing is a wicked little unit.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You guys ever use any of the the DSP amps like Line 6, etc? I used to have a POD Pro and it was OK. The Quad absolutely destroys it though in all respects. I have a Boss GS-10 for practicing and recording, that thing is a wicked little unit.

I tried the Behringer clone. It was fun to play with, but at the end of the day I wouldn't buy one. Too digital sounding to me.

darkpoet3113

Awards
Yeah, I agree - especially live. Im not playing out right now, but when i get back to it Ill probably pick up a dual Recto. I used to cart around a big 8 space rack , 2 4x12's etc. **** THAT! All I need now is a head, a decent cab and a delay pedal.:)

i have tried them, (dsp amps that is) but i don't like them that much, i like having total control over my effect, dsp you can't do that, or if you can it's limited, i like my pedalboard, with single effect pedal better that way i can tweak things... did you ever notice that some of the delay effects on dsp are so limited compare to single pedals...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
i have tried them, (dsp amps that is) but i don't like them that much, i like having total control over my effect, dsp you can't do that, or if you can it's limited, i like my pedalboard, with single effect pedal better that way i can tweak things... did you ever notice that some of the delay effects on dsp are so limited compare to single pedals...

Yeah definitely. My GS-10 does a real good job at modelling most BOSS effects, but the COSM modellers dont even come close to real tube equipment. Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 2 is pretty darn good, especially for software.

BV

darkpoet3113

Awards
Yeah definitely. My GS-10 does a real good job at modelling most BOSS effects, but the COSM modellers dont even come close to real tube equipment. Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 2 is pretty darn good, especially for software.

BV
guitar rig 2 is awesome for software, i agree with you on, that.. i like it alot... i like solid state amps... tube sound great... but there so much maintains and worrie with them... you have to treat them like there gold... right now, i use a 350 watt solid state... ficking awesome... and surprising sound really good clean.. the only thing i did invest it too makeit sound better, i was a tube distotion pedal. it give my dirty channel a freq boost big time... lol .... window break now... compare to just rattling. :bow28: buck dich!!!!....
mein whores...
cheers,
darkpoet3113

darkpoet3113

Awards
vrunga, whats you current setup.... at home...
cheers,
darkpoet3113

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
For guitar:

Ibanez RG1077XL (main axe)
Ibanez RG7620 w/EMG707's
Dean EVO Special 7
Washburn WG587 (the beater:))

Guitar goes into Maxon808 overdrive then into the MesaQuad. Quads direct outs go directly into the PC through an Echo Layla 24 24bit/96Khz interface.

I run the input channel from the Layla into an audio track in Sonar, and use NI Guitar Rig 2 to model the power amp, mic, and cab. I use the Recto head model on a clean setting. Ive been getting some pretty decent results - way better than just GuitarRig by itself:

http://www.awakeaudio.com/Electronic/RockTest.mp3

Next best thing to mic'ing a real head and cabinet! (which I cant do because I live in an apartment at the moment)

I also have a BOSS GS-10 that I like a lot, although I havent recorded anything with it yet.

For synths:

Kawai K5000S
Roland JD-800
Akai AX-80
Korg DW-8000
Korg Z1

These are all arouted to a MOTU MIDI Express 8x8 and all run into a M-Audio Octane that's linked to the Layla via ADAT, yielding 16 channels of digital I/O and decent conversion quality.

I dont have a live rig at the moment, as Ive sold off most of it. When I get to playing out again, Ill probably go with Peavey like Brent's XXX, or a solid state Randall head. Can't argue with those:)

Howabout yourself darkpoet? What's your current gear list? Playing in any bands at the moment?

BV

darkpoet3113

Awards
epiphone SG,
schecter vampira guitar limited edtion.
ESP ax-250.

my current amp:
crate 3500H
B52 v412
my effects:
Rocktron: tri wah
Rocktron: Zombie distortion
Digitech: digidelay
Rocktron: hyperphase.
Rocktron HUSH
Boss: tunerpedal

computer set up:
toneport ux interface
guitar pro 3.0

and one ****ty casio keyboard.

looking for a band right now, not alot of people in my area interested in my taste of music... if they are just the mainstream ****... i'm mostly a sound engineer and composer... but going solo sux sometime...
cheers,
darkpoet3113

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
i'm mostly a sound engineer and composer...
Same here...getting in a band is just so much work, Id rather work on my own material on my own time.

Nice gear list, btw. Have you made any recordings?

BV

darkpoet3113

Awards
yes, of course, you mean with bands... or solo. i don't have any solo **** ready for mp3 yet. perfectionist problem... always tweaking things... adding tracks deleting track.. so what you are you using for drum tracks... drum on demand, has an awesome metal package full of wav. awesome ****... not crap...
cheers,
darkpoet3113

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Drum Kit From Hell Superior - its awesome! Im using it on the demo track above but I really wasnt taking my time to program it well.

Id like to get a Korg PadKontrol, or similar, so I could play the hits in live.

darkpoet3113

Awards
i never tried it have too try it out. sound good.
cheers,
darkpoet3113

darkpoet3113

Awards
vrunga just hear your MP3, it's the **** really good, for a home recording, the riffs are really good... good job mate.
cheers,
darkpoet3113

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks darkpoet!! That was done about a year ago, I need to get crackin' on some metal Ive been busy playing with my synthesizers as of late:)

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys

I need a cheap recording setup that sounds good....haha

USB recording thingy?( or firewire)
Microphone (sm57 the best?)

Give me your opinions on what I am looking for, please.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Brent -

What are you trying to record? Vocals? Guitar Amps? both?

M-Audio,Presonus,and echo make some really nice, budget priced interfaces. Check it out:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

http://www.presonus.com/

http://www.echoaudio.com/

On Ebay you can find used Echo Layla 24's for ~$200, thats the interface I use and it sounds great.

Mark of the Unicorn also makes great interfaces, here's an affordable one that gets good reviews:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite/

For mic's, the SM57 is the faithful standbuy but Ive found the dynamics from Electovoice to sound much better. For vocals, MXL makes the budget v69 which sounds pretty good. Studio Projects,Rode, and CAD are also mic manufacturers that make great, inexpensive microphones. I have a Rode NT1-A, its got a nice crisp sound.

Keep in mind that, if you're using a mic you'll need an interface with mic preamps, and not all of the offerings from the companies listed come with them.

BV

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a shure PG58 that I could use for vocals.

For an interface without a mic preamp, would it be best to get a mixer with a mic preamp in it?

I am trying to record my amp. (sm75) and vocals. (PG58)

Would an sm57 or something similiar allow me to crank my amp and record? I am pretty sure the pg58 doesnt allow me to do that. (granted it isnt a great mic to start with and it is for vocals.)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Would an sm57 or something similiar allow me to crank my amp and record? I am pretty sure the pg58 doesnt allow me to do that. (granted it isnt a great mic to start with and it is for vocals.)
Yeah, the 57 is kind of the 'defacto standard' for mic'ing guitar amps at high volumes. A Sennheisner MD421 sounds WAY better for hi gain metal tones, but its also $200+ mic. Your mic pres make a big difference in your sound going to the recorder too. Any of the units I listed will have decent pres, and yeah a mixer with pres will be fine, but its good for each pre-amp channel to have an insert i/o so you can go direct from the pre to the recording interface. A cheap pre can make a good mic sound like ass, so be aware of that...there's a lot of decent one and two channel pres out there that are affordable. M-Audio DMP3 is a good one.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
It will sound like crap, unless you go through a speaker emulator (or if it has one built it). It wont sound like a mic'd cab though.

darkpoet3113

Awards
It will sound like crap, unless you go through a speaker emulator (or if it has one built it). It wont sound like a mic'd cab though.
ya i would have to agreed here... personally i like line 6's toneport ux,,, b/c gives you phantom power for your mic's...
plus i'ts good for beginners or experiences home recording.
cheers,
darkpoet3113

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
ya i would have to agreed here... personally i like line 6's toneport ux,,, b/c gives you phantom power for your mic's...
plus i'ts good for beginners or experiences home recording.
cheers,
darkpoet3113
Yeah, the toneport is pretty cool from what I hear. They're pretty inexpensive too, so you wont be out much if you want to try it out.

darkpoet3113

Awards
ya i recommend it brent... you get everything you need is record... no problems.... easy as a pie and cheap too...
one of my greatest investment.... especially if you don't know how to play engineer... like some of us..
cheers,
darkpoet3113

darkpoet3113

Awards
hey BV, whats up!!!... got some MP3's coming your way! or check in soon...
cheers,
darkpoet3113

darkpoet3113

Awards
hey BV, how the keyboard thing going for you, i went though a period, where all i did was write, keyboard stuff, industrial,darkwave and goth ****e.... crazy phase. but now i'm back on my guitar... still use the keyboard though..
cheers,
darkpoet3113