Give advice or just silently mock?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking over a couple threads like the one about "that guy" i started wondering... You see some people in the gym who are obviously making a mess out of whatever exercise they are doing.

Do you:

1. Walk over and throw in some pointers and try to keep them from needing some kind of joint surgery in the near future.

2. Just stare in disbelief and continue on and afterwards come here and make a post about how they were idiots?

3. Depends: If they are smaller than me in that body part i'll offer help.

The other day there were a couple new kids that I hadn't seen before and they were both walking around a preacher curl bench and looked confused and after a couple of sets that made me cringe I started some conversation and offered some advice and pointed them to this site for more information. Then I hit the forums and realized...I'M THAT GUY!! I felt so dirty.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Bro, I just ignore everyone in the gym.

When I had my nutrition stores, I would work 10-7:30 daily. Walk over to the gym and as soon as I get there people start bobarding me with training/diet/supp questions.

I was in that building overthere ALL DAY!!

So, there is NO way I am going to bring up conversation with someone.

I have also learned most people will ignore your advice anyhow.

Maybe I am just a ****...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nah. personal experience definately plays a role in how you respond. I'm sure if I was always asked like that I would be in my corner and ignore everyone too.

My workout is my social life. Sad but true. It's one of the few times I actually get to interact with people where i'm not having to write tickets or arrest :) So I don't mind at all.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't tell them ****..Like RD said, they will sit there and listen to you correct them after they have made a complete mockery of the exercise, and then you turn your head and they are destroying it again..Most people are far too proud to admit to themselves they are doing something wrong, let alone let you know you helped them...

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
if you don't give advice every once in a while, how will the next generation learn anything!?!?

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I give advice if asked. I never offer it up.

Thats how. I asked a big guy once when I was a skinny kid what I should do, he took 10 minutes with me, and I did EVERYTHING he said.

I still see him from time to time and he bacame a customer of mine.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm with Refried on this one....Don't talk to me, Don't look at me, Just pretend I'm not there and we'll get along just fine....

Of course I'm polite when asked for assistance as long as you don't ask me in the middle of a set (grrrr, can't you see I'm fvcking busy!!??)

Bottom line is, I have a schedule to keep and I can't keep it if I'm Yapping my way through the place.....

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't pay attention to others in the gym. Although I am usually staring at a wall or something. haha.

I was once asked how to get big calves. My response "Be fat for 14 years of your life." The guy was pretty confused.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
I rarely talk to anyone in my gym other than to greet when coming or going...never in the middle of a workout! I am asked or ask someone for a spot occasionally.

At the high school where I teach tho I use our weightroom alot and help the kids in there. They appreciate someone showing them how to correctly use the equipment. I figure how else are they going to learn if not shown the correct way.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I rarely talk to anyone in my gym other than to greet when coming or going...never in the middle of a workout! I am asked or ask someone for a spot occasionally.

At the high school where I teach tho I use our weightroom alot and help the kids in there. They appreciate someone showing them how to correctly use the equipment. I figure how else are they going to learn if not shown the correct way.

I think the age has a lot to do with it as well. Those that around 20+ are less likely to listen than the teenagers. Most at that point don't have very much experience and wish they had a "big" friend to train with and show the way. Most think if you are big you must know what you are doing,.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually do like you all do but on occassion you see some folk who look like they want to ask but not sure of the ediquette (sp) in the gym. Some people who look like they could give a rats ass, I don't bother with but I never mind giving up information if I have it.

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
the other day i saw some skinny kid wit a beater on. doin shrugs with waaay to much weight then he should be. bending his elbows like he was trying to work out traps and bis in one shot..... i went over to him said good job and walked away.... does that make me an ass. i would have actually tried to help him but the fact that he had a beater on n looked like that made me think he deserved it... when i used to be that skinny i would have never even thought of wearing that to the gym.. i still dont.. baggy shirts for me. if u got it people can still tell. dont have to weare that ****.. ahhhh ranting. sorry

theragingbull

Awards
I talk too no-one If they don't know f**kum is my motto

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Always ready to give an elocute erudition when asked, especially by the ladies. :D

Typically advise is more about nutrition. People seem to be more willing to admit their diet sucks vs their training.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I would only help if they ask for help otherwise it's their responsability to learn the game.

akp2004

Awards
I learned from others, and I'm sure I was thick headed at times. I feel like as much as it's a hassle at times, I have a social responsibility to share knowledge. especially since it generally comes down to, you're doing too many sets, have an imbalanced workout, and you're not eating right.

In order of attention:
(1) I help the ladies - and style is critical, they are self-conscious
(2) teenagers - ego is huge, but also very self-conscious
(3) people my age (30's) - if you're in shape, they'll listen

RARELY will I ever give advice to more than 1 person - ie, it's a waste of time to talk to three 18 year olds.

Also, I typically would address it with two motives. get their attention with something that matters to them, and then, try to teach the boring but important stuff, like training in good form.

Ie, if you're talking to a teenager, you have to first connect whatever you say to either getting ripped or hyooge, and then only then, can you connect training with good form to it.

This works:
Hey dude, if you want those arms to grow massive, you're doing that exercise wrong. Do you want to get bigger arms? (if nods in agreement, then proceed, if shrugs and not interested, then tell him, go online and read everything at "t-nation.com")

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I sometimes give advice. I guess it depends on whether or not the person looks like they'll take it, or if they'll just detest everything I just told them. Sometimes I pick the wrong person to give advice to, and it gets interesting.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
i am with refried on this one...i have my MP3 player on for a reason, dont talk to me, but on the same note, if someone needs help..ie spot and yes I do spot for guys than by all means.....

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
the other day i saw some skinny kid wit a beater on. doin shrugs with waaay to much weight then he should be. bending his elbows like he was trying to work out traps and bis in one shot..... i went over to him said good job and walked away.... does that make me an ass. i would have actually tried to help him but the fact that he had a beater on n looked like that made me think he deserved it... when i used to be that skinny i would have never even thought of wearing that to the gym.. i still dont.. baggy shirts for me. if u got it people can still tell. dont have to weare that ****.. ahhhh ranting. sorry
:icon_lol:

okboy63

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I told someone to quit clicking the weights at the top on dumbell flyes(actually he was banging them and I was wearing a walkman)
He doesn't talk to me anymore. I'm deeply hurt

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
In case you guys can't tell - I love giving advice and helping folks out.
I've found that in the gym most people have not even been remotely interested when I've approached them.
I talk fast and go off on tangents.
I've found I come across as arrogant.

So, I don't ever talk to anyone about their training anymore. Found too many guys got pissed or whatever. I've got no problem taking questions. Had a dude 2 weeks ago ask why I was doing hammer curls instead of concentration.

But, on the supps. front - I do make it a point to help folks out. The workers at the GNC that I frequent know that I know about this stuff. So, if I'm in, they'll come ask me whatever question the customer just asked.
Sometimes I'll wait until the associate walks away after recommending some retardedly expensive supp (like any of that Fizogen sh*t) and tell them to go buy whatever at Nutraplanet.
I've cost GNC quite a bit of sales. But, that's what they get for ripping me off so many times when I was in high school/early in college.

Guys at the gym know that I keep up with the new supps - esp. pro-hormones. I can't tell you how many questions I've got on H-50 after I recommended it to 2 buddies that are doing a show in mid-June.
I also can't tell you how many guys I've sold on Powerfull. :thumbsup:
I wait for questions about supps in the gym - don't actively seek out.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I very rarely give advice to anyone without being asked. Recently, there were a couple kids that we trying to use the standing calf press machine by throwing mad stacks of weight up with their knees. I just went over and show them how to do it right, and they seemed to really appreciate it.

Ill never pick on someone or act condescending though, I still remember a big dude talking down to me when I wasnt doing squats right when I first started lifting.

BV

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you BV.
I'm forever indebited to this HUGE trainer at the gym I lifted at in high school.
He showed me how to properly dead lift.

I'm pretty sure had he not instructed me I'd have back problems now with the awful form I had back then.