should Curling really be an olympic sport?

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established

curl·ing (kûr'lĭng)

n. A game originating in Scotland in which two four-person teams slide heavy oblate stones toward the center of a circle at either end of a length of ice.

when i think of the olympics....i think of ATHLETES.....you know, someone fast, strong, etc.....not an expert sweaper pusher......

does curling really deserve a place in the olympics?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
You telling me you don't think THIS should be an olympic event?

hahaa...k, you may have a point there gimpy! :lol:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I heard of this sport I was thinking it was the weight lifting version. Guess I was wrong. Someone get a damn calendar and mark this day!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
You guys are just haters. You are jealous because you don't have the athletic superiority to compete in curling HA :)

BTW I actually did that one time. I went to a place and I got to slide the stone a few times. They did all the sweeping. I got it in the spot they told me to almost everytime and were so impressed.

The vets kept saying WOW you never played before. I thought WOW this is too easy and not really a challenge. Years later when I looked past my ego I realized they were probably just puffing me up trying to get my membership money lol

CROWLER

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
You guys are just haters. You are jealous because you don't have the athletic superiority to compete in curling HA :)

BTW I actually did that one time. I went to a place and I got to slide the stone a few times. They did all the sweeping. I got it in the spot they told me to almost everytime and were so impressed.

The vets kept saying WOW you never played before. I thought WOW this is too easy and not really a challenge. Years later when I looked past my ego I realized they were probably just puffing me up trying to get my membership money lol

CROWLER
I would say from this answer its safe to say, it should NOT be an event :icon_lol:

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes, it should. Otherwise the would be that much less jokes in the world.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If ICE DANCING is an olympic sport, then curling should be as well. JMO

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
If ICE DANCING is an olympic sport, then curling should be as well. JMO
i think ice dancing at least requires some talent... olympic sport....maybe not, but talent, you need some. curling....lol well, as crowler mentioned.....not that hes not talented or anything :)

Rkstr

Awards
I always thought that olympic sports were supposed to be competition between atheletes of mythic proportions. Not some cats that are sliding something on ice that is too heavy for them to pick up and throw.

foo.c

Board Supporter
Awards
Here's my general formula for determining if something is an Olympic Winter Sport.

A sport is an Olympic Winter Sport if and only if it involves sliding on frozen water.

Dancing around like a fairy, not a sport. Sliding around on ice like a fairy, sport. (Ice Dancing/Figure Skating)

Throwing rocks onto a circle of ice, not a sport. Sliding rocks onto a circle ice, sport. (Curling)

Walking over snow out into the woods and shooting stuff, not a sport. Sliding on skis over snow out into the woods and shooting stuff, sport. (Biathlon)

You get the idea.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
If the curling stone weighed 500lbs and they had to sweep it across sandpaper, then yes, I say lets keep it:D

BV

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
You're so right Miss Gimpy. It shouldn't be.

I never knew I'd agree with Bryant Gumble.

Did Kwycke show you the PM?!?

He'd better have!!!

:woohoo:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
For some reason every time I see it on, I can't turn it off. It's like it's so stupid it's...brilliant.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
For some reason every time I see it on, I can't turn it off. It's like it's so stupid it's...brilliant.
HILARIOUS! It is like a train wreck. It is only one step up from shuffle board. The only reason it is a younger person's sport and old people don't play it instead of shuffleboard is 90% of em would step on the ice and 2 seconds later slip on the ice and break a hip.

CROWLER

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
HILARIOUS! It is like a train wreck. It is only one step up from shuffle board. The only reason it is a younger person's sport and old people don't play it instead of shuffleboard is 90% of em would step on the ice and 2 seconds later slip on the ice and break a hip.

CROWLER
Lol. Yeah shuffle board is like curling's minor league. Someday they all hope to make it to the big show.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
me too! sadly its one of the many events i look forward to watching....lol

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Ok watching it because it comes on when you are watching the Olympics is fine but looking forward to it is just plain wrong :)

CROWLER

Doomsday

Awards
The funny thing is, somebody somewhere actually came up with the idea that it should be an Olympic sport... and THEN the international Olympic committee actually approved it. How they didn't fall over laughing at the idea is beyond me...:toofunny:

Rkstr

Awards
Next time that you are watching check out the look of deep concentration.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
With all the time I spend shaving my back and looking for pics of Nate and Drew online, it's amazing I don't have time for curling!

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
With all the time I spend shaving my back and looking for pics of Nate and Drew online, it's amazing I don't have time for curling!
Hey, it's still like spending time with them. Somewhere, in dimly lit garage, they are together,...nude..., curling on a homemade rink.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I actually enjoy watching it more than most so-called athletic events. There is strategy involved and best of all it is just me watching the event on my TV. All the other events are on prime-time with melodramatic intermediaries constantly running their mouths. Do I give a damn about Bodie Miller's theatrical life? Nope...I just want to watch him fly down the slope...but NBC does not let me take in the event the way I want.

Curling on the other hand is relegated to a non-prime time cable channel and thankfully the announcers pretty much just shut-up.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i think ice dancing at least requires some talent... olympic sport....maybe not, but talent, you need some. curling....lol well, as crowler mentioned.....not that hes not talented or anything :)
Let's see you Curl.

Willing to bet you fall flat on your ass first time down the ice.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The funny thing is, somebody somewhere actually came up with the idea that it should be an Olympic sport... and THEN the international Olympic committee actually approved it. How they didn't fall over laughing at the idea is beyond me...:toofunny:
Like baseball requires anymore talent... ;)

aspire210

aspire210

Awards
  • Established
As lewis black once said - "Is oral sex adultery? Yes! There is no discussion! If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultry. And oral sex should be an olympic sport because it's more difficult than curling and if you're any good at it, you deserve a medal!"

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Let's see you Curl.

Willing to bet you fall flat on your ass first time down the ice.
Looks like we've found our first angry failed curler.

Houseman...sorry man...curling just isnt' the sport for you. Let it go...you can always take up pie eating--hell, it'll probably be in the olympics next time. Afterall, we can't 'discriminate' against our unathletic athletes now can we? That wouldn't be very civilized.

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
All I can say is.......Hurrrrrrrrry Hurrrrrry Harrrrrrrd Hurrrrrrry Harrrrrrrd!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe this is an actual sport, why the hell isn't football in the Olympics ? If this crap is considered a sport then I'm sure football would more then qualify as an Olympic sport !

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
btw- I think curling would be a good "sport" to experiment with eliminating the traditional gender divisions. Men and women can play at an equal playing field since it is mostly strategy.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Looks like we've found our first angry failed curler.

Houseman...sorry man...curling just isnt' the sport for you. Let it go...you can always take up pie eating--hell, it'll probably be in the olympics next time. Afterall, we can't 'discriminate' against our unathletic athletes now can we? That wouldn't be very civilized.
LOL

Angry? What do I care? I don't curl. Well I have once or twice and it sure as **** ain't an easy game to play.

What I find annoying, though, is the dumb-asses who make judgement on something without (what seems like) any practical reasoning to justify their statement.

And, curling might not be the most athletically inclined sport going, neither is baseball and IT is in the Olympics.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
your just jealous of me thats all, i understand:lol:
Why would I be jealous of you?

You made a dumb comment about a sport or activity you know NOTHING about.

And, I didn't say it in a negative tone. I simply said you'd probably fall flat on your ass. I sure know I did the first time I tried curling.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can't believe this is an actual sport, why the hell isn't football in the Olympics ? If this crap is considered a sport then I'm sure football would more then qualify as an Olympic sport !
If Baseball is there then so can Curling be.

Very judgemental people about what is or isn't an athletically inclined or difficult sport.

I'd like to say those with Liberal Arts degrees aren't very smart or academically inclined but they'd be wrong.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Well, I actually used to be a competitive curler, so my view may be biased. :hammer:

My views of what is a sport and what isn't is pretty narrow though. Nascar, horse racing, dancing, hunting, etc are not sports to me. :nutkick:

I think of curling as more of a game as opposed to a sport per se. (But I did get an athletic scholarship based me curling...) But also in that regards, I'm hesitant to call baseball and football a sport too to be honest - they're games.

But...when compared to what is considered Olympic events, curling does deserve to be in there. The least important thing in curling is the sweeping. It's all in the strategy and delivery of the rock. It's quite very challenging. (The average person would have much more difficulty in accurately throwing a rock than they would a football).

But I shall list a few other Olympic events that would have to be removed if curling was:

1. Equestrian - c'mon, the horse does all the work
2. Shooting range stuff - are you serious?
3. Archery stuff
4. Events that a score can not be qualified with accuracy (such as dancing, diving, synchro swimming, etc)
5. Bobsled and luge. You push then hold on???
6. Baseball
etc...
On the note of football, although I'm not a fan of it, I would initially think it should be considered to be in the Olympics too (baseball and hockey are). BUT - what you're talking about is "American football". Do other countries even play this sport? Canada plays a very similar game, with some "minor" rule changes. But I don't imagine there would be enough countries that would have a team to represent - I think rugby is much more popular worldwide.

I'm sure the 2 main factors in choosing events are:
1. Enough worldwide acceptance and competitors
2. Can we generate money from this?

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Why would I be jealous of you?

You made a dumb comment about a sport or activity you know NOTHING about.
:toofunny: the angry man strikes back!

Sunder- about your curling experience....sounds interesting, its just hard for me to find an appreciation for the stone throwing/ sweeping techniques... if i try the "sport" one day, i'll let you know how i did.....lol

EDIT:
housemans negative rep comment:

Your usual immature and ignorant self strikes again. Damn, you truly are one dumb cunt.

if i am a dumb cunt (thanks for degrading women) than you are a class act :) i dont want to see how you treat people in real life .....

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
LOL

Angry? What do I care? I don't curl.
Well, maybe I 'interpreted' your post wrong. But, its hard not to interpret it that way when almost all of your posts are a little bit on the mean/pissed off side. Read 'em yourself. You don't come off as the happiest camper around.

In fact, you always sound so pissed off, IMO it sound like the world sharted on your face and you almost drowned in it. I don't know what it is in your life that makes you so unhappy, but I hope you can get past it one day. Best wishes.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Sunder- about your curling experience....sounds interesting, its just hard for me to find an appreciation for the stone throwing/ sweeping techniques... if i try the "sport" one day, i'll let you know how i did.....lol
Curling is not for everyone. Up in Canada, it is quite the "social" sport. Our winter's are much longer than down south, so we have to find something to do. Plus it's not as hard on the body as other sports when you get older, teams can be of mixed sexes, and it usually involves lots of drinking (before, during and after the games.) Kinda like slo-pitch.

I think people just have an affinity for the sports that are around them growing up.

If you ever do try it, make sure you stretch your legs well beforehand. And I don't think anyone likes sweeping - that's why I played Skip. (The head guy that yells at everyone else to sweep.

While I like watching the occasional amazing shot on tv, I still prefer watching female volleyball. :) (Not just because of their bouncing and uniforms - although that helps, but I do find the female game to be more entertaining to watch than the mens due to their constant power spiking - female tennis too - there's more ebb and flow to their games).

Speedskating is what I have watched the most of this Olympics. Probably has something to do with those skin-tight uniforms and powerful legs/butt...

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, maybe I 'interpreted' your post wrong. But, its hard not to interpret it that way when almost all of your posts are a little bit on the mean/pissed off side. Read 'em yourself. You don't come off as the happiest camper around.

In fact, you always sound so pissed off, IMO it sound like the world sharted on your face and you almost drowned in it. I don't know what it is in your life that makes you so unhappy, but I hope you can get past it one day. Best wishes.
LOL

Thanks for the phsycho analysis :)

I'm quite happy as a matter of fact. I simply have a love-hate relationship with stupid/ignorant people.

I even have the T-shirt.

Thanks for your concern though, sir. It is appreciated :)

It should be noted: it was not I who started in with negative comments about Curling as a sport or an olympic event. Nor was my initial post on the topic negative. Instead I simply said before someone can diss something as to whether or not it is athletic... they migth want to try it first.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Instead I simply said before someone can diss something as to whether or not it is athletic... they migth want to try it first.
Thats not what you said, that's what Sunder said. Sunder was quite decent in his approach...but that would be too much to expect from you, now wouldn't it?

If we ever go out, you'll have to let me borrow your shirt ;)

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
This just in- US men's curling team takes the bronze!:woohoo:
In related news, it's cold in Ohio.

Seriously though I have to admit, once again i spent a significant amount of time watching it yesterday. I think it might be kinda fun to do/play while having a few beers.