resume help

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
i need to create a resume for a clerical position at a law firm. we have a career services office on campus, but their times conflict w/ my schedule. anyone have a template or can give me some tips on creating one?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I believe if you have microsoft word for your computer it has a resume format you can choose.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I can send you my resume with all the personal info deleted if you want to get an idea.

ManBeast

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
if you are DESPARATE....then you can go to kinkos and pay 40 bucks and they will make one for you...

yeah but like jminis, the microsoft word one is extremely easy to use, id go with that over kinkos

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
i need to create a resume for a clerical position at a law firm. we have a career services office on campus, but their times conflict w/ my schedule. anyone have a template or can give me some tips on creating one?
I can honestly say that going the career center help me alot. They told me to remove a my waiting experiance form my resume. They told me that the companies I was looking to work for would not see this favorably.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
At UIUC one of our required courses had a segment in resume building. Too bad I won't use it.

GRosk1234

Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
Awards
A good career center takes advantage of technology. They should have an online resume resource bank for one. Send them the job description along with a rough draft of your resume. They should be able to give you some tips on how to develop your final work. Use the job ad to build your resume. Remember to use accomplishment statements to demonstrate how you meet each of the desired qualities and quantify whenever possible. If you developed or managed (developed and managed are action words) a budget, how much was in that budget for example. Be clear and concise, you only get a few seconds look from most employers.

I did my practicum in the career center last year for my masters degree. These people should work with you based on your schedule. Look for programs they offer as well. Most universities have open resume workshops, etiquette dinners, and will do a mock interview with taping.

Good luck and if they don't help you out, send me a PM, I'm still in touch with my people, they may be able to take a quick look.

Atlas

Awards
Hey I had a thread about a resume and to be honest I used Microsoft Word and sent it to my buddies online to look over and tweak! If you do a good search there are examples of what a resume should look like, but like I said, it doesn't get easier than MS Word!

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
appreciate all the feedback. manbeast sent me a template and i found some time to hit up the career services center yest. not many people chillin there on vday i guess. hope i get the job!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I was never happy with MS word as a resume tool, every time I tried to modify my resume the formatting went FUBAR.

I looked around for dedicated resume software and found Web Resume Writer at http://www.web-resume.org/ they have a 14 day trial version there.

It has a very easy systematic data entry method with a wide range of formatting templates, thumbs up from me.