Redemption - Mass_69's Retransformation Journal

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I have been planning this retransformation for some time, and actually started on Jan. 2nd. I recently got engaged (last Oct.), and being in top shape is definitely a goal for my wedding day (next Oct.). Since then, I haven’t really done much to help the situation, and pigged like most during the Holidays (+9 lbs. from the end of Oct. thru the New Year).

The week before my “planned start date,” it really started to hit me that this isn’t just about aesthetics, but it’s about my long-term health – a change in Life-Style. I had fallen deeper and deeper into the pit of fried-foods, sugar, whatever was available to eat when I felt hungry. I was water-bloated, blood pressure was high (up to 147/83 if I had been walking around), my pants/waistline hurt, and I felt like sh*t. Some minor tweaks in diet, a little pamabrom (diuretic), and I went from 230.5 lbs. to 223 lbs. (I’m 6’ tall) in one week (without exercise).

A Little About My Exercise Past

I feel this is important for me to detail, but it may be long and boring. If you just want to keep up on the stats, then skip ahead to the next post.

1993-1994: First time I started to exercise with the steel. I was in puberty, so a little lifting went a long way. I was playing football, and weightlifting was a part of practice.

1994-1996: Lost interest in playing football, and devoted athletics to baseball. There was very limited weightlifting in baseball.

1997-1998: No sports, no exercise, but I still ate like I was exercising. Ballooned up over 200 lbs., probably at about 20-25% BF.

1998-1999: Became single, was working in a job in which there was some “manual labor" involved, so that helped me get back into shape. Got back into the gym consistently, incorporated a diet & exercise regimen (ABCDE) to fit my small budget, found a new friend named ephedra, dabbled with prohormones, and went from 200+ lbs. at 20+% BF, to a best of 179 lbs. at 8.5% BF in about 1 ½ years (See first 2 posted pics). I was lean, but still kinda small.

2000: Once I had dipped below 180 lbs. in 1999, I felt I was actually starting to work toward catabolism. I took a few months off, left my home-state of Texas and moved to Connecticut because of some opportunities I had at the time. Got back in the gym, put on a little size, and probably peaked at about 192 lbs. at ~10% BF (See last 3 posted pics). Then in Oct., I had a bad car accident which included a contusion of the chest & concussion. When that happened, I totaled my car (liability insurance only, so no insurance $$$), lost my consultant job, was layed up in bed and couldn’t do a whole lot of anything. These things, coupled with bills and a lot of so-called friends suddenly disappearing caused me to go into a temporary bit of withdrawal, and a little depression.

This was indeed a very large turning point in my life, for the good and the bad. In late November, I started a new job (where I still work), in which I started working with my current fiancé.

2001: In January, I started dating my fiancé. So you know that meant we went out eating & drinking a lot. During this time, I still hadn’t fought off all the depression and the booze didn’t help. Because of my chest injury, I wasn’t working out. I know I still could have done something, but it was probably a combo of refusing to do just cardio, and making excuses. I had gotten out of shape (don’t know stats), and started working out again in September. I was doing good, but results were still a bit slower. That lasted for about 3 months…

2002: I started to put the weight on, and was pretty sedentary. I was at about 208-210 lbs. consistently. Toward the end of the year, I decided to stop smoking, cold-turkey, for the good of my long-term health. At the same time, I got back in the gym, and had my first experience with 1-Test (Mag-10 liquid, 1-T & 4-AD). In a couple of weeks, I was up to about 223 lbs., and cracked the 16” mark on the guns. Some muscle, but also some fat. You see, when I quit smoking, my metabolism “died” and my hunger increased at the same time. BF% was up a little less than a percentage point (20.67-21.5%). Stuck with my workouts for a few months, got below 20% BF, then stopped again.

2003-2005: Probably worked out consistently for about 3 months during 2003, weight stayed somewhere in the 220s. Finally, in mid-December, after being disgusted with pictures of myself, I decided to take exercising seriously, again. I had switched jobs within the company, and was working for a better boss, so that helped keep me from being mentally exhausted. On Dec. 9th, I started at 230.5 lbs., waist just under 40”. By May 2004, I was down to 214 lbs., 15.6% BF, and waist was ~37”. By Oct. 2004, I was at 202 lbs., 12% BF, and waist was 35 1/2”, best stats since well before I stopped smoking. I slacked a bit in Dec. 2004, but I maintained a weight of ~209-215 lbs. until July 2005. I ended up aggravating an old injury in my wrist, and was unable to lift weights. Doc said it was tendonitis or tendonitis-like, or something of that effect. Well, I took a break from exercising, and the wrist wasn’t really getting better, quickly. I used this excuse, and continued my “break” from exercising. Yeah, even cardio. I was slowly gaining much of my weight back, and by the time the first of the Holidays hit (starting with Halloween), I was blowing up quick, and well, you already know the story from there.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Diet & Exercise:

I am basing my retransformation around an old diet & exercise program I used back in the late 90s. It’s called the ABCDE (Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet & Exercise). It basically consists of overeating (cleanly) for 2 weeks, and then dieting/cutting for 2 weeks. I plan on going ABCDE from Jan. to March, and then take it from there. My tweaked version goes as:

Bulking:

Diet
~ 4100 cals/day
300g protein/500g carbs/100g fat

Exercise
Weightlifting 4x/week
2-3 exercises per bodypart
3-5 sets per exercise
~ 6 reps/set (except abs, 12-20 depending on exercise)
Lots of Stretching Between Sets
No Cardio

Supps
Yohimbine HCl 2.5mg x3/day

Cutting:

Diet
~1800 cals/day
170g protein/170g carbs/40g fat

Exercise
Weightlifting 3x/week
2 exercises per bodypart
3 sets per exercise
12 reps/set
Cardio 20+ minutes 3x/week

Supps
Ephedrine HCl 25mg x2/day
7-OH 50mg x3/day
ZMA at night

During Both:

Supps
Myoplex 1-2x/day
Xtend 2x/day
ALCAR 1g x3/day
Thermogenic (Basic Cuts, Xenadrine-EFX, C2, something with caffeine) 2x/day
Ester-C 1g 2-3x/day
Grape Seed Extract 114mg (OPCs) 1-2x/day
Fish Oil 1-2g (Omega-3s) 3x/day
Multivitamin 1x/day

(Edited on 01/27 to make it easier to read)

Last edited:
Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Starting Stats:

Height: 6'
Weight: 223 lbs.
Chest: 46 6/8"
Waist: 38 4/8"
Right Arm: 16 1/8"
Left Arm: 15 6/8"
Right Thigh: 26"
Left Thigh: 26 2/8"
Bodyfat %: ? (Battery Dead on Digital Calipers, I would guess ~15-17%)

Haven't taken a pic, but need to before I make too much progress..

Last edited:
Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Updates

As you can see, I actually started on Jan. 2nd.

The Bulking period went great. I ate "cleanly," and practically had to stuff myself at times. Workouts were great, strength still felt good. Started feeling less "soft." Weighed in at 223 lbs. (no change) by the end of week 2.

Checked blood pressure on the 17th, and readings were 120s/70s :D

First week of cutting has been OK. I think it's much easier to cut knowing it's only for 2 weeks, and I'll be eating again soon. Workouts were so-so, as I could feel a serious carb-depletion in the muscles. Right arm measured right at 16", down 1/8". Weighed in at 219.5 lbs. (-3.5 lbs. from start) after week 3.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i remember reading about that diet when it first came out, junior in high school for me then. hope it works for ya, i'd personally prefer something less drastic but good luck to ya :D

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Beelze. For me, desparate times call for desparate measures!

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Great log..... Subscribed!... Good luck, and for the name of science, keep us updated! Did I remember someone saying that?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Did I read it correctly that your taking thermos during the bulk portion? I can see taking one during the cut but during the bulk?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Hey Mass, Don't know if your using Whey but, I drink one in the morning and one after a workout or at night if I'm now working out.... I mix mine with milk during bulk and water during cut.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Did I read it correctly that your taking thermos during the bulk portion? I can see taking one during the cut but during the bulk?
Being an endo, I would think you would be on board with taking a thermo during bulk to prevent excess fat gain.

I normally take a 4-6 week break from caffeine/thermos, and then run them for about 12 weeks. They're not effective for me running them for a couple of weeks at a time.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Great log..... Subscribed!... Good luck, and for the name of science, keep us updated! Did I remember someone saying that?
If not, someone should have.

Thank you for subscribing.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Hey Mass, Don't know if your using Whey but, I drink one in the morning and one after a workout or at night if I'm now working out.... I mix mine with milk during bulk and water during cut.
Thank you for reminding me. I've been using Syntrax Nectar + fruit (something like a banana) post-workout. When I'm bulking, I'll usually add some solid food (oatmeal or something). Also when bulking, I'll usually mix one scoop upon awakening.

I ran out of Syntrax, so now I got some Primaforce Substance-WPI.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Here's a current pic (cold), now actually almost 4 weeks into my transformation.:eek:

Don't make fun of the boobies & love-handles, I know I'm out of shape. :nono: :mad:

Attachments

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Once you start cutting up you'll look great..... Your on your way!

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Being an endo, I would think you would be on board with taking a thermo during bulk to prevent excess fat gain.

I normally take a 4-6 week break from caffeine/thermos, and then run them for about 12 weeks. They're not effective for me running them for a couple of weeks at a time.
Ok well if it works for you awesome. I've just never thought using a thermo to burn extra cals would be productive during a bulk when you needs those cals for producing lbm. I would think you'd be spinning your wheels during the bulk potion anyway..

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The thinking behind the use of thermogenics during a bulk isn't to burn more calories, it's to more effectively partition the calories that you do injest.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
The thinking behind the use of thermogenics during a bulk isn't to burn more calories, it's to more effectively partition the calories that you do injest.
WOW, nice ass in your avatar!!:run:

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Err, nice, uh, picture in yours as well. :ntome:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
UPDATE: End of Week 4, First ABCDE Cycle

I measured this morning (Day 14 of Cutting) because I won't have time to do it before work tomorrow.

Well, it looks like good & bad news. Good news, after the cut, measurements went down. The bad, I had to of lost some LBM.:( During the cutting weeks, muscles got real flat, and workouts weren't great. I think I'll toss in some creatine for the next 2 "cycles". I intentionally did not take any during these first 4 weeks to get an accurate assessment of my body composition w/out any additional water weight.

First ABCDE Cycle (Jan. 2nd-29th):

Start: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/441935-post3.html

Current:
Weight: 213.6 lbs. :woohoo:
Chest: 45 6/8"
Waist: 37 5/8"
Right Arm: 15 7/8" :frustrate
Left Arm: 15 4/8"
Right Thigh: 25 4/8"
Left Thigh: 25 5/8"
Bodyfat %: 15.8% (Average of 3 Measures)

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
This is more of my logic. Being mostly Endo, I don't really "bulk" much in the traditional sense. I typically try to "lean bulk" if I intentionally raise calories.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Re: Updates

Another 2 week bulk has passed, but there's not much to say.

Did my workout on Monday, 01/30, and felt fine. Woke up Tuesday morning with a scratch in my throat - aw, crap. Caught some bug that was going around, and had about 1 workout between 01/31 and 02/07, and that one was because I thought I felt better. Got sick again the following day. I cut calories slighty during that time to offset not working out, so I was probably closer to ~3600 instead of 4100.

Last few workouts, now feeling better, were pretty good. Strength increases were up (more/easier reps).

Overall, weight back up to 216 lbs. :eek:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Starting 2 week cut, today. I'm adjusting my diet so that I have adequate carbs prior to workouts. Last cutting phase workouts were Blah...

Heading to the gym, soon.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Sucks about getting sick, but thanks for updating this thread, I was wondering about it, this very morning.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for following, Grunt.

I probably should have gone back and re-read the "I Dont Want to be Sick Stack" thread. :sick: :think:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Re: Small Update

Weighed in this morning for shts. 5th day of 2nd cutting cycle. Down to 211.6 lbs.:) Also measured waist, at ~37" now :). Right arm sitting on 16" (I think it was ~16 1/8" at end of bulk).

Was at 216 lbs. at end of last 2-week bulk.

Ended last cut at 213.6 lbs. :D

Some of the recent loss had to have been water, as I pissed like a camel Wednesday.

Overall, seeing progress, though. :woohoo:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Update

2nd Cutting period is over, meaning 2nd overall ABCDE cycle is complete.

Starting Measurements: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/441935-post3.html

End of 1st Cycle: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/444071-post19.html

Current Measurements:

Weight: 206.6 lbs. :woohoo:
Chest: 45 4/8"
Waist: 37 1/8"
Right Arm: 15 6/8" :frustrate
Left Arm: 15 2/8" :frustrate
Right Thigh: 25 2/8"
Left Thigh: 25 2/8"
Bodyfat %: 13.2% (Average of 3 Measures) :woohoo:

Well, if the BF% measurements are acurrate at all, there was only a negligible change in Lean Body Mass, meaning that almost all of the weight dropped overall this last cycle was bodyfat.

It wasn't until the 2nd week of this last cut that I started to notice a visible change in composition. Not much, but a difference. I would venture to think that most of the fat I have lost up to this point has been VAT. The waist size was decreasing, but didn't look much different, and I could still pinch about the same amount. Also, I have been able to actually suck in my stomach. It wasn't until just last week I started to notice that I was pinching less around my waist. I would probably attribute the VAT loss to the Lean Xtreme, as this is the first time using it for me.

Either way, making progress. Bring on the food for ABCDE cycle #3!!! :food: :burger: :burger: :burger: :food:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I've decided to spruce up my program a bit (and this thread). I had ordered pGHt from UniversalKits to start using around April, but low and behold, that stuff shipped faster than I expected (Thanks Mr. Universe :thumbsup:). I received my pGHt yesterday (month supply), and fell into the temptation to use it. I had originally bought it to use for PCT in the future.

So, for my final ABCDE cycle, I'll be running pGHt throughout. I couldn't resist taking advantage of the fat-burning effects before I go away on vacation in April (Florida... beaches... :D)

I am also contemplating adding a little M-TRN/4AD during the final 2 weeks (cutting) of this program. The M-TRN is the original ALRI brand (bought right around the discontinuance), and I've been itching to try it out. I'm just not too sure how to eat with the M-TRN, especially since I will be only eating around 1800 cals/day while cutting... May have to adjust that.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
IMO when cutting with anabolics, you're just looking to stave off muscle loss. I see a lot of guys doing big-dose AAS cycles when cutting, but other than the recomposing effects of the hormones, which are real but shouldn't be the mainstay of the cut itself, I don't see the need for that. To me personally, juice on a cut is just to make sure you don't lose muscle. For gains, you'd have to eat much more than on a cut anyways. I'm writing this because IMO just the m-trn is enough although I know little about 4AD.

I'd say cut your cals a little deeper than normally and do a little bit more cardio, the hormones support that.

erik_stone

Awards
good job man! Keep up the good work and keep on posting your progress:head:

dreadrocksean

Awards
hey guys.
i tried this ABCDE thing in like '97. it worked like a BOMB.
i went from 180/15% fat to 185/6% to 190/10% in 2 cycles (2 mths).
ALL WHILE BEING A VEGETARIAN. to be fair, i do eat fish.
i started out with 4 weeks of cutting, then bulked out of 14 days. man on the 15th day EXACTLY, i started seeing the fat going on visibly. b4 that that it was just a smoothing over of the muslce definition. but the 15th day was a reality check. so i instantly dieted. i cheated the 1st 2 days. its real hard to do it especially after eating like 4000 calories a day. even though the 2nd week of overeating had me looking forward to dieting again. i got so sick of food. but i did it and i got even MORE cut by the end of the 2nd phase.
then i did it all over again and THAT was where the magic happened. my friends saw me on the beach and basically told me i was too big. one exclaimed "where the **** did u do THAT??". the other said, "dude, rock stars DONT look like that. no one would take u seriously".
i show my gf pics of me from 5 yrs ago and she can NOT believe it. i want it back. she's a fitness science major and is preaching to me that at my age my metabolic rate drop would not allow me to.
i know different and i need to prove her wrong.

anyway, i then left my country (trinidad) shortly after that and came to live in the great US.
the 1st 2 yrs i kept in check. never got back that kind of muscle at 190lbs, im 5'9" by the way, but kept a good body.
but over the course of the past 3 yrs ive steadily lost muscle (read discipline) and gained fat. last aug i was 180/18%. then i had an accident and ripped my left patella tendon in half. slipped and fell on a wet staircase with my gf in my arms.
u have no idea what 3 mths of immobility (no excercise) does to u!
i have never looked worse than i do now. in my life! i am ashamed of myself and everytime i try to start back this ABCDE thing, cause i know it to be the fastest way to get in shape, i fall off the ladder due to lack of discipline.
it sucks. BALLS. i look so bad, i dont even like my gf looking at me.
im a musician and i never thought id be THAT GUY on stage. man.

so ive decided to start again.
i am now 41 and need to get back on track. i want my body back by the end of april. im now 190lbs/21%.

hopefully this blog will keep me focused. i start NOW.

any and all comments are truly and desparately welcome. be as cruel as u want.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Sounds similar to my situation - tried it back in the 90's, got in the best shape of my life, had an injury, fell off the ladder and am now fed up with it. This is definitely what I needed to jump-start myself.

Good luck to you. :cheers:

dreadrocksean

Awards
sweet. good luck to u 2.
today was my 1st day. didnt do too well tonight. ate a little too much chinese. but i was good all day and did my HIIT sprints this morning b4 i ate.
ill be good tomorrow for sure. i dont want this lasting more than 4 weeks.
i have found that it takes 10 days of stiking to this b4 i even begin to see fat loss.
from that point, i look different every morning and every evening. i love that time. its so intoxicating.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Re: Redemption - Mass_69's Retransformation Journal-FINAL

OK guys, the end of phase 1 (12 weeks, 3 ABCDE cycle) is over. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I actually came on about 2 days ago to update this, had a good write-up, and my facking laptop froze. :frustrate

Well, the 3rd ABCDE cycle wasn't all that great. I wasn't well during the 1st 2 weeks/Bulking period, and missed some workouts.

During the cutting period, I did add M-TRN (4.5mg/day) & 4-AD (900mg/day). I did not restrict calories down to the 1800 I did the previous 2 cycles. Due to the "auxillaries," I kept calories slightly below maintenance. Noticed a small strength increase, no real noticable "cut," and probably some bloat from the 4-AD.

I ran P-GHt throughout the entire 3rd cycle. I noticed a little extra pump during the Bulking period/1st two weeks, but not much else. I think I looked a little younger in the mirror last week. :think:

Here are the results:

Start:
Weight: 223 lbs.
Chest: 46 6/8"
Waist: 38 4/8"
Right Arm: 16 1/8"
Left Arm: 15 6/8"
Right Thigh: 26"
Left Thigh: 26 2/8"
Bodyfat %: ? (Battery Dead on Digital Calipers, Guess was ~17%)

Finish:
Weight: 206 lbs.
Chest: 46"
Waist: 37"
Right Arm: 15 7/8"
Left Arm: 15 3/8"
Right Thigh: 25 2/8"
Left Thigh: 25 3/8"
Bodyfat %: 12.7% (Average of 3 Measures)

It's an improvement and close to where I wanted to be, but I wanted to be a tad bit leaner. Oh well, I have 2 more 12 week plans ahead (with a week off in between each) before the wedding in October. For my next 12 weeks, I probably won't post constant updates, as I am going to eat slightly below maintenance, unless certain "auxillaries" are added, and I will bump calories. I am thinking of throwing the ABCDE program back in for the final 12 weeks.

Before & After Pics: :cool:
01-2006_02.jpg - Before in January
03-2006_01.jpg - After, Taken this past weekend in the AM (cold)

Attachments