Car audio help

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys- I was wondering if I could get some help from some of you electronic geeks :box:

Long story short- I have 2 JL Audio 10 inch subs (W0) which I have had sitting here for about a year that my girlfriend has decided to help me install (Happy Birthday to me).

My main questions are:
1) What kind of amp do I need? Specs, brands, etc would really help.
2) How much should I expect to pay for an amp, box, wiring, and installation? I got a qoute of around $500 but thought that sounded a little high. I already have a solid Pioneer DEH-P660 stereo.

THANK YOU!!!!!
P.S. I only listen to heavy rock, hardcore, whateveryouwannacallitscreamingsingersloudguitarblahahah

Burner

Awards
Do you happen to know the impedance of your subs? You wanna try to get the most from what ever amp you buy...and need to be careful you dont put two 4ohm subs in parallel with an amp that isnt two ohm stable.

Buckeye(OH)

Awards
I've had good luck with 5 channel Alpine amps. I had the Alpine V12 in the car I had a couple of cars ago. It was a solid amp.

Honestly, Im not about the heavy ass boom boom though so in my opinion 2 10's is overkill.

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
it depends if you wanna amp just the subs, in which case personally i would just buy a mono amp (kicker or phoenix gold are my favs) for a quick fix.

If you have anybody that is skilled with wood, you can have a box custom made for cheap cheap, and all you would need to buy other than that is some sound deadening.

otherwise a decent box for 2 tens will probably run you about 100 bucks or so give or take, wiring and all that **** you can either buy from wal mart if you want a cheap fix or pay about 50-60 bucks for good stuff id say

All in all, 500 isnt a bad price, some searching will probably save you give or take 100 bucks

GRosk1234

Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
Awards
DT,

Could you list specifically (brands and model #s) what you would all get for the $500 estimate? I mean crappy wires, a panaskonic amp and an old box aren't worth crap. I have a buddy who works in an install shop and can bounce the info of him for ya.

I've always been a fan of alpine, rockford fosgate, and kicker amps. You can find them almost anywhere and won't kill you on cost.

No matter what you get, make sure you have the eq/crossovers set correctly for "rock" or you won't get the most from your subs, mids, and highs. I have the alpine which allows you to set unit specs online which is amazing and convenient.

Good luck!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't know if this will help you as much as a direct answer would, but I strongly suggest you read/search the electronics section of the Full Size Chevy Forum. Ther people there are really helpfull, and questions like yours have been answered with just about every possible nuance. There is also a Do It Yourself Mobile Audio Forum that is equally helpful. A Google search shoud yield both sites.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
enhanced General Chat 5
General Chat 2
IroNwIlL2006 General Chat 0
General Chat 0
ShakesAllDay General Chat 19