Twelve Miners found ALIVE

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
:jaw:

I can't believe it! I hate the news coverage this is getting; acting like its some huge tragedy; when in fact miners die all the time; avg lifespan is 60 years; thats 18 years less than the avg american. Seeing the fat woman on TV being a drama queen makes me change the channel.

I figured they were all dead though from the carbon monoxide poisoning. Its on breaking news right now on TV. Pretty incredible that they were able to live through all of it.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
misreported looks like only 1 was alive guys say a prayer for the families

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Any updates?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Only 1 survivor rescued from W. Va. coal mine
Man hospitalized in critical condition after word that 12 of 13 survived

Mark Wilson / Getty Images
Daniele Bennett cries after hearing early Wednesday that her father was one of the coal miners who died in the Sago Mine in Tallmansville, W. Va. NBC VIDEO

• Anger over disaster
Jan. 4: John Bennett, whose father died in the mine, and West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin speak on "Today" about the disaster and the miscommunication.
Today show

NBC VIDEO: MINE DISASTER

Today show
• Joy turns to anguish in West Va. mine
Jan. 4: Family members of the trapped West Virginia miners were exuberant overnight upon learning there were 12 survivors, but hours later their joy turned to heartbreak. NBC's Tom Costello reports.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Doctor talks about Sago mine survivor

• Victim's son, gov. discuss mine accident

• Mining hazards explained

• Animation of mine explosion

• Print this

Did you know?
• Today in history: Jan. 4
Celebrity birthdays, highlights in history, plus more facts about this day
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Take MSNBC.com's weekly news quiz

Related Stories | What's this?
• One miner found dead
• Families gather to pray, wait for trapped miners
• Family members report 12 trapped miners are alive
• One body found, but rescue mode continues for 12 missing workers
• Upshur County Mine Explosion
BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and news services
Updated: 8:09 a.m. ET Jan. 4, 2006
TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - In a stunning and heartbreaking reversal, mining officials told family members early Wednesday that 11 of the 12 trapped coal miners initially thought to have survived a mine explosion had died.

The devastating news came more than three hours after Gov. Joe Manchin announced he had been told 12 of the miners survived the disaster. Rescue crews found the first victim earlier Tuesday evening.

“About the confusion, I can’t tell you of anything more heart-wrenching than I’ve ever gone through in my life. Nothing,” Manchin said.

“I’m outraged,” he later told NBC’s “Today” show, adding that the state would investigate the cause of the explosion, the miscommunication and the mine’s numerous safety and health violations last year. “We’re going to look into this,” Manchin vowed.

John Bennett, whose father Jim Bennett was one of the victims and had been due to retire in April, complained that his father would “tell me how unsafe the mine is.”

Problems at the mine had been “going on for months ... and they still send men in,” Bennett told “Today,” adding that he felt that if the mine owner had allowed workers to unionize the violations wouldn’t have happened.

Survivor in critical condition
The sole survivor of the disaster, identified by mining officials as 26-year-old Randal McCloy, was hospitalized in critical condition early Wednesday, a doctor said. When he arrived, he was unconscious but moaning, the hospital said.

“It’s sorrow beyond belief,” Ben Hatfield, chief executive officer of mine operator International Coal Group, said during a news conference.

Slide show

• Agonizing wait
Relatives of the 13 trapped miners waited since Monday for news after the accident in Sago. Click "Launch" to view a slide show of images.

Thirteen miners had been trapped 260 feet below the surface of the Sago Mine since an explosion early Monday. The mine is located about 100 miles northeast of Charleston. As rescue workers tried to get to the men, families waited at the Sago Baptist Church during an emotional two-day vigil.

But late Tuesday night, families began streaming out of the church, yelling “They’re alive!” The church’s bells began ringing and families embraced, as politicians proclaimed word of the apparent rescue a miracle.

As an ambulance drove away from the mine carrying what families believed was the first survivor, they applauded, not yet knowing there were no others.

Though the governor announced that there were 12 survivors, he later indicated he was uncertain about the news. As word buzzed through the church of survivors, he tried to find out what was going on, he said.

“All of a sudden we heard the families in a euphoric state, and all the shouting and screaming and joyfulness, and I asked my detachments, I said, ‘Do you know what’s happening?’ Because we were wired in and we didn’t know,” Manchin said.

'Miscommunication'
Hatfield blamed the wrong information on a “miscommunication.” The news spread after people overheard cell phone calls, he said. In reality, rescuers had only confirmed finding 12 miners and were checking their vital signs.

But what leaked out to anxious family members was that 12 were found alive. At least two family members in the church said they received cell phone calls from a mine foreman.

“That information spread like wildfire, because it had come from the command center,” Hatfield said.

Three hours later, Hatfield told the families that “there had been a lack of communication, that what we were told was wrong and that only one survived,” said John Groves, whose brother Jerry Groves was one of the trapped miners.

“There was no apology. There was no nothing. It was immediately out the door,” said Nick Helms, son of miner Terry Helms.

CLICK FOR RELATED CONTENT
Fact file: Coal mining’s high stakes
Bush administration vows investigation
Profiles of the miners

Chaos broke out in the church and a fight started. About a dozen state troopers and a SWAT team were positioned along the road near the church because police were concerned about violence. A Red Cross volunteer, Tamila Swiger, told CNN people were breaking down and suffering panic attacks.

Company officials waited to correct the information until they knew more about the rescue, Hatfield said.

“Let’s put this in perspective. Who do I tell not to celebrate? I didn’t know if there were 12 or 1 (who were alive),” Hatfield said.

Anne Meredith, whose father died in the incident, said: “I feel that we were lied to all along,” adding that she planned to sue ICG.

Virginia Dean, whose uncle was another victim, reacted by saying, “Only one lived. They lied.”

CONTINUED: Earlier mine disasters

Talk about making you loose your appetite. Condolences to those families and friends.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
That's crazy. The coal biz is a dangerous one. My great uncle died because of it.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
My prayers are with these families during this tragic time. :sad:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
When I think back on my life and all the shi%^y dangeropus jobs I've held, I'm grateful everyday that I'm not a coal miner. Anywhere in the world, coal mining is one of the most dangerous jobs out there....and when the unions get busted, companies cut back on safety even more.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Indeed this is a tragic time and families should morn. But the guys who take this job know that their lifespan wont be long or die before usual.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
DAMN was I wrong. I go to sleep thinking one thing, and wake up and watch the news and find it was a hoax or miscommunication.

Unfortunately, this is just the way it is for a miner. Its a very well paying job relatively speaking for the area ($50k/yr is A LOT of money in smaller communities like that - its over double the avg salary here in Mobile, AL in fact)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everyone was thanking God when they thought everyone but one lived and now it seems they're cussing Him. I would like to know what the violations were that the mining operation had been cited over the past year.

One of the most dangerous jobs out there to date...Feel bad for their families.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Notes assured families miners died peacefully
'Your dad didn't suffer,' wrote victims while trapped underground
Peggy Cohen, daughter of deceased miner Fred Ware, holds her 2-year-old son Hunter Cohen at her father's house in Tallmansville, W.Va., on Thursday.
Carolyn Kaster / AP

NBC VIDEO: MINE DISASTER

Today show
• Remembering the 12 Sago miners
Jan. 5: Family and friends remember the 12 coal miners killed in West Virginia while officials begin an investigation and the company that owns the mine apologizes for miscommunication. NBC's Tom Costello reports.

• Miners' kids discuss father's death

• Miner's improvement 'slight'

• Rescuers misunderstood

• Mine tragedy investigation

• Conflicting information

• Families furious

• Governor, victim's son discuss accident

• Timeline of the tragedy

• Print this

Slide show

• Miners mourned
Friends and relatives remember the 12 trapped miners who died at the Sago Mine. Click "Launch" to view images.

Updated: 3:28 p.m. ET Jan. 5, 2006
TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - Some of the 12 coal miners who died following an explosion left notes behind assuring family members that their final hours trapped underground were not spent in agony, a relative said Thursday.

“The notes said they weren’t suffering, they were just going to sleep,” said Peggy Cohen, who had been called to a makeshift morgue at a school to identify the body of her father, 59-year-old mining machine operator Fred Ware Jr.

Cohen said a note was not left with Ware’s body, but that she planned to retrieve his personal belongings later Thursday to see if he left one in his lunch box. But she said the medical examiner told her notes left with several of the bodies all carried a similar message: “Your dad didn’t suffer.”

Ware was among a dozen miners who were found after 41 hours inside the mine. They were found at the deepest point of the Sago Mine, about 2½ miles from the entrance, behind a fibrous plastic cloth stretched across an area about 20 feet wide to keep out deadly carbon monoxide gas.

Click for related story
The latest on the surviving miner's condition

Deceased miner did not look injured
Cohen said her father had the peaceful look of someone who died from carbon monoxide, and the only mark on his body was a bruise on his chest. “It comforts me to know he didn’t suffer and he wasn’t bruised or crushed. I didn’t need a note. I think I needed to visualize and see him.”

More on the mine
• Feds vow probe
• WP: Safety violations piled up
• A blow to the
coal industry
• Profiles of miners
• Fact file: High stakes of coal mining
• Slide show: Agonizing wait

The sole survivor, 26-year-old Randal McCloy, remained in critical condition in a coma in a Morgantown hospital Thursday with a collapsed lung, dehydration and other problems.

A spokeswoman for Gov. Joe Manchin said autopsies on the dead should be completed either late Thursday or early Friday, and his office indicated that if the families want him there, he would attend all the funerals.

Families of the victims are considering legal action, said Amber Helms, whose father, fire boss Terry Helms, was among those killed.

“It’s the biggest thing that’s going to happen after these miners are put to rest,” she said Thursday on NBC’s “Today.”

In other developments, federal and state investigators were at the mine Thursday seeking a cause for Monday’s explosion. Coal mine explosions are typically caused by buildups of naturally occurring methane gas or highly combustible coal dust in the air, but what exactly triggered that explosion remained unclear.

The Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette reported Thursday that a federal contractor that monitors thunderstorms detected three lightning strikes within five miles of the Sago mine within a half hour of Monday’s explosions. The contractor, Vaisala Inc., said two of the strikes, including one that was four to 10 times stronger than average, hit within 1½ miles of the mine.

David Dye, who heads the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration, said that in addition to the cause, investigation will also probe “how emergency information was relayed about the trapped miners’ conditions.”

Just before midnight Tuesday, families received word that 12 miners were alive. Bells at the church pealed and politicians proclaimed the rescue a miracle before the truth emerged three hours later. At that point, the families’ joy turned instantly to fury, with one man lunging at coal company officials.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
I think the blame on releasing unconfirmed info is set upon those in the coference room that were asked NOT to report any information until it could be confirmed. They walked out and got on their cell phones and the misinformation spread like wildfire.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Updated: 3:28 p.m. ET Jan. 5, 2006
TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - Some of the 12 coal miners who died following an explosion left notes behind assuring family members that their final hours trapped underground were not spent in agony, a relative said Thursday.

“The notes said they weren’t suffering, they were just going to sleep,” said Peggy Cohen, who had been called to a makeshift morgue at a school to identify the body of her father, 59-year-old mining machine operator Fred Ware Jr.

I found an odd sense of peace in the fact the miners left notes.