Foreman Grill Question

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
OK, I got a genaric Foreman Grill for Christmas. I threw some chicken breasts on there last night with some Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning and they came out dry as all hell. I know marinating them would of helped, but didn't have time. My wiife noted this is why she hated GF grills: the dryness. I never bothered getting one because we had a nice electric indoor grill that went to poop not too long ago. I know a lot of you bros like the GFG, so give me some advice on this.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I love mine. I've been a GF Grill owner for about 4 years now. For one, and I know it sounds stupid, but don't over cook the chicken. Watch the chicken closely. It's easier to overcook chicken on the older grills. I have the newer one with removeable plates, temp control and timer so I really don't have that problem anymore. Marinating is a great idea like you said. I have also found that dousing the chicken with lemon juice while cooking not only leaves the chicken nice and juicy, but it gives the chicken a light lemon flavor, which I love.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
don't close the grill and the chicken doesn't dry out. for me anyway. just cook one side at a time. marinade always helps too.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
The way I do it is I cover the breasts with Olive Oil(after marinating of course) then cook them normally, closing the grill. Check them every couple of minutes, maybe even turning them. Also, if your grill has the temperature slide setting, don't set it all the way, maybe just 3/4 of the way.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I've been contemplating writing a recipe cliif notes book for the Foreman. You must experiement ot get it right. As the devil said, don't close the grill, and if you do, don't do it for long! It is very hot, and you will burn your bird. The Foreman is an awesome grilling machine, just get creative. I open grill cook medium thick steaks on my foreman and have better results than most restaraunts.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just keep an eye on it, just about any size peice unless frozen should be done in 8-10 minutes. At least with mine. Now the only time the chicken comes out really dry for me is if I forget its there and I leave it on for 15 minutes. Then its just nasty.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Goddamn! If I left a chicken titty in my foreman for 15 minutes it'd be a pile of hot, burnt chicken coals

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I do fine with the grill closed. Though the older grills are not really dummy proofed, so I can see your prediciment Beelze.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah yeah, nate has to have every gadget known to man to cook correctly. i'm impressed. :rolleyes:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty pissed actually. I bought the GF with the removable plates right before he came out with the newer G5 grill. You can cook waffles on the sucka for christ sakes.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i bought that gigantic one (original model). can cook 8 quarter pound burgers at once, it's awesome.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
i bought that gigantic one (original model). can cook 8 quarter pound burgers at once, it's awesome.
I had that one until I finally got tired of cleaning it off. What a pain in the ass.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The foreman grills are great, but like mentioned above they'll cook the hell out of chicken *really* fast. Especially the ones with no temp control.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I had that one until I finally got tired of cleaning it off. What a pain in the ass.
it's not that bad, a little sponge work. then again, i haven't used the new ones so i'm not sure how much of a cleaning difference there is.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Big Question:

How do you guys clean your GF? I warm mine up when prepping and use a paper towel. Unfortunatly the PT ends up stuck in much of the grill.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
just buy one of those built in sponge/dish soap gizmos. You can get them anywhere. You put the soap right in the back of it and it works well.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Squeaks, who is that in your avator?

supah hawaiian

Awards
I have one of the older GFG’s that can cook up to 8 breasts. I have always as most have said to marinade, but I also add a bit of hazelnut oil to the marinade to assure no burning. I have always closed the top. I think I may try to leave the top open just to see if I can get mine a bit juicier. As far as cleaning, after I get done cooking I leave it on to stay hot and I use a small sponge and paper towels. What I hate most about mine is that I can not get in certain areas to clean it. I usually only use mine when I have run out of propane for my regular grill.

Anybody have any good ideas for marinades?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
just buy one of those built in sponge/dish soap gizmos. You can get them anywhere. You put the soap right in the back of it and it works well.
yup, same thing i use. one of those wand thingamajigs.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Just keep an eye on it, just about any size peice unless frozen should be done in 8-10 minutes. At least with mine. Now the only time the chicken comes out really dry for me is if I forget its there and I leave it on for 15 minutes. Then its just nasty.
Do you go straight from the freezer or defrost it first?

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
beer is always good and you can use the low carb kind it gets everything tender. you can add what you want to it.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yup, poke hundreds of holes in whatever meat you have with a fork, throw it in a bowl with some marinade and some beer. marinade it as long as you can (generally overnight for me) and grill.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
SQUEAKS!

Thank you for your response, our demographic has just been increased!! Glad you are here.

:hammer:

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
I would like to take credit for this new addition to our wonderful comunity.... so let me know if there is anything else i can help you with

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
YAY! i'm approved! Maynard shut up and don't think i forgot that you owe me 9 bucks!

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
As far as the scrubby thing goes, do it when the grill is hot, cold- before after use? Thanks, although I may look like Mr. Clean; I didn't get the skills.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
i think that is the biggest problem people have. they let the grill cool off. i have never had a cleanings issue with my GFG as long as i cleaned it right away

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I remember when I first got a GF grill. I lived in the barracks and grilled right outside of my door on the catwalk. After I was done I would take it to my shower and clean it off in there. That seemed to work pretty well. But having the removable plates is great. You can take them off, wash them in the sink and throw them in the dishwasher if you like.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info, guys. Like I said, mine is some genaric version because it was half the price of the GF. It has removable plates that will hold 4 good sized breasts, but no temp control, just the timer. I usually use some form of Italian dressing or olive oil concoction for my marinades and will try it with the lid open next time.