CNN - How about some news?

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Here's an idea... what if CNN, which stands for Cable News Network... actually reported news?

The channel is ridiculous. I quit watching it and the Headline News some time ago but was in a public place today where it was on, so I watched it.

In 45 minutes time, I got maybe 2 real news items. Most of the time was spent talking about Madonna at the MTV Europe awards. The next most time was allocated to talking about how a breeder in NY crossed a pug with a beagle to make a new hot selling dog breed. For $900 you can own a Puggle.

This is just another reason other countries think the US is stupid and lacks culture. Our 'news' is entertainment. The things that might matter, which are 'reported' on, aren't generally researched or expressed in a educated manner. Serious matters of real importance are given a quick pass and, at that, usually a political slant moreso than factual reporting. But God forbid if any of us doesn't know every step about Brad and Jen or Nick and Jessica or whatever.

CNN and HNN basically seem to me to be about 50% entertainment news, 25% non-news human interest, oddity type stories, and 25% actual news... max.

On what channel can I find BBC America? I'd like to see what is really going on in my own country and the rest of the... what's it called?... oh yeah... world!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
My wife and I watch The Headline News from time to time and I have to agree. Some of the **** they come up with is total pointless garbage. I also notice it takes about 20 minutes before they begin recycling news they just talked about...20 minutes ago! I'll tell you a good show for news. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Now that's some funny shiat right there.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Yeah bro, you would think they'd have a reporter in France covering the riots, or reminding us that we're still in Afghanistan.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I go with FOX news channel myself. Seems much more comprehensive and less biased. Of course, maybe that's my own personal bias...;)

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I remember last summer, working the desk at the gym which we had TV's next to. CNN happened to be the news channel on one of them. This was during the time of either the Najaf or Fallujah battles and I was waiting to hear the latest. They spent the whole morning talking about Scott Peterson, and I mean the whole damned morning.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
..definitely getting better news coverage from CNW than from CNN...;)

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I think about this all the time. This is actually a big reason why Al-jazeera is so popular all over the world. It isn't ONLY a terrorist network. Go to google and type that in to get the English version. Some of their news is actually very informative. The rest of the world seems to think so too since sometimes it gets more hits than Google!

CNN FUCKING SUCKS!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
My wife and I actually used to watch it quite a bit.

She named it CNN = Communist News Network ;)

CROWLER

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
What annoys me is how reporters always use the 24 hour news cycle to justify this ****. Okay, you have 24 hours to fill with news, explain to me why 23.5 hours of it is pure bullshit?

CREAO

Awards
local news is even worse....its always something about how someone died or beaten....and another thing that sorta annoys me is how nationals news never reports on anything good happening in iraq....its always about death.....why cant they report on things that our service men are doing, like shooting the damn insurgents or rescuing a civilian from danger

Shock133

Awards
another thing that sorta annoys me is how national news never reports on anything good happening in iraq....its always about death.....why cant they report on things that our service men are doing, like shooting the damn insurgents or rescuing a civilian from danger
Because most people don't want to be as informed as you do. Sex and violence sell.

I've preached the same thing for a while now especially since I've seen both sides; the news and the real deal. It's frustrating but that's the world my friend.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm 100% Newspapers when it comes to news. I try to read my local college paper, Des Moines Register, and New York Times.

TV News stations are embarrassingly bad:

CNN - Already touched on.

Fox News - Basically 100% opinion commentary. For a few months, it seemed like the only news that happened was the Natalie Holloway case. This and Bill O'Reilly's tinfoil hat ravings is what made me stop watching that station.

MSNBC - See Fox News.