Awards
  • Established
I am right in the path of Hurricane Wilma. :aargh:
This is going to suck!

Yjyankee

More Cowbell
Awards
  • Established
Good luck Coach! You'll be in our thoughts & prayers over here in Baton Rouge, LA. A friend of mine lives in Tampa & is nervous too..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Hang in there DT! The good news is it'll be a short hurricane..should be gone by morning. Those poor folks in Cancun got stuck with it for over 48 hours..that HAD to suck bad!

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
You'll be fine. Its supposed to weaken a bit too...

Remember... the media overhypes ALL hurricanes now that Katrina has gone through... and it was a very different storm from any other... It had a tremendous storm surge and had big winds very far from the center of the storm.

MOST hurricanes, including this one, are not like that... peak wind speed is only on the northeast side of the wall and you'll mostly see 60% or less of the wind speed when leaving the center. This is good because when you double windspeed, you quadruple the force exerted by the wind.... 75mph sustained winds are no slouch... but you wont see the 140mph winds that southern mississippi saw.

Windspeed decreases drastically when leaving the center of the storm... remember that. Katrina did not follow this rule (and they knew it before the storm hit)... this storm is just a regular hurricane. You might lose power for a bit and it will knock some trees down... but its not some life-threatening disaster like the media is making it out to be.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Have fun!

:wave:

I've got lots of good bros down in your area... I hope the storm does little damage/disruption for all your sakes.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've already been through it. Have a tree on a car and was up all night. Not fun.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here is one for you. I had a tree fall on car and heavy spanish tiles blown off my roof but my direct tv satellite, power and cable never went out.

Go figure.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, everyone down there. My unit got put on alert for this a few days ago. I'd love for us to go help out, but would like even more for it not to come to that.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Here is one for you. I had a tree fall on car and heavy spanish tiles blown off my roof but my direct tv satellite, power and cable never went out.

Go figure.
My Direct TV goes out in simple rain storms sometimes. What's up with that? Glad you're safe. Insurance should cover the damages correct?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My direct TV goes out with heavy rains as well during the summer down here but it didn't go out last night with a friggin hurricane. Insurance will take care of everytihng but the tiles are mostly cosmetic and it will take forever for a roofer to even come out and do it since there will be many more epxensive jobs for him to do. I might just do it myself.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to give you all update.

The hurricane hit HARD. My house had considerable damage. I am now staying with family in Tampa, as almost 98% of Broward county is without power. Its a shitty and chaotic situation and I don't plan on going home until my university opens. Thanks for your thoughts.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bean,

Looks like you were flat wrong bro.

This one was not over-hyped. South Florida is a freaking mess, as Die says.

IMO, people put too much stock in the NHC forecasters and don't get ready. I've heard many stories out of S. FLA of folks not even preparing because they though (like Bean) that it would weaken quite a bit.

It's you life.