Getting a street bike- need help tho..

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I am getting a motorcycle because I am sick of spending 45+ minutes to find parking at school and cause I have always wanted one. I am looking to get either a Honda CBR, Yamaha r6, suzuki gsx-r 600, or a yamaha yzf-600

I am actually having a lot of trouble even finding a bike. I am finding a lot of yamaha yzf-600's and they look pretty good but are they even decent bikes? How do they compare to say an r6? worth buying or should i just wait and get an r6?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
don't go crazy on your first bike man .. pick up something managable and get used to it .. you can **** the hell outta yourself with a powerful bike and no experience

tattoopierced1

gixxer all the way bro. The Suzuki GSXR series bikes are bad as hell. I've ridden Honda CBR, Yamaha R series and Kawasaki Ninjas and the Suzuki has the best power ratio to weight ratio that I've seen and its darn comfortable on top of that, although the most comfortable seems to be the CBRs.

imichael

Board Supporter
Awards
If it's a first bike, then the YZF is a good bet, also look at the Suzuki Bandit (not sure if it had the same name in the USA). Both are easy rides, enough power to have fun and bullet proof. The Bandit has a huge market for aftermarket kit to boost the handling and performance too.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
where do you live? i only ask because insurance for a SUPER sport bike (one you are looking at can be taxing on the wallet)

you have your license yet?

if yes, you take the test at the DMV or at a riders safety course?

any prior riding experience at all?

I highly suggest against all bikes mentioned above, they are NOT beginner bikes. i would suggest a Suzuki SV650S for a first bike. i have had one for a first bike and loved it. everyone i have talked to that had one loved it also. its good because its not a super sport so you dont pay as much for the bike and also insurence but its a sport bike no doubt. easy to ride, nice clutch, nice transmition, good speed, looks good (you can add side fairings to give it a CBR/R6 type look for somewhat cheap).

knox

Awards
  • Established
If You're needing something to get to and from school i'd say go with the moped. Very cheap little rides and all the ladies would want a turn riding with you. Nothing says "i'm a badass" more then a tweeked out moped.

Attachments

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
here is the yzf-600 i was looking at

Last edited:

tattoopierced1

I disagree with the above mentioned statements...as long as you dont go out and do stupid stuff on the bike, most people would be fine as long as they can keep their ego in check. However, I am against spending money on a bike, and then end up "out growing it" and have to turn around and try and sell it and buy another bike.... this is just my opinion, everyones is different.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes just look at this.
Hm. I wonder how the rider is doing?

I must say I strongly disagree with tattoopierced1. You can always get another bike. Necks OTOH cannot ever be changed.

Imagine you're on cycle. Tren is almost taking control. You went out. You had 2 beers 3 hours apart. There was a little bit of rain, the pavement is slightly damp. You've had your bike for a couple months, feel comfortable on it. You get on it. How much provocation do you need to go just a little too hard on the steering or the throttle?

Almost none. Real bad **** can happen. I say: Safe biking: your life is in your hands. It's much better to be safe, man. Losing control at 30mph CAN happen and CAN wreck you real bad.

tattoopierced1

safe biking is NEVER going out on a bike when drinking..that is stupid IMO and a person that does this, deserves to wreck. You can have an accident on any bike, and for the most part, the thing you have to watch out for is other drivers, not you and your bike.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Two suggestions for ya...

1. GSXR
2. Life insurance, and a donor card

tattoopierced1

ok, maybe i'm not understanding here, but why does everyone think that getting a non super sport bike will somehow "save your life" if you've never ridden before? As long as you dont "ho shot" the bike or get on the accelerator too much starting out and dont do stupid things on the bike to feed the ego, then essentially all bikes are the same. heck, you could die on a motor scooter.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I don't care what type of bike you got, GSXR is my poison of choice. I swar off bikes (of any kind) the day my baby was born.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Actually...I think the opposite, I would much rather have a faster bike. It will get you out of trouble easier.

When I told my mom in high school I was getting a bike, she asked the size, I said 500cc, she said there is no way you will get that, and if you insist on a bike get a 750 minimum.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
im selling a bandit if u live near s.cali, suzuki makes the best bike out of the asian market

BMW

Awards
  • Established
always ride suited and booted from head to toe if you can you can avoid some pretty nasty injuries with your full gear on.

tattoopierced1

Actually...I think the opposite, I would much rather have a faster bike. It will get you out of trouble easier.

When I told my mom in high school I was getting a bike, she asked the size, I said 500cc, she said there is no way you will get that, and if you insist on a bike get a 750 minimum.
I am a big fan of the 750 GSXRs...however, my next bike I get will be the liter bike, GSXR 1000. I swore off doing the stupid stuff after my first and only wreck. I was being dumb and I deserved it, ever since then, my ego is in check and I dont feel the need to show off on the bikes anymore. I guess a person just needs to understand a few rules and have their head on straight, then bike size really doesnt matter.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I never crashed, have gone way too fast however. I did dump a 750 Interceptor when I was going 3 miles an hour, I only weighed 135 back then and that is a big bike.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
yes if one is responsible enough to drive a SS bike then by all means go for it. a beginner however will not be able to handle the power of those bikes. they are racing bike pure and simple, with racing brakes on them. if a newbie goes into a turn with that bike and feels hes going to fast whats the one thing hes going to do? probably squeeze that brake and have a high side crash and possibly get seriously hurt.

and having a faster bike doesn't mean it will get you home safer. if i had to bet, actually i would deff. bet on this, which bike has less crashes a sport bike like the SV650S or a SS like a GSXR i would put my money on the SV.

lets not forget about peer pressure which lake WILL get from his peers to go faster, pop a wheelie and do a bunch of other stupid ****.

i rather be alive then pop a wheelie for my buddies.

tattoopierced1

I never crashed, have gone way too fast however. I did dump a 750 Interceptor when I was going 3 miles an hour, I only weighed 135 back then and that is a big bike.
I front flipped a Honda CBR 600 F4 at about 70 miles per hour, no helmet. I'm very lucky. I still think though that if you dont get egotistical on them, you'll be ok. I guess it all comes down to what YOU want to do.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
I front flipped a Honda CBR 600 F4 at about 70 miles per hour, no helmet. I'm very lucky. I still think though that if you dont get egotistical on them, you'll be ok. I guess it all comes down to what YOU want to do.
holy

i put my bike down at something like 40 (locked up the brakes) and i ended up breaking my shoulder blade and dislocating it. along with almost loosing my pinky (damn those gloves).

you are a lucky man.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
yes if one is responsible enough to drive a SS bike then by all means go for it. a beginner however will not be able to handle the power of those bikes. they are racing bike pure and simple, with racing brakes on them. if a newbie goes into a turn with that bike and feels hes going to fast whats the one thing hes going to do? probably squeeze that brake and have a high side crash and possibly get seriously hurt.

and having a faster bike doesn't mean it will get you home safer. if i had to bet, actually i would deff. bet on this, which bike has less crashes a sport bike like the SV650S or a SS like a GSXR i would put my money on the SV.

lets not forget about peer pressure which lake WILL get from his peers to go faster, pop a wheelie and do a bunch of other stupid ****.

i rather be alive then pop a wheelie for my buddies.

why the sv650 over the yzf600? its still below the r6 and r1

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
why the sv650 over the yzf600? its still below the r6 and r1
true it is below both those bikes and i would say if youre going to get any of the ones listed i would get that one but here are some things to look at.

-it might be concidered a supersport which would cost you at the insurance end of things, especially at 21 and if you had any tickets or accidents
-the SV costs less and its still a great bike
-SV is about 40 lbs lighter when dry
-SV has 50 more CCs
-SV has gotten better reviews in many of the motorcycle mags

only thing i would say that the YZF might have over the SV is the engine is a 4 cyl instead of an V-twin. that is personal preference though.

oww and the colors, last years models had yellow with black rims, it looked sick. might want to look into a pre owned, could get it cheap and in a nice color. i admitt the yamaha looks pretty sweet.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I kind of wanted a bike because of the recent surge in gas prices, but I'm a little weary after hearing stories like that. I hear way too many stories of people getting fucked on bikes.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
I kind of wanted a bike because of the recent surge in gas prices, but I'm a little weary after hearing stories like that. I hear way too many stories of people getting fucked on bikes.
i dont want to give off the wrong impression here which i think i did. motorcycles are an awsome thing to have. they can be extremely fun when used correctly and the time is put into them to learn how to use them.

motorcycles are like juicing. if you dont put the time in before to learn about them and use them correctly, youre going to get hurt.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Several rules when getting a first streetbike:

1) Get something you can handle, modern 600s are as fast or faster as the older liter bikes were 10 years ago. They WILL KILL YOU. It goes beyond respecting them, it goes into rider skill... PERIOD. A YF-600 would be a much better first bike than the R6. The R6 is a snappy racing bike made for the street.

2) Gixxers are some of the most UNcomfortable bikes to ride unless you're like 5'8 or something. Me being 6'1 I felt cramped when riding around on a 00 GSXR-600 AND it has more of a racebike seating arrangement, you are splayed out more than you would be on the CBR600 or ZX-6R. This isnt opinion, its fact.

3) Get a used bike and get frame sliders, because you WILL drop your first bike at least once and possibly 2 or 3 times.

4) Take the MSF course, it drops your insurance costs down and can save your life. There are things that you don't just figure out so easily when riding a bike... its nothing like driving a car.

5) Dont ask for bike advice on a board like this. I love this place, but its not exactly filled with correct information pertaining to anything like bikes or cars (this thread is a great example in a few posts). http://www.sportbikes.net (or better named SBN) is the best forum out there for sportbikes, they are harsh with newbies, but thats to be expected... there are many many stupid people that think they are smart enough to get away with a powerful first bike... and they die.

To the opinionated parts of the thread:

The CBR600RR ownz joo ;) :head:

BMW

Awards
  • Established
Several rules when getting a first streetbike:

1) Get something you can handle, modern 600s are as fast or faster as the older liter bikes were 10 years ago. They WILL KILL YOU. It goes beyond respecting them, it goes into rider skill... PERIOD. A YF-600 would be a much better first bike than the R6. The R6 is a snappy racing bike made for the street.

2) Gixxers are some of the most UNcomfortable bikes to ride unless you're like 5'8 or something. Me being 6'1 I felt cramped when riding around on a 00 GSXR-600 AND it has more of a racebike seating arrangement, you are splayed out more than you would be on the CBR600 or ZX-6R. This isnt opinion, its fact.

3) Get a used bike and get frame sliders, because you WILL drop your first bike at least once and possibly 2 or 3 times.

4) Take the MSF course, it drops your insurance costs down and can save your life. There are things that you don't just figure out so easily when riding a bike... its nothing like driving a car.

5) Dont ask for bike advice on a board like this. I love this place, but its not exactly filled with correct information pertaining to anything like bikes or cars (this thread is a great example in a few posts). http://www.sportbikes.net (or better named SBN) is the best forum out there for sportbikes, they are harsh with newbies, but thats to be expected... there are many many stupid people that think they are smart enough to get away with a powerful first bike... and they die.

To the opinionated parts of the thread:

The CBR600RR ownz joo ;) :head:
i strongly have to disagree with number 2. im 6'0 and the gixxer is the only jap bike that rides comfortably. the cbr and ninja you mentioned are horribly uncomfortable, those bike are for small people i mostly see chicks with those bike, i would love to get a zx-6r as those are a WAYYYY big improvement over the old ninjas but i cant ride that thing comfortably. always get a bike you feel comfortable with which can be an opinon depending on your prefrence

Captain Canuck

Awards
Bike insurants are not cheap either. I don't know how it is in the USA but up here in Canada the insurants company just gouges you.

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I'm a sportbike ryder. I have been ruffryding for nine years now. If you planning on buying a bike, this is the perfect time to buy one because of the season.

I DO HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY CLASS AND ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR AND THAT DOES MEAN THE {{{ HELMET }}}.

I love all kinds of sportbike and it's hard to pick but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you start with the 600 class, so you can get a feel and master the bike. The bike will become part of your body and you will be one with the bike. Once you find the perfect bike for you...You will understand what I'm talking about. :)

ALSO

If you planning on ryding females on your bike, it's best to start with the 600 class...so, you can master the weight of the bike. {It's all about control...If you can't master that control...don't place that female on your bike and PLEASE DON'T PLACE A FAT CHICK ON A 600CC. I hate to hear a bike cry.}

I have a ZX-9 and a GIX 1000 sportbike. My bikes are design and trick out. :)

I LOVE BIKES AND THAT WHERE THE NAME "QUICKRYDE" COMES FROM. {It's better than sex}

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i strongly have to disagree with number 2. im 6'0 and the gixxer is the only jap bike that rides comfortably. the cbr and ninja you mentioned are horribly uncomfortable, those bike are for small people i mostly see chicks with those bike, i would love to get a zx-6r as those are a WAYYYY big improvement over the old ninjas but i cant ride that thing comfortably. always get a bike you feel comfortable with which can be an opinon depending on your prefrence

I think you're the only person I've ever heard say that. I've ridden one and have several friends that sell them because they are so uncomfortable. Its a great track bike because of the powerband and the rider position.

Now granted MOST CBRs have a really uncomfortable seat, but the positioning is pretty comfy (the 600RR isnt, of course thats more akin to the GSXR bikes anyways)...

As for chicks riding bikes; I see chicks on more GSXRs and ZX-6Rs than anything... I remember this one REALLY cool girl who asked for a bike in place of an engagement ring. Pretty hawt too ;) :cheers:

tattoopierced1

I'm 6'7" and the Gixxer is comfortable.....no problems here...Kawasaki's are IMO the most uncomfortable...

imichael

Board Supporter
Awards
6'7" on a gixxer 600?!

you must look like one of those russian circus bears on a bicycle :blink:.

I'm 5'11" and get creaky knees on a gixxer 6 unless I'm really throwing it around.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
6'7" on a gixxer 600?!

I'm 5'11" and get creaky knees on a gixxer 6 unless I'm really throwing it around.
:icon_lol: :toofunny:

Well it seems like everyone has a different opinion lol. I think I am just going to get that bike that I posted (the silver yzf-600). It only has 1500 miles on it and they want like 4200 for it (2003). I wanted a low mileage bike and that bike looks really nice to me. It has enough speed for me too since I am not looking to be burnin around the city ;). Thanks guys.

tattoopierced1

6'7" on a gixxer 600?!

No i dont ride a 600, i just say that it is comfortable... i am getting a 1000cc because i'm so big....

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established

Well it seems like everyone has a different opinion lol. I think I am just going to get that bike that I posted (the silver yzf-600). It only has 1500 miles on it and they want like 4200 for it (2003). I wanted a low mileage bike and that bike looks really nice to me. It has enough speed for me too since I am not looking to be burnin around the city ;). Thanks guys.
thats a good choice, good luck with it. you wont regret getting a bike, promise that.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established

ROCK ON :head:

Have fun and stay safe :D

tattoopierced1

make sure to get a good helmet....keep in mind that some, not all, block some of your periphial vision, so look for one that doesnt when trying them on. I cant tell you how many times some dumb ass has almost hit me and if i hadnt had my periphial vision, i would be a splatter on the road..

Ant.

Cutting Sucks!
Awards
I have been wanting to get a bike too. I agree about the gixxer being uncomfortable. I rode a 600 and I kept having to take my leg off to keep my hip from cramping. Im only 5'10. The zx6 felt much more comfortable to me. I have been riding dirt bikes and such my whole life but I dont have much experience on a streetbike. I will probably get a SV650. They are nice bikes and can be made to look pretty good with the fairings they have for them now. I think the yzf 600 will be fine for you. Post up some pics when you get it. Good luck with it man.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Speaking of helmets... don't get a SNELL certified helmet... its easier to die from head trauma with one of those vs a plain-jane DOT helmet...

There's an article out there... I think its on motorcycle weekly or something like that... saw the post up on SBN. VERY VERY indept testing procedures and it proves that the SNELL helmets cause stronger impact to the brain because they are TOO stiff and have less energy absorption properties and more focused on protecting the HELMET from cracking. DOT and Euro helmets just tested so much safer... and the highest rated helmet was a $80 helmet you can buy online.