starting a gym... ideas/thoughts

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
First off, I need to do something and work for myself.

Secondly, don't worry about the finances... I have peoples (always wanted to say that) that can figure that out.

I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I've been throwing around the idea of getting my own gym up and running but I'm not sure if I can compete with the chain gyms (Bally's, Lifetime, Northwest) in my area. They all have multiple locations and definately have the market cornered to some degree.

Do you guys think a smaller, upstart gym could make it with the big boys? What would be your angle?

Obviously I need to look at client base and see what other gyms don't offer, etc, etc. I'd also love to stay in the MPLS area but maybe I'll have to leave to an area that's more condusive. I know I could do it in a small-town community, but that's even MORE of a life change.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest you start looking at developing areas. You can get land/building cheaper, the big chains may not be in these areas yet and you will be primed for future growth. By the tim ethe surroundung area has fully developed in 5 or so years, you are now the big kid on the block.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My opinion:
You need to figure out who your target market is going to be and center around that. I don't know how much money you want to make or are expecting to lose, but I say you go for the gold and concentrate your attention on BBers/PLers/Strength athletes of all kinds. Have a little bit of the hardcore stuff (free-weights, DBs, a puke bucket or two, Strongman stuff,et.c) to go along with some nice ass Hammer Strength machines. Music would have to be some sort of hard/heavy rock. Cardio equipment is cool, but no need for lots and lots of it. I'd personally want to make a "Nice hardcore gym"

your gym>:nutkick: <pussy gyms

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I wish I had your problems :D Seriously, though, sounds awesome and best of luck to ya. Having worked at a few of the "bigger" gyms I know that they market market market. They push the sales staff pretty hard to get those new members. Personally, I hate that approach, but it must work. One thing you may want to consider is that these bigger gyms are more and more leaning towards the fitness side of things and less towards bodybuilding. This leaves a big hole for the serious types wishing they had a hardcore place to go to with equipment that is getting harder and harder to come by.
And, like custom said, location is a HUGE factor to consider. I've worked at a couple of really bad locations and one of them doesn't exist anymore and the other only got maybe two new members a week, which is pretty crappy for a big franchise.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
In a perfect world, that's my place. No fuggin six-pack posers. I want to make a decent living but it doesn't need to be a millionaire type of deal. Comfortably. Money is not the object, happiness is.

I know there are probably plenty of "niche" markets in the gym area I can try, but I really would love to make it with a BB'ing gym that's more hardcore.

My opinion:
You need to figure out who your target market is going to be and center around that. I don't know how much money you want to make or are expecting to lose, but I say you go for the gold and concentrate your attention on BBers/PLers/Strength athletes of all kinds. Have a little bit of the hardcore stuff (free-weights, DBs, a puke bucket or two, Strongman stuff,et.c) to go along with some nice ass Hammer Strength machines. Music would have to be some sort of hard/heavy rock. Cardio equipment is cool, but no need for lots and lots of it. I'd personally want to make a "Nice hardcore gym"

your gym>:nutkick: <pussy gyms

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! If I can get that hardcore BBer gym to be successful it'd be a dream.

I figure I have one shot with this investor (rich relative, but the situation is VERY positive), and I want to be very prepared and knock his socks off with the proposal. I'm pretty sure he'll go for it if I can show it being potentially profitable.

I wish I had your problems :D Seriously, though, sounds awesome and best of luck to ya. Having worked at a few of the "bigger" gyms I know that they market market market. They push the sales staff pretty hard to get those new members. Personally, I hate that approach, but it must work. One thing you may want to consider is that these bigger gyms are more and more leaning towards the fitness side of things and less towards bodybuilding. This leaves a big hole for the serious types wishing they had a hardcore place to go to with equipment that is getting harder and harder to come by.
And, like custom said, location is a HUGE factor to consider. I've worked at a couple of really bad locations and one of them doesn't exist anymore and the other only got maybe two new members a week, which is pretty crappy for a big franchise.

t_dot_porkchop

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
its all in the marketing; target your market AND keep them coming with promos, referrals, local ads, internet, and hype even.

guys who lift are forced to being stuck in "fitness clubs" with half-assed equipment because there is nothing else around. the thing is: are there enough of them to keep your gym open and making money (or atleast breaking even).

i think these types of gyms are becoming extinct for a reason. the market is just not sustainable. if you can make it work though, it would be awesome.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What I'd do. Look around local gyms, how big is your BBing market? I'm sure if these types found a better gym they'd be happy to switch. You just need to get the word to them.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
honestly it would be amazingly dope if you opened up a hardcore gym ... but don't expect it to last if you do .. there aren't too many people that want to lift in that environment and the ones that do aren't always the most reliable financially

if you want to open a gym and have it remain open you're best bet is to open a "health club/fitness center" type deal .. i know we all think they are lame .. and that's because they are .. but the VAST VAST VAST majority of the population wants a place like that to "exercise" in

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I want a place that has loads of free weights, and loads of machines... double the loads of Cardio equipment. I like it clean, and bright, A/C helps. and a track that goes around the room is a huge plus.

The key for me is making the place comfortable for the good looking ladies.. Most of the ladies won't want to touch to much free weights (although more and more seem to be doing just that.. which is kewl). So you need the machines and cardio equipment to draw them in... having the track around the room also gets them comfortable as they circle all the sweating and grunting men (like me). then you have the free weights section, where the serious BB'r can get it done, while having an oppertunity to get inspired (sneaking peaks at fine ass's in the mirrors.... OH yea, lots of mirrors is great).

I have a hard time seeing myself choosing another gym... it's about 50% woman / 50% men, and the equipment is more then fair... although I wish they had a second squat rack, and heavier dbs. It has everything I need, (except perhaps a tbar). :(

Would you believe I pay 800 bucks a year to go to this gym.... part of that is 20 bucks a month for the executive change room... (towels, shavers, cutips, hottub, sauna, etc). I think it's 800 bucks well spent though.

I suppose what might suck... is those that are financially sound, usually buy thier memberships for a year (much cheaper)... at least I do... and I couldn't be dragged away no matter how good your gym is until my membership runs out... (sept 30th. :()

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whatever your budget is, multiply it by three. I decided against it myself after I saw the costs. Most chains won't even look at you unless you have a million in assets with 1/3rd of that in available cash.

The insurance itself made me want to cry.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whatever your budget is, multiply it by three. I decided against it myself after I saw the costs. Most chains won't even look at you unless you have a million in assets with 1/3rd of that in available cash.

The insurance itself made me want to cry.
Listen to Bobo here.

Do the homework. Spend months of research the finacial aspect to it first then work on your target market.

I think once you get to the financials, like Bobo said, you'll want to cry when you realize just how much capital and cash flow you'll need.

Oh, and forget about a paycheque for a good year.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know I would never have an investor finance a gym. Bad combo.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unless said investor is a bodybuilder. But even then...

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Split the place in 2 like Poobah says. Have the nice window space for the cardio, mats and nautilus machines, and use less cute space for the squat racks and heavy lifting gear. Hammer strength machines. This way, the yuppies see the cute aspect of the gym, they can go with the wife.

What you want is the higher-end clientele signing up for your gym - they don't train that much for most, so you can sell a LOT of those memberships. They will spend most of their time in with the cardio and nautilus equipment. You want to try and have the cardio equipment nearest a WALL, facing away from it. WHY? 'Cause most women feel VERY uncomfortable at showing their butts to the whole gang while they are doing their 30 minutes of jogging. SERIOUSLY.

Music : keep it quiet. The louder it is, the more encouragement to noise that makes. Plus, this way more people will bring their walkmans MP3s whatever and have their favorite music while they train, and almost-silence if they prefer it that way. If the music is too loud, there is no point in wearing phones, unless you are going to be blasting extremely noisy sounds.

Ah, you might have a different sound system or simply louder volume on the bodybuilding side. But seriously, loud music is annoying to those who prefer to concentrate and on top of that, even the nearly-100% male bodybuilding crowd has varying tastes in music, so the louder it is, the unhappier a given part of your clientele will be. You keep it low and the guys who think they need music to lift weights will wear phones. :D

One thing that might make your endeavour even more viable is mini private training rooms. These rooms have a secondary, private entrance out back for example. The equipment are a set of Powerblocks, ball, variable bench, squat rack, some plates. Some of those places even have a stationary bike. These are for the obese, who are willing to pay major money for working out without having to show themselves in front of the buff crowd. This is extremely humiliating for them. Train them privately, they love the care and can dish out all the dough you need for the right treatment.

And with that money, keep the bodybuilding section in perfect repair. :D