Joining the Army at 32 good or bad idea

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    Yeah we did get paid extra for going to most Army bases, especially Airborne. I dont mean to sound like an Army hater here, that really isn't my intent, I have the utmost respect for ANYONE who serves in ANY branch of the service, but its obvious that you get treated better in the Air Force, the reason people go to the Army is for a particular MOS etc.

MathewD all of our instructors (we were around A LOT of them) were attached to teams like that. I knew a couple that were attached to Delta teams personally, they are the squadron out of Fort Bragg, well the AFB right next to it anyways. A lot of people don't really know about AFSOC but I can ASSURE YOU they are just as elite as any seal or beret.
    You might have not wanted to sound like an Army hater but you did come off that way.. and from what I remember you didn't stay that long... LIKE I SAID I am not knocking any of the special ops people because THEY all have important jobs and FOR the most part, neither can do the other jobs.. I think you didn't read my post because the FIRST thing I said was I didn't know that much about them.. but at the same token, you can't say how bad ass any unit is until you have either one been in the unit or trained with/against the unit..

2. Quote Originally Posted by salb3039
    I didnt read the replies. I just got out of the Army. Terrible decision. Definetely not what I expected and a disappointment. It changed my opinion of the Army.
    Not everyone finds the Army a great place to be... I had a roommate in Germany that hated the Army and spent his entire weekday evenings writing his Congressman about his situation but from the moment I laid eyes on the guy I knew that he was not Army material.. If I hadn't gotten married, I would would be finishing up 21 years but I don't regret going in or getting out. It was what I needed at the time
    •   

3. Well thats what I am saying, I did train with them, I also trained next to Recon, SEALs, and Rangers, in fact we had two rangers that transferred over to us. All of them had their strengths. The ranger was horrible on runs and swims, but could navigate and ruck like a monster, the SEALs were mostly outstanding swimmers, and the Recon guys were very gung ho which I love. I'll end all this right here cause I LOVE YOU MAN and I don't want any bad blood but I just wanted to put all this out there.
    PharmD

4. Well I grew up around Army guys and have been around them most of my life
    2 of my brothers were in the Army and loved it So thats the way I`m gonna go
    It was the age thing that I was worried about

5. Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    , the reason people go to the Army is for a particular MOS etc.
    VERY TRUE!!!! this is why i joined the ARMY. as far as the facilities go at the base im at all the accomidations are great!! the Gym is the nicest i have seen (was stationed in Hawaii befiore i came here) and got a chance to see all the other services accomidations. they were pretty much all up to par with each other. now as far a Govt ARMY Qtrs yeah it used to SUCK!! now its getting better. i live in a REALLY NICE House in housing.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Neu
    Well I grew up around Army guys and have been around them most of my life
    2 of my brothers were in the Army and loved it So thats the way I`m gonna go
    It was the age thing that I was worried about
    if you feel that way go for it by all means it is Great!! JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT IN WRITING!!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Neu
    If you can that would be great
    Was on post today and didn't see the sign, but I know it's there and I'll find it this week.

8. Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge
    Was on post today and didn't see the sign, but I know it's there and I'll find it this week.

N/P
  9. Talking

Former RANGER here, GO FOR IT !!! It's not gonna ge a cakewalk though. Well, it wasn't in the early 80's when this old fart was in.
    ROB

10. Join the air force not the army!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Get it in writing BEFORE signing...

Quote Originally Posted by Neu
    Talk to my recruiter last night looks like I am going 10th Mt. Division (Ft. Drum) and then lateral over to an SF
    unit he said with my score and physical abilaty I would make it but then again he could be BSing me
    Do not sign a contract unless EVERYTHING your recruiter "promised" is in the contract... Recruiters tend to shall we say.. "stretch the truth".

I was 29 when I joined (last Summer), I went in the best condition in my life and came out with a screwed up lower back, neck and knees.. I am still working back up to my strength I had prior to any military.

If you have a good career now or a family life, you might want to reconsider signing that dotted line... Just my opinion.

12. Quote Originally Posted by dmacdbest
    If you have a good career now or a family life, you might want to reconsider signing that dotted line... Just my opinion.
    bump , DONT DO IT!!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. pct bridging good or bad idea
    By jonboy13 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 05:10 PM
  2. Good or Bad Idea for 4AD/19-Nor?
    By SHREDDED4WEIGHT in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 06:02 PM
  3. Good or Bad Idea for 4AD/19-Nor?