Good Starter Bikes

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

wanted your opinions on a good starter bike. I've never owned one before, and want something reliable. I was sort of looking at a Suzuki GZ250, but considering I know nothing about bikes, wanted an opinion. Pls don't make fun of me for looking at a 250cc bike, lol.

Forgot to mention that I like the classic look of the GZ250. I don't think a crotchrocket would be good for me.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking at getting my first bike soon. I've been eyeing the Suzuki SV650S for its good ride, great handling, and performance.

Last edited:

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Start with 500cc and above. You MUST respect the power that a bike has, and how inherently dangerous riding one is. Don't **** around until you have been riding for years, or you will end up a long red line, end rant. Bikes are great fun and I'm sure you will love yours. Dim

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sorry I forgot your question. My first bike was a great first bike, but I was 16, so a Yamaha 2 stroke 350RD might not be as good of a choice for you. It is super torquey do to the two-stroke action, however it sucks on the highway as it is notchy at high speeds.

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Im sorry but you do not need a 250cc bike they are wayyyyy to small. How tall r u and how much you weight??? It was horribe when i had to ride a 250 to get the Driver Saftey Course Cert. (I advise you to take the class) Atleast start at a 500cc like a used Kawi 500. Im getting my first bike soon too. Gonna be a Yama FZ6. Its compareable to the SV650S (my bro has one) but more comfy! Erect sitting posture not a Crotch Rocketish same engine as the R6 but different cam timing ect so its not so tourqeish off the line. All around sweet bike. But sit on them all and make sure you find the one that fits you and not you fit it!

Attachments

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
SV650 is probably one of the best starter bikes around. it's not twitchy, has tons of power for a newb and generally handles very well.

I would HIGHLY recommned an SV650. have you ever driven anything like a quad or a dirtbike? granted they're night and day, but the shifting and just being on them do help, i don't care what anybody says.

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Yea off road bikes would help. I think street bikes are easier to ride because it eaiser getting into first. Dirtbikes are wound up so tight that you have to give them gas before you even start to move. Street bikes you can just let out the clutch a little and you slowly go foward then you can add some gas. Less problems with wheelies on SB

99sscamaroma

Awards
SV650 def for a starter bike. I got mine last year and love it. Plus, im 6'8 250 pounds and I fit so dont worry about being too big for the bike haha. If you go with too small a bike your going to want to upgrade after a few months so I would def say an SV65o is a great starting point. Dont forget to do a road course school. You get to learn how to ride on THEIR bikes, so no worries if you dump it or slide. Good luck!

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
250cc bike is a joke... they made me ride one when i got my motorcycle license.
I started wth a honda cbr600 (great bike but crotchrocket)

go with somethign that has at least 500-600 cc... anything less and your slower than a moped on the highway... bad place to be and REALLY BAD if yuo get cut off or something and you dont have the power to accelerate the hell out of there!!! believe me.. power comes in handy sometimes

EDIT:

suzuki sv650... great bike choice... id highly recommend

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Honestly it sounds like you would NOT like the SV650. It's a naked bike which is basically a sport bike without the fairings. Think barebones crotch rocket.

Anyway you want a CRUISER. You'll definitely want something 500cc or greater especially if you ever plan on going onto the highway. You might want to look at a 600cc or 650cc Honda Shadow. Yamaha VStar is another great bike.

Several things to keep in mind though:

1) Larger bikes statistically get into much fewer accidents; this is mostly because they are more noticeable other drivers. The biggest reason motorcycles get into more accidents than cars is simply because car drivers don't see motorcycles. They physically see them but don't recognize their presence; it has to do with the fact that most drivers are not expecting to see motorcycles and so their brain passively dismisses the motorcycle's presence as irrelevent.

2) If you weigh even CLOSE to 200, even a 650cc engine is going to get a little shaky past 70mph in a cruiser. Good news about cruisers though is you don't have to worry so much about starting from a stop or starting on hills because they are designed for low-end torque (which is why they don't get great top speeds).

3) Buy in the WINTER. Bike prices go up and down drastically with the seasons. Summer is bike season and so you'll end up paying bluebook value or more on a bike if you buy it in the summer. In the winter prices drop profoundly. i.e. you can usually get a $5000 for $1500 without too much problem.

4) Pay with cash. As I said before, bluebook means nothing especially in the winter. A lot of sellers are willing to knock off at least a few hundred if not a thousand from their price if you pay with cahs right then and there.

5) Buy a used bike. In general bike owners tend to take much better care of their vehicles than car owners do. Many older bikes still run in near perfect condition due to having been well taken care of.

6) When you grow out of your first bike, sell it in the summer. If you bought it in the winter and sell in the summer, not only will you likely AT LEAST break even (even after having put a ton of miles on it) you may even be able to MAKE money from the sale. Yes the price differences between seasons is that profound.

7) Don't skimp on safety gear. I'd personally recommend a fullface or modular helmet. Blood Buckets (half helmet) do nothing in a collision. 3/4 helmets won't protect your face from much of anything. Get a leather jacket and leather chaps or pants. Nothing protects like leather. Denim on the otherhand lasts approximately 6 seconds when sliding on pavement. Wearing leather can mean the difference between minor scrapes and burns to requiring massive skin grafts. You might even want to look into getting something with underarmor plates at the joints.

8) When you buy a helmet, don't buy used unless you can be assured it was never in an impact. Modern helmets are built for a single collision. Buying a used helmet with na unknown history is gambling with your life. Yes, helmets cost $100 and up, but its worth it.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
^^^ GREAT POST

also, my two cents: [size=+2]WEAR GLOVES[/size]

luckily i had them on when i went down... scrapping the skin off your hand would be one of the most painful things you can imagine

great post above me though

tattoopierced1

i agree with the gloves.. even though I dont wear a helmet, when I did go down, the gloves saved my hands from being ground beef.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
sorry I forgot your question. My first bike was a great first bike, but I was 16, so a Yamaha 2 stroke 350RD might not be as good of a choice for you. It is super torquey do to the two-stroke action, however it sucks on the highway as it is notchy at high speeds.
The RD350 and RD400 Yamahas are AWESOME.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
My 2 cents....

Start off buying a used bike and ride it for the first year or two.

Some people buy a motorcycle and find it's just not for them.

Sometimes, a newbie might forget that you need to put down a kickstand (seen it happen) You'll feel a little better dumping a used bike versus a brand new one.

If you can stay under 900cc your insurance will be cheaper.

Take a rider safety course, well worth it and most insurance companies give you a discount, the discount will pay for itself in the first payment usually.

Other than that, be safe and enjoy.

TravisCoSheriff

Awards
Agreed buy leather not the mesh ones. I rather sweat then bleed if you live in a hot temp.

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
I would also wear proper footwear...you go down with sneakers and those will fly off and leave your toes ground down to the bone. For regular riding i wear boots that go to or about the ankle and if your riding hard, get a pair of riding boots.