Stupid doctors

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A co-worker and good friend of mine is going to be out for the next 3 or 4 weeks because his mother is dieing of breast cancer. Her red blood cell count is down to near nothing from the chemo. I was disgusted to hear she is not on any kind of steroidal therapy. Anavar is non-aromatizing, increases red blood cell count, and reverses the wasting from chemotherapy. Heck Winstrol would work well too and probably faster. At this point, viralizing effects are a non-concern. But they don't have her on anything to help. WTF don't they have her on it?!

I'll tell you why. Because of the stigma associated with anabolic steroids these days, and the doctors' fears that they will be prosecuted for prescribed a steroid for something it is not indicated for.

How many people have to die before they repeal the Anabolic Steroid Control Act?!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
True, true. I guess it will take as many people that die from smoking cigarettes every year for them to legalize steroids (nearly half a million BTW). :rolleyes:

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
I'll tell you why. Because of the stigma associated with anabolic steroids these days, and the doctors' fears that they will be prosecuted for prescribed a steroid for something it is not indicated for.
Ding!

Dont blame the doctors. The legal system nowadays with all these great lawsuits (granted, some of these doc's arent legit and should be persecuted) really lingers in the backs of drs' minds.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I told my friend to strenuously recommend Oxandrolone (Anavar) and to ask why they haven't prescribed it.

I know Oxymetholone is the one that really increases blood count, but seeing as how she has breast cancer, I don't think a major estrogen agonist is a good idea.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Well my wise old doctor told me to stay away from "that damned andro ****" because it would not only make my "nuts shrivel up" but also it would definitely give me prostate cancer. He's a doctor and thus could not possibly be wrong. lol

Yeah, I'd push to get her on something to make her more comfortable and give her some energy back.

I'm also shocked at how seldom simple, cheap and effective things like B12 injections are used for people who are weak and ailing. That alone would boost her hemoglobin status and facilitate some o2 transport..so why not?

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
A co-worker and good friend of mine is going to be out for the next 3 or 4 weeks because his mother is dieing of breast cancer. Her red blood cell count is down to near nothing from the chemo. I was disgusted to hear she is not on any kind of steroidal therapy. Anavar is non-aromatizing, increases red blood cell count, and reverses the wasting from chemotherapy. Heck Winstrol would work well too and probably faster. At this point, viralizing effects are a non-concern. But they don't have her on anything to help. WTF don't they have her on it?!

How many people have to die before they repeal the Anabolic Steroid Control Act?!
Sorry to hear.......and good luck:)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Man that sucks, cancer is no joking matter and if anavar can help her than a doctor shouldn't worry about prescribing it because doctors are supposed to work for the patients.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I thought chemo made your white blood cell level go down.

I didn't realize it also makes your red blood cell count go down.

CROWLER

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Man that sucks, cancer is no joking matter and if anavar can help her than a doctor shouldn't worry about prescribing it because doctors are supposed to work for the patients.
Sometimes you have to beg and plead for them to add an appetite stimulant. Some of them are to busy knowing everything to see the reality of the living conditions some cancer patients must endure. I am going to start recommending anabolic steroids for cancer patients and see what the doctors do. I have not rec'd them yet due to the taboo but wtf? I am already imagining my pager going off or hearing my name on the overhead PA system in response to the rec.

Guido

Awards
First of all, she's probably on ProCrit. Second, yes, oncologists do prescribe anavar to their patients, and there is a stigma in the medical community surrounding it, which is rubbish. But just be careful to mudsling at physicians. They work harder and go through more schooling that you can ever imagine. They sacrifice their personal lives for their profession, only for people like you to blame them for their diseases. I understand your concern and frustration with your friend's mother's illness, and its completely natural to blame the doctor, but just take it easy. And I'm sorry for your co-worker's situation.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know they are doing a good job, but there IS a risk associated with prescribing steroids in this political climate that many doctors do not wish to chance. Yes she should be on EPO (not sure if she is, but judging from the fact that she has SEVERE aenemic symptoms, she might not be), but EPO does nothing to combat the muscle wasting.

I know I say I blaim the doctors, but really the blaim falls on two places:

Congress and the Media.

The media for spreading bullshit about steroids, and Congress for acting on that bullshit and making them illegal.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Well I would think that if the Doctor or Doctors were compitant enough they would do what was best for the patient despite the stigma surrounding steroids. I think the risk of dying of cancer would be the worst of all. Who knows though.

Guido

Awards
You guys are right on all accounts. Media and congress can suck a fat dick. And the anavar is to prevent muscle wasting, but will do nothing for her cancer. If she's end stage, there's nothing to gain from having her add 5 lbs to her frame. It's a sad state of affairs, but most of all for the family involved.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Update:

The cancer has now spread to her brain. Likely she has only 1 or 2 weeks left.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Update.

My friend came back from visiting his mother and said that he suggested Anavar and mentioned Anadrol as well. Because the breast cancer was no longer the main concern, they put her on Anadrol. Within several days she was able to walk on her own again.

Unfortunately however becuase the cancer had spread so thoroughly to her brain, she died last night. My friend was back at work for a week but now he is going back to go to the funeral.

I can't help but think that if she had been on the steroids for longer she could have at least been more mobil and enjoyed more of the last remaining weeks of her life. He did say when he returned that she was in very good spirits since going on the steroids.

Btw, the doctors only had her on Procrit as far as treating her chemo-induced aenemia was concerned.

davisville64

Awards
My moms best friend has muscular distrophy. Would IGF-1 help her?

davisville64

Awards
Update.

My friend came back from visiting his mother and said that he suggested Anavar and mentioned Anadrol as well. Because the breast cancer was no longer the main concern, they put her on Anadrol. Within several days she was able to walk on her own again.

Wow. If only people didnt associate steroids with huge freaks and death, we could save lives.

PS- I'm gonna write my senator Jack Reed on this one. I cant wait to see what his response will be, if he responds at all.