Blood testing - Informed answers requested

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
THIS IS A LONG POST BUT CONCISE OF THOUGHT AND I'D APPRECIATE SOME HELP --

I have done direct access blood testing before, so I know what tests are available, what they typically cost, and how the process of having these ordered and done works.

When I did the blood tests before, I actually (for once) had plenty of money. So I practically bought everything that applied. Now, I'm in between cycles and will be using some Trimax in my next stack, and I'd like to get some blood work done. However, this time around, money is tight (yeah I know, cry me a river). Anyway, I wanted to see if some of you lab rats could help me understand what is important to get v. what I might can do without.

Here are the basics of what I'm considering:

Thyroid testing
Hormone level testing
Liver function testing
Cholesterol/lipid testing

The last two listed are pretty straighforward and also the two least expensive, so I've got no questions there.

When it comes to thyroid testing, I basically want to know if my present thyroid function is within normal parameters and therefore I can feel good about going into a cycle using Trimax. This will also help me have a baseline to check my thyroid again later to make sure things get back to normal.

You can do thyroid testing in three ways (probably more, but here's three):

1) Get TSH checked
2) Get T4, T3 Uptake, FTI (T7) checked
3) 1 & 2 combined

Just for reference, option 3 will cost about $50 while option 2 alone will cost about half that.

What do I need in order to be able to truly assess if my present function is normal, etc?

The hormone testing is by far the most expensive. When it comes to testosterone levels you can:

1) Get test levels checked (total/serum)
2) Get total and free levels
3) Get total and free levels along with LH and FSH

Last time, I did option 3. This cost just under $130. Just getting the total/serum level is just under $50.

I believe that I'd like to know total and free... at least... BUT for the sake of knowing if I am well-recovered from my last cycle and all is well, could I get by with just total? How important is it to get the LH and FSH test results too?

Lastly, in conjuction with the testosterone testing, I will likely also get a reading on my estradiol level. Is this important at this stage do you think? If I get the total testosterone results only and the estradiol, then I basically have a top-level view of the big numbers, but without free test and/or more info is it really worthwhile?

Ok, that's it. A long post I know, but besides helping me you'll likely be helping educate a lot of people on the subject. I love to see certain people respond whom I know have solid knowledge in this department... but any informed, accurate comments/answers are appreciated.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
A TSH test is cheaper snapshot of your thyroid function. If you have absolutely no thyroid related symptoms, either hypothyoidism or hyperthyroidism, you could pass on getting T3 and T4 checked and just see what TSH is doing. It's not all that much more to do the t3/t4 analysis and it basically helps rule out more subtle thyroid and pituatary dysfunctions.

I'm waiting on my thyroid panel as we speak.

LH,FSH and DHT tend to be pricey panels. Serum test/free test will give you an indication of whether you are producing test at a "recovered" capacity and this "usually" means LH and FSH are doing ok as well. Generally, if your test levels have risen back to a recovered/normal status then that means that estradiol numbers will be dropping if they were high, FSH/LH rose back to normal in order to signal test production et cetera...so yes, you could get away with total test only as long as you're feeling fine, not having gyno symptoms et cetera.

That's a subjective call as it's weighing your needs against your cash flow.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
My thoughts after having 2 tests are mostly around the hormones.

I would go with total only, the cost is pretty darn prohibitive for free. And, you may end up getting the number reported in different units, which can be difficult to track down (as was my case). So, I'd say just go with total.

As far as estradiol, I did that for my 2nd test, but not 1st. So, I didn't really have a baseline to compare, which made the result sort of useless. So, it might be good to get estradiol solely for baseline values (if you've never had it), otherwise I don't know that it's that useful relative to cost.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
That's a subjective call as it's weighing your needs against your cash flow.
Yeah, it really boils down to this. I'll just have to make up a combo of tests that will give me the most important info.

I was just hoping someone might have a different take that would help me 'consolidate' my thinking. Which you guys did -- thanks for being a sounding board.

In the end, if I feel I need any certain test for its info purposes, then I'll have to just pay for it and get it...

Ah well... let me get out the credit card... LOL