Gym Franchises: Which one would you own?

Phoenix rising

Awards
I was wondering if you had your pick of owning a Gold's, Power House, or World Gym franchise which one would you choose and why?

DavidJ21

Awards
Gold's of course, but i'd change them to open 24 hours.

Phoenix rising

Awards
Ok guys I wanted more than just a one liner. :) If you were going to open one of these 3 gym franchises, why would you pick one over another?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Personally, for me it would be a business venture, so I'd have to go with something that has good name recognition like golds, 24hr, etc....(and I hate 24hrs usually)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Well based on my personal opinion I would go with Powerhouse. I used to work out at a Gold's/World Gym and it was complete ****. It was under bad ownership, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Based on a business standpoint, I would probably go with a 24 hour fitness or a Bally's. Though those gym's are not built for us hardcore folk, we are the minority. More money is to be made at those sissy gyms.

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
Between those 3 I would pick Powerhouse. I used to work out at a Powerhouse in Hoboken but that went out of business for some reason, but it was an awesome place.

Working out at a World Gym now and I love it, so I'd go with that.

Didn't even know that Powerhouse was around anymore.

BP

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
Lifetime Fitness would be the way to go because they are inevitably trying to buy the rest out. These things are INSANELY massive.

Vegas has some bad ass Golds as well that would be my picks. Here in Dallas though, it will be all about Lifetime....

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
gold's. used to work at worlds and didnt think much of it. also shut down. I like the gold's franchise
Sage

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I have been a Worlds gym member off and on for about eight years between a year here and in CO and six in Columbus, OH. The difference between the gyms of these two cities is night and day. The ones I visited in Columbus were perfect, especially the north one. The ones here in CO Springs are doing the whole "changing the image thing" and have a sales staff. I hate gyms with a sales staff. The worlds at home had no sales staff and the atmosphere at any given gym was perfect for any person. I have worked at Ballys and absolutely hate that organization and all of their gyms in Cincinnati and Columbus. I have worked at the Worlds here and it is under terrible ownership as well. All these folks think about is $$$$. I used to think Worlds had the same image and legacy to uphold as Golds, seeing how it is a Golds offspring, but these folks out here couldnt even tell you who Ronnie Coleman is.

So, I'd like to put a Worlds franchise out here and do it up right.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Ok.....Sorry i should have added...Powerhouse and why.......i used to work there a long time ago, and still do teaching spin classes...you have your hard core lifters and yet it trys to make it friendly for women who normally would not be comfortable going to a powerhouse.......

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I would pick the hardcore gyms like Gold's because we are the target audience and we are the ones who will work out until we die which means you have reliable customers. I've been working out at a Bally's for 6 years and there are maybe a dozen faces that I recognize which means many people are not staying long term.

deech

Board Supporter
Awards
none - I would start a new chain that was more focused on results and discriminating information. While we're on the topic, I drove to my gym on Monday at lunch (I go every M, W, F) and as I walked up it was closed with a couple of employees sitting out front (this is the 24-hr in Hollywood). There was a big sign stating that they were renting the place out for a movie shoot.

I was absolutely LIVID - I'm in the middle of an HST cycle and this screwed me up. There's a Golds about a couple of miles away, so I drove there to check it out and spoke with the salespeople, but didn't get time to workout. It was pretty nice and definitely more free weights (but no power cages for some reason), but would have been twice as expensive. I decided it would be irresponsible to make a decision like that while I was pissed off, so I decided to wait.

I went back to the office and fired off an email to 24-hour Fitness customer service stating that I thought it was rude of them to chase location fee dollars while people like me pay monthly dues with the expectation of the facilities being available when we need them.

I haven't heard back from them. I even gave them my member number.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
none - I would start a new chain that was more focused on results and discriminating information. While we're on the topic, I drove to my gym on Monday at lunch (I go every M, W, F) and as I walked up it was closed with a couple of employees sitting out front (this is the 24-hr in Hollywood). There was a big sign stating that they were renting the place out for a movie shoot.

I was absolutely LIVID - I'm in the middle of an HST cycle and this screwed me up. There's a Golds about a couple of miles away, so I drove there to check it out and spoke with the salespeople, but didn't get time to workout. It was pretty nice and definitely more free weights (but no power cages for some reason), but would have been twice as expensive. I decided it would be irresponsible to make a decision like that while I was pissed off, so I decided to wait.

I went back to the office and fired off an email to 24-hour Fitness customer service stating that I thought it was rude of them to chase location fee dollars while people like me pay monthly dues with the expectation of the facilities being available when we need them.

I haven't heard back from them. I even gave them my member number.
That's Hollywood for you. BTW, it seems this post belongs in the "Pussiest Gyms" thread.

TXRAIDER

Awards
24 hour fitness doesn't franchise. I don't belive Bally's does either. However, out of Powerhouse, Golds, or World Gym, you could go with any of them and you'd be fine. I've worked out at all in different locations throughout the U.S. and no two are alike. Your clientele is usually determined by the demographics of the area you are in, not the name of the gym. I've even seen franchise gyms, bought out by independent owners, that change the name and the clientele doesn't change. Personally, I think opening your own independent gym is the way to go. However, if you have no experience at all with gyms and running a gym (or a business for that matter) I would definitely go with a franchise at first, because they can offer support and training. Once your franchise agreement ends, you can always choose to go independent. If you choose the franchise route, check out all 3 (Power, Golds and World) to see which you feel most comfortable with and go with them.

blondebombshell

Awards
Neither 24 Hour or Bally's franchise. What you could do is startup your own gym, build your membership, then sell it to one of them. Bally's is publicly traded, 24 Hour is privately owned. Bally's is being investigated for questionable accounting practices. Who knows about 24 Hour since they're privately owned and don't have to open their books to the public.