independent testing

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Is there a private lab which would do testing of supplements reasonably cheap?

A friend of mine was recently in the hospital due to a virus which caused fluid to form around his heart. Of course they performed bloodwork while he was there and found barbituates in his system. In no way does he take any drugs. But he takes various supplements. So he wants to get some testing done to see where the source came from.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Is there a private lab which would do testing of supplements reasonably cheap?

A friend of mine was recently in the hospital due to a virus which caused fluid to form around his heart. Of course they performed bloodwork while he was there and found barbituates in his system. In no way does he take any drugs. But he takes various supplements. So he wants to get some testing done to see where the source came from.
Damn that sucks! Mind letting people know what he was taking and from where?

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Damn that sucks! Mind letting people know what he was taking and from where?
That probably wouldn't be fair.. It would just lead to speculation, and potentially sore feelings, and lost busniess...

If he ever finds out that it was indeed a perticular suppliment.. then by all means.. fry them. :)

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
That probably wouldn't be fair.. It would just lead to speculation, and potentially sore feelings, and lost busniess...

If he ever finds out that it was indeed a perticular suppliment.. then by all means.. fry them. :)

I agree with you on this. I don't want to spark any unecessary gossip. I would rather find out, and then contact the manufacturer. He is using credible products so I'm very surprised. When I find a reasonable lab, and find anything out.....I will be sure to let people know AFTER I let the company look into it. I just don't see how there could be a mix up like this, so I'm going to have him write a list of EVERYTHING that he has eaten and taken. Then start whittling down the list. But I don't want to spend a fortune on this....who knows....maybe it's in bottled water :blink:

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Email Mike at 1fast, I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Lots of supps will give you funny tests. So, its gonna be damn hard to figure out, bud.

Remember recently there was a thread here at AM.com where one of our members (don't remember who?? :think: ) took a test for a job and failed and it said there was coke in his system when he'd never touched the stuff? <-- yeah, lame...but **** happens.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Lots of supps will give you funny tests. So, its gonna be damn hard to figure out, bud.

Remember recently there was a thread here at AM.com where one of our members (don't remember who?? :think: ) took a test for a job and failed and it said there was coke in his system when he'd never touched the stuff? <-- yeah, lame...but **** happens.

Good point. But barituates? I'm no chemical genius, and I hope that DR.D or someone with some knowledge will chime in, but wouldn't that be a relatively select group of drugs? They were taking blood from him several times per day and all of the tests showed it.

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well, below is a PARTIAL list of what can cause a positive barbituate level in blood testing.

Prescription medications that contain barbiturates:
Phenobarbital Pentobarbital Secobarbital
Acrolase Plus® Nembutal Sodium Seconal Sodium
Bellergal-S ® Donnatal® Kenesed® Luminal Muldrane GC®
Quadrinal Rexatal® Solfoton
Fiorinal®, Donnatol®;some sleeping pills, antiasthmatic, preparations that contain phenobarbital, Dilantin®

BENZODIAZEPINES
Prescription medications that contain benzodiaepines:
Diazepam Oxazepam Clonazepam Triazolam Valium® Serax® Klonopin® Halcion® Valrelease® Sernid® Rivitril®
Flurazepam: Lorazepam Lorprazolam Chlordiazpoxide Dalmane® Ativan® Dormonocet® Libritab® Flurazepam Lorazepam Librium Limbitrol

LYSERIC ACID DIETHYLAND
Migraine medications: ergotamine, Ergostat®, Cafergot®, Wigraine®, Imitrex Hydergine®, bromocriptone, methysergiside, lisuride, lysergol, Artane®, triprolidine, amitriptyline, (Elavil)®, dicyclomine (Bentyl)®; Antinausea medications that contain promethazine: Phenergan®, Promethagan®.
Reference
Department of Health & Human Services From Drug Testing Service
Substance Abuse And Mental Health Division Of Workplace Program