Alcohol

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone here had huge alcohol problems in the past but are now better? I have a problem with alcohol and I need to stop.

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone here had huge alcohol problems in the past but are now better? I have a problem with alcohol and I need to stop.
Not alcohol problems, but meth problems.. was addicted for about 5 years.. been clean about 20months now. I'm no expert on addiction or drinking, but cognitive behavioral therapy style recovery programs helped me the most. That and finally going to treatment in a place that allowed me to become more integrated back into the community as well as supportive housing after treatment.. got a job and made myself find something social I used to like to do like playing magic the gathering or dnd with nerd friends one day a week.. also hitting the gym with consistency.. once you rebuild a new structure in your daily life it gets easier and easier.. also being around people who don't do what you are trying to stop doing kinda rubs off on you.. I know with drinking there are some medications you could consider taking like antabuse or campral.. they say antabuse is dangerous because it makes you fairly sick when you drink while on it, but in most cases it's not life threatening and honestly it's the closest thing to how the principles of behavior modification outline to reduce the frequency of a given behavior because the consequence immediately follows the behavior you want to change.. the other option is to continue until you lose everything and wake up in a jail.. typically that's the same idea, but is much worse than just getting ill as a consequence.. both are in ways an aversion type conditioning..

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What kind of problem? Drinking too often, during the day, at work, etc? Or more like binge drinking?

New2this40

New2this40

Awards
Much advice. Very wow. What is your next gem? If you want to bench press 500 pounds just lift more?
Really though, just have to quit you’ll go through heavy ass withdrawals but it’s about the only way to kick an addiction. Just take it out all at once because when you get to the “just one more” stage there will always be just one more. I’ve been through it and it sucks but it was the only way I could quit.

PT Outlaw

Awards
I had a problem with alcohol as well as pain pills, Xanax, and coke.

I didn’t see it as a problem ever. I got to a point in my life where I wanted a change. I was finally woken. I realized how I was destroying everything. I fought and fought my self to give everything up. I had times I stopped then I would get a craving and do it again. Or have an excuse why I needed to numb myself. Enough was enough. My way was just telling myself it’s all in my head and I don’t need anything.

I dealt with bad withdrawals to the point where I felt like giving up. I couldn’t give up though. I needed to do this for my family(wife and kids)

It’s now been over 5 years being clean. Wish I would have done it sooner.

It is hard but you can do it. Believe in yourself and find all the best things in your life to give you more reasons to do it. Last thing you want to do is wait till it’s too late.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really though, just have to quit you’ll go through heavy ass withdrawals but it’s about the only way to kick an addiction. Just take it out all at once because when you get to the “just one more” stage there will always be just one more. I’ve been through it and it sucks but it was the only way I could quit.
Yes, you do have to “just do it,” but there’s a reason why things like AA work so well for a lot of people; having some form of community of people who have going through the same thing can help, as can having some, any, plan to evaluate your life and try to address the root causes and triggers and how to eliminate, reduce, and/or avoid them in the future. Yes, you have to “just do it,” but sometimes it’s wise to just do it with some help and a gameplan. Not everyone can just decide “I’m going to quit, all on my own, no help.” If you did, good for you, but not everyone can.

Also, as I’ve explained, it’s just such silly advice. Why not give suggestions as to how to do it? Saying just do it is the same thing as you telling me you want to become a Pro bodybuilder and me telling you just do it, and then strutting around like I actually have you legitimate advice instead of just useless drivel.

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Thank you guys all so much for all the responses. l am glad I can have people to support me. Bought some kudzu root and took it for the first time today. Will continue to take everyday for possibly forever as long as it can aid in my quitting alcohol. I know it will take time and a lot of mental strength but I will do it. I have no choice. Otherwise it will be to late. Thank you all again.

Karlrobert

Awards
Longtime alcoholic- 3 yrs clean now. Please go see a doctor and tell them the truth. Depending on the severity of your alcoholism quitting can be very dangerous medically to do on your own. No shame involved. If you are sick- go to the doctor. Be well. You are not alone and you can stop with help

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Kudzu is what antabuse comes from if I'm not mistaken

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Asking for help is the best first step for any addiction. I was a smoker a few years back and I've lost count really but it was terrible. I asked for help, and got quite a bit of it in the way of suggestions. I'm not sure how it translates to drinking really, if at all.

I do know it was a ritualistic and triggered effect, so coping mechanisms were involved along with the physical and timing of the ritual.

I believe breaking an addiction that is psychological and physiological require a few angles of attack. I didn't want drugs like Chantix because they scared me. (Sides) I told myself the stink and all the negatives that go with smoking were robbing me of some great and meaningful moments.

- Emotional Support
- Talk Therapy
- Some kind of replacement therapy
- Maybe even chemical substitution (I used vaping, which was my gateway to just quitting)

I'm not being glib or pretending to be scientific, as this is off the top of my head.
I do know AA is important for anyone struggling with alcohol.

I hope my words help a little.
I don't think of smoking, and when stressed that usually triggered the desire, now I just enlist a coping mechanism. It's automatic.

-M

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Bah chantix sides aren't even half what people want you to think they are.. I get vivid weird dreams from it and that's it.. with the root he picked up, or antabuse it works more like aversion therapy..

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
You guys are the best! Yes I will take 1.5 grams of kudzu root per day!

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Nice dude. I used to hang out with my cousins every weekend. From 18-23 I would get hammered every weekend. Sometimes multiple times a week. I am now 24 soon 25 this October. Unfortunately some of those bad habits of years of alcohol abuse stuck with me. Really trying to get rid of it once and for all.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
4 years sober. Alcohol and fitness don't mix. I say fuk alcohol. Get some kratom or something if you wanna have some fun/relax/be sociable

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
4 years sober. Alcohol and fitness don't mix. I say fuk alcohol. Get some kratom or something if you wanna have some fun/relax/be sociable
I don't know if I'd recommend kratom right off the bat for someone that appears to have issues with addiction. Sure, it's likely preferable to alcohol, but for someone trying to get clean, I'd stay away from everything for now, and figure out what to try later, you know?

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if I'd recommend kratom right off the bat for someone that appears to have issues with addiction. Sure, it's likely preferable to alcohol, but for someone trying to get clean, I'd stay away from everything for now, and figure out what to try later, you know?
No Kratom is proven to HELP with addiction. It helped me get off alcohol. People use it to get off other stuff, it's not addicting.

I would absolutely recommend it.

I have been taking it for years, not one side effect.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Try Kratom brother it will help.

I was a total drunk(liquor everyday) for years. DUIS, jail, family issues. AA meetings. I know ALL about alcohol and it's abuse.

First step really is putting the bottle down.

Try marijuana or Kratom.

I highly recommend Kratom, no side effects. It actually aids in digestion and has a host of other health benefits

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Not alcohol problems, but meth problems.. was addicted for about 5 years.. been clean about 20months now. I'm no expert on addiction or drinking, but cognitive behavioral therapy style recovery programs helped me the most. That and finally going to treatment in a place that allowed me to become more integrated back into the community as well as supportive housing after treatment.. got a job and made myself find something social I used to like to do like playing magic the gathering or dnd with nerd friends one day a week.. also hitting the gym with consistency.. once you rebuild a new structure in your daily life it gets easier and easier.. also being around people who don't do what you are trying to stop doing kinda rubs off on you.. I know with drinking there are some medications you could consider taking like antabuse or campral.. they say antabuse is dangerous because it makes you fairly sick when you drink while on it, but in most cases it's not life threatening and honestly it's the closest thing to how the principles of behavior modification outline to reduce the frequency of a given behavior because the consequence immediately follows the behavior you want to change.. the other option is to continue until you lose everything and wake up in a jail.. typically that's the same idea, but is much worse than just getting ill as a consequence.. both are in ways an aversion type conditioning..
I have continued until I lost everything.

I know the ins and outs of addiction. It runs in my family so it really is a struggle to stay clean.

Alcohol, benzos, weed, pills, cocaine, speed you name it.

Getting sober really is UP TO YOU.

Even if your around sober people(which I found out in AA is a lie, half of them are still drinking/drugging) it is ultimately UP TO YOU.
You have to get to a point where enough is enough.

It's not up to others, it's up to you. I stopped because I was ruining my life and health. I chose to stop after hitting rock bottom.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
That's pretty much the dumbest over simplification of a seriously difficult challenge for someone ever.. please gtfo if you don't want to help.. dude reached out.. respect him for that..
It actually is that simple. Just stop.

I did it. You shouldn't need someone else to tell you to stop. It's called will power. Sure you can ask for help, but it's ultimately up to you.

I quit cold turkey. It's all in the mind.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
EXACTLY.

IT is as simple as just stopping.
Man up, go through withdrawals, and live a better life.

The time frame of withdrawals is tiny compared to how much damage your doing.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Yes, you do have to “just do it,” but there’s a reason why things like AA work so well for a lot of people; having some form of community of people who have going through the same thing can help, as can having some, any, plan to evaluate your life and try to address the root causes and triggers and how to eliminate, reduce, and/or avoid them in the future. Yes, you have to “just do it,” but sometimes it’s wise to just do it with some help and a gameplan. Not everyone can just decide “I’m going to quit, all on my own, no help.” If you did, good for you, but not everyone can.

Also, as I’ve explained, it’s just such silly advice. Why not give suggestions as to how to do it? Saying just do it is the same thing as you telling me you want to become a Pro bodybuilder and me telling you just do it, and then strutting around like I actually have you legitimate advice instead of just useless drivel.
Have you ever been to AA? I did for 2 years. Half if not more people there are still drinking and on drugs. I would literally see guys show up high as a kite.

It is up to the individual. Plain and simple.

AA did nothing to help me. I did it myself. It's called will power

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Thank you guys all so much for all the responses. l am glad I can have people to support me. Bought some kudzu root and took it for the first time today. Will continue to take everyday for possibly forever as long as it can aid in my quitting alcohol. I know it will take time and a lot of mental strength but I will do it. I have no choice. Otherwise it will be to late. Thank you all again.
Kratom will help.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Check in to a detox to get off the alcohol safely. Afterwards find AA meetings in your area. Get connected and the rest will follow. I was an addict/alcoholic for 15 years I am recently 6 years sober. It works

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Check in to a detox to get off the alcohol safely. Afterwards find AA meetings in your area. Get connected and the rest will follow. I was an addict/alcoholic for 15 years I am recently 6 years sober. It works
AA is not very helping. All they do is talk about using drugs. It actually gets into the back of your head and makes you crave them more

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
No Kratom is proven to HELP with addiction. It helped me get off alcohol. People use it to get off other stuff, it's not addicting.

Bs dude i took kratom to get off opiates and was hooked worse on that sh1t than anything else and the withdrawals were just as bad if not worse than opiates. The withdrawals lasted a month and i didnt sleep AT ALL for 2 weeks

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
OP do not take kratom. It was worse for me than opiates. It got to the point for me that i would take it before bed so the withdrawals didnt kick in in the middle of the night and i would still wake up in the middle of the night going through withdrawals and need to take more. That sh1t is bad. Some people can take it moderately and not get hooked. But if you're having problems with drinking i wouldnt risk it bc most likely you wont be one of the people that can take it moderately. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP do not take kratom. It was worse for me than opiates. It got to the point for me that i would take it before bed so the withdrawals didnt kick in in the middle of the night and i would still wake up in the middle of the night going through withdrawals and need to take more. That sh1t is bad. Some people can take it moderately and not get hooked. But if you're having problems with drinking i wouldnt risk it bc most likely you wont be one of the people that can take it moderately. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.
This nonsense bro.... Ive withdrawn from heroin, oxycotin, methadone,and kratom. Kratom wds dont touch it. 160 mg/day Methadone was the worse never ending. If you are using the plain leaf and not a synthesized chemical there's no way the detox was worse.

Not saying you can't withdraw from it but going around telling people it's evil don't do it is nonsense. That's for you not for everyone else. You couldn't do it.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
This nonsense bro.... Ive withdrawn from heroin, oxycotin, methadone,and kratom. Kratom wds dont touch it. 160 mg/day Methadone was the worse never ending. If you are using the plain leaf and not a synthesized chemical there's no way the detox was worse.

Not saying you can't withdraw from it but going around telling people it's evil don't do it is nonsense. That's for you not for everyone else. You couldn't do it.
Ive withdrawn from all that too and im telling you for me it was just as bad if jot worse. Im sharing my experience so someone else doesnt go through it. Just because its not that bad for you doesnt mean someone else wont have the same experience as me. Dont just tell me im talking bullsh1t bc you havent experienced it. Im trying to help here

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established

Im just trying to keep someone else from maybe experiencing the same as me cause it ruined my life for fcking years. Sorry im so passionate about it bc it made my life living hell. You had your experie ce. I had mine. Who knows what his would be but now he knows the possibilities

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established

And im getting real sick and tired of people telling me its "nonsense" or "not possible" on here every time i tell my story in hopes of helping someone else avoid it. I was hooked on heroin and any other opiate i could get my hands (which is all of them) for ten years so i know what the withdrawals are like for all them. So for anyone who doesnt want to believe me, fck all y'all. Dont ever say i didnt put it out there though. Fck

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Not interested in taking any drugs really. Been taking kudzu root everyday for almost a week. Almost a week without alcohol! Wish me luck :)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It may not be easy, but it will be worthwhile.

A good thing to have in your arsenal is someone, best a strong male figure, who you can tell the truth to and who cares enough about your relationship that he is willing to tell you what you need to hear, rather than what you want to hear. In fact, he probably has to be willing to lose the relationship, as a result of telling you things that you don't want to hear.

Those types of friends can be rare, especially if many of your peers have similar habits to yours (e.g., drinking). People usually hang out with people of similar interest so it can be hard to find a buddy that not only does not tell you no, but he justifies why just having one won't hurt.

As to the extent to which you should substitute one thing for another, it seems like you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. If so, there is some merit to developing coping skills to deal with this without building a reliance on something else. That, to me, seems ideal - but we also know that things are not always ideal or that ideal may be the long term goal, but it may require some short term bridges.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And im getting real sick and tired of people telling me its "nonsense" or "not possible" on here every time i tell my story in hopes of helping someone else avoid it. I was hooked on heroin and any other opiate i could get my hands (which is all of them) for ten years so i know what the withdrawals are like for all them. So for anyone who doesnt want to believe me, fck all y'all. Dont ever say i didnt put it out there though. Fck
Okay that's your experience that's not normal bro. If he's trying to come off alcohol I would not recommend substituting kratom. However I think your situation and what you went through and what you tell everybody else because of the extreme that you took it to of does not apply to a majority of people who will take it. Saying kratom is worse than opiates is an opinion and def not gospel.

I was a bit sharp in my Approach with you man I apologize for that. My advice to you is to consider that your an exception not the norm and to approach it that way when you tell other people instead of saying it to them like that's what will happen to them if they do it.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not interested in taking any drugs really. Been taking kudzu root everyday for almost a week. Almost a week without alcohol! Wish me luck :)
Good for you man... In my experience it doesnt matter what the substance is bondage is bondage and being free from it feels so much better. Good luck brother

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Thank you man. That's exactly how I feel. Appreciate the encouragement!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Okay that's your experience that's not normal bro. If he's trying to come off alcohol I would not recommend substituting kratom. However I think your situation and what you went through and what you tell everybody else because of the extreme that you took it to of does not apply to a majority of people who will take it. Saying kratom is worse than opiates is an opinion and def not gospel.

I was a bit sharp in my Approach with you man I apologize for that. My advice to you is to consider that your an exception not the norm and to approach it that way when you tell other people instead of saying it to them like that's what will happen to them if they do it.
Thanks for the apology. I appreciate that. I never said it was gospel. And i understand that some people can do it and have no issues but im not gonna stay quiet about how it treated me bc of that. I know that its not normal how it treated me but im not the first nor will i be the last. But it was someone telling me about it exactly how Bintherduntht was talking about it that got me to try it and it was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. I know other people like it and thats up to them but i dont care what anyone says im going to tell people my experience when i see other suggesting it for stuff like this bc who knows that person could end up exactly like me. I know if it wasnt for my wife and kids i probably wouldve just killed myself instead of keep trying bc i didnt have any hope. Thats why i approach it the way i do. If it offends anyone, oh well. K ive said enough. Back to your scheduled programming

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also as someone who was an Air Force vet, athlete, and always in good health... Despite my partying in 20s and early 30s... (edit) I was dependent on them for sleep, bakc pain relief... not chasing a euphoria as I used to. Going cold-turkey is not always advisable, as benzos/opiates and stronger downers can lead to grand-mal seizure...
As had happened to me, waking up in the ER four weeks ago. While will power is required, cold turkey may not be best depending on what you were on.

And has someone who has tried everything under the sun, I do not recommend kratom or marijuana as substitute addiction or dependency.

Work with a neurologist, a chemical dependency specialist. Kasier put me on Gabapentin (GABA analog, does not accumulate in body) fixed my sleep, killed my desire for benzos to sleep.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

It's asinine to say that kratom does not have addictive potential. It CAN help people kick some addictions, but that doesn't mean it isn't addictive itself, although it is often LESS addicting than the drugs that people are using it to get off of. I can show you a PLETHORA of studies showing that kratom does indeed have an addicitve potential, and even the respectable people who sell it here on AM (sponsors) will tell you it has this potential and should be used with caution, if at all, by people with a history of addiction. To suggest otherwise, that it has no addictive potential, is irresponsible and incorrect.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you ever been to AA? I did for 2 years. Half if not more people there are still drinking and on drugs. I would literally see guys show up high as a kite.

It is up to the individual. Plain and simple.

AA did nothing to help me. I did it myself. It's called will power
Yes, it's up to the individual, and AA doesn't assure anything, or work for everyone. I'm only saying that it CAN help SOME PEOPLE, as having more resources and access to some people who actually have managed to stay clean for decades can help some people. It didn't work for you, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. Same with your asinine comments about kratom; it is 100% addicting for some people. Your anecdote doesn't speak for all people or make the definitive rule man.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Either extreme is incorrect. I wouldn't suggest that kratom has no addictive potential (as binthere did), or that it has the most extreme addictive potential. Reality likely lies somewhere in the middle, and of course people's individual responses will vary, but we can say with certainty that kratom DOES have an addictive potential, and therefore should be used cautiously, if at all, by someone with a history of addiction.

It's not an evil monster, but it's also not entirely benign for everyone all the time.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Either extreme is incorrect. I wouldn't suggest that kratom has no addictive potential (as binthere did), or that it has the most extreme addictive potential. Reality likely lies somewhere in the middle, and of course people's individual responses will vary, but we can say with certainty that kratom DOES have an addictive potential, and therefore should be used cautiously, if at all, by someone with a history of addiction.

It's not an evil monster, but it's also not entirely benign for everyone all the time.
I totally agree man... I believe whether or not it is abused is based on the individual. There are way more addictive substances out there but at the same time it is a PARTIAL mu opioid receptor agonist so the potential for abuse IS there.

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree man... I believe whether or not it is abused is based on the individual. There are way more addictive substances out there but at the same time it is a PARTIAL mu opioid receptor agonist so the potential for abuse is there.
Well recovery folks seem to be super cautious about everything.. I catch flak for using ec stack since my doc was meth.. they hate on phenibut also.. and kratom.. but to me ec is no where near the same..

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well recovery folks seem to be super cautious about everything.. I catch flak for using ec stack since my doc was meth.. they hate on phenibut also.. and kratom.. but to me ec is no where near the same..
EC is nowhere near the same, assuming you mean ephedrine and caffeine. There’s MOUNTAINS of research on the combination.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
It's asinine to say that kratom does not have addictive potential. It CAN help people kick some addictions, but that doesn't mean it isn't addictive itself, although it is often LESS addicting than the drugs that people are using it to get off of. I can show you a PLETHORA of studies showing that kratom does indeed have an addicitve potential, and even the respectable people who sell it here on AM (sponsors) will tell you it has this potential and should be used with caution, if at all, by people with a history of addiction. To suggest otherwise, that it has no addictive potential, is irresponsible and incorrect.
I guess it works for some and not for others. To each their own?

No worries here man just really wanting to help OP and if he doesn't want to take certain advice he won't! He probably didn't even listen to me lol.

Again just trying to help. I've struggled with addiction for 10 years, not fun.

I honestly never get addicted to K though... No cravings no withdrawal.

The way your supposed to take it, once or twice a week

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ugsavage Anabolics 12
Anabolics 89
cruze1911r1 Supplements 15
EpiStrong Supplements 19
Anabolics 1