Cushings in Dogs, help

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hi guys,

My dog has cushings and it is killing me/annoying the **** out of me, he is overly obsessive looking for food all night, panting all day, eating his own ****, pot bellied and lost a couple of teeth.

I am trying to find out some solutions and see Vetoryl mentioned a lot, the thing is it is soooooo expensive and i really cant afford it at the moment.

Does anyone know a good source or way to get something that will help, atm I have him taking melatonin with dinner, but that doesnt seem to be helping.

He is a jack russell and about 7kgs.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How much is it being quoted to you? I found 10mg @ 30ct for $38

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much is it being quoted to you? I found 10mg @ 30ct for $38
around 60usd plus all the tests they need to do in order to give the damn prescription, we did a urine one and we all know he has it, but apparently some other tests need to be done which are a couple hundred bucks need to be done as well

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
around 60usd plus all the tests they need to do in order to give the damn prescription, we did a urine one and we all know he has it, but apparently some other tests need to be done which are a couple hundred bucks need to be done as well
Every visit to the vet for us usually amounts to something ridiculous. Don't get the prescription filled through the vet and save yourself a little money.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Every visit to the vet for us usually amounts to something ridiculous. Don't get the prescription filled through the vet and save yourself a little money.
It drives me nuts how the world works, what other way can I get the prescription filled? sorry I have always just grinned and bared it, but the way things are going i am just so damn sick of money hungry people lol.

I have also been looking into other alternatives ways and I have read ashwagandha can be beneficial, might look into that too

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've read it's an increase in cortisol, and anything that relates to that may help. Try an alternative route touted by those in the know first. I would assume Ashwagandha ^ as mentioned would be a good fit. Just get the doggie dosage right if it can be given to them.

I think you may have some alternate treatments available to see if they work before revisiting the vet.
I'm sick of putting out $300-400 per visit every 6 months. They are all like this too.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've read it's an increase in cortisol, and anything that relates to that may help. Try an alternative route touted by those in the know first. I would assume Ashwagandha ^ as mentioned would be a good fit. Just get the doggie dosage right if it can be given to them.

I think you may have some alternate treatments available to see if they work before revisiting the vet.
I'm sick of putting out $300-400 per visit every 6 months. They are all like this too.
Yeha will do, gonna do a bit more research what I can get him and report back after a week or so... it just kills me because ive got all my **** going on then I just wanna come home and play or cuddle with him, but he is just too busy hunting for food or sitting by his bowl, the **** eating is driving me mad too lol

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeha will do, gonna do a bit more research what I can get him and report back after a week or so... it just kills me because ive got all my **** going on then I just wanna come home and play or cuddle with him, but he is just too busy hunting for food or sitting by his bowl, the **** eating is driving me mad too lol
My heart goes out to you. Let us know how you do with the little guy!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you're spending more than just a few hundred a year on vet costs, you should probably get pet insurance. The ones I have had quoted are $40/month max and that is with a $200 deductible, a few of them basically covering everything as well.

Your dog sounds similar to our cat. She will rip through any food packing left out and eat it and throw up. We can't feed her more than a small handful at a time as she will devour it until she throws up. She would lift the lid to our trashcan and shred the trash bag to get leftovers so we had to buy a locking trashcan. She is skinny because of this, but still very annoying. Meowing incessantly, not the cute kind, but the loud obnoxious meow that makes you want to throw her through a wall. Lol