Self Improvement Books

Page 3 of 15 First 12345 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post

    Fully believe prayer can unlock parts of the brain that are dormant.
    What parts specifically do you believe are dormant?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    When God cast Satan out of heaven many angels went with him.
    They had sex with men and women and animals
    The of spring were powerful creatures.

    King James kept it out when he copied the bible.

    Look it up very interesting.
    It was in the original scrolls that were used to write the bible.
    Or something like that.
    It was my understanding that the earliest complete copy of Enoch known to man is the “K-9” manuscript dated in the 14-15th century? If this is the case, I can see why it wasn’t included. That doesn’t mean it’s not legit scripture, just that there wasn’t sufficient evidence to prove it was authentic. I think I read that a fragment of Enoch was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, but not the whole thing. I think perhaps the most logical/safe assumption is to say that there likely was then a book of Enoch, but the oldest known manuscripts are quite recent, so we may have to read/interpret them with a grain of salt, as we’re re-translating an already translated version that may have itself been changed/edited in the 1500+ years since it was written to the earliest known text we have.

    The topic of Biblical canon is very interesting though, particularly things like the history of the synoptic Gospels and what sources they drew from (like “Q” and potentially Thomas). Very interesting stuff.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    What parts specifically do you believe are dormant?
    Please tell me it’s not the “we only use 10% of our brain” thing lol. As if the other 90% doesn’t do anything and we could just cut it out and be fine.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    What parts specifically do you believe are dormant?
    I'm not sure
    But prayer can do amazing things

  5. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Please tell me it’s not the “we only use 10% of our brain” thing lol. As if the other 90% doesn’t do anything and we could just cut it out and be fine.
    We know so little about the brain
    Not even the tip of the ice burg.

    And when people say 10% that's not what they mean .
    At least I don't think intelligent people can possibly think that
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Please tell me it’s not the “we only use 10% of our brain” thing lol. As if the other 90% doesn’t do anything and we could just cut it out and be fine.
    The brain has around a million gigs of storage.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    The brain has around a million gigs of storage.
    So you’re saying we should pray for better memory?
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    We know so little about the brain
    Not even the tip of the ice burg.

    And when people say 10% that's not what they mean .
    At least I don't think intelligent people can possibly think that
    So, I don't like to play this card, but I have a PhD in neuroscience. I believe you've either been horribly misled or misunderstood what you've been told. Prayer may help some select people through some very select things through a placebo effect or possibly psychosocial benefit, but it's not opening up any dormant parts of the brain. Normal, healthy people don't have dormant parts of their brain. If somebody has dormant parts of their brain, that's the result of injury or disease and they're going to need cutting/drilling, not prayer.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    So, I don't like to play this card, but I have a PhD in neuroscience. I believe you've either been horribly misled or misunderstood what you've been told. Prayer may help some select people through some very select things through a placebo effect or possibly psychosocial benefit, but it's not opening up any dormant parts of the brain. Normal, healthy people don't have dormant parts of their brain. If somebody has dormant parts of their brain, that's the result of injury or disease and they're going to need cutting/drilling, not prayer.
    I said not like a portion being off.
    The 10% thing I said most intelligent people don't believe that.

    I believe prayer can allow you to use your brain in a more productive and profound way.

    Yes prayer does allow you to memorize
    Things better.


    Il

  10. A majority of doctors prayer in the west pray before surgery

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    So, I don't like to play this card, but I have a PhD in neuroscience. I believe you've either been horribly misled or misunderstood what you've been told. Prayer may help some select people through some very select things through a placebo effect or possibly psychosocial benefit, but it's not opening up any dormant parts of the brain. Normal, healthy people don't have dormant parts of their brain. If somebody has dormant parts of their brain, that's the result of injury or disease and they're going to need cutting/drilling, not prayer.
    Where did you get your PhD from?

  12. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    So you’re saying we should pray for better memory?
    I'd say you should pray for everything

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    A majority of doctors prayer in the west pray before surgery
    I know quite a few surgeons, so I would like to know where your source on that is. Listen, I'm not denying that prayer might have benefits or knocking anybody that prays. I'm saying prayer doesn't awaken any dormant parts of the brain and questioning where you're getting some of your statements from.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    Where did you get your PhD from?
    Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. Got my BS in Molecular Biology from Bradley University before that.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  15. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    Can anyone recommend some of these? I’ve been in a slump of slight depression, low motivation, drinking more than I’d like when I go out. I figured reading is one of the only things I haven’t tried yet.

    I just started Mind Hacking by Sir John Hargrave, not sure if it’s a good one but it sounded interesting and I was able to download it for free. Lol

    I’m not religious so I’d prefer no books directly based on that. I don’t care if the author is as long as it isn’t biased towards a religion.
    Personally, I think that a "Self improvement book" improves foremost the writers economical situation.
    Realizing and admitting own flaws comes first. Getting free of them can only start after that. IMHO, no book -or video can change you -BUT may inspire you to change.
    I adhere to teachings of J. Krishnamurti. Following his monologues can be a bit tiring -but he is very powerful.
    Look up his videos on youtube.
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. Got my BS in Molecular Biology from Bradley University before that.
    Impressive

    How much do you believe humans understand about the brain?

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    So, I don't like to play this card, but I have a PhD in neuroscience. I believe you've either been horribly misled or misunderstood what you've been told. Prayer may help some select people through some very select things through a placebo effect or possibly psychosocial benefit, but it's not opening up any dormant parts of the brain. Normal, healthy people don't have dormant parts of their brain. If somebody has dormant parts of their brain, that's the result of injury or disease and they're going to need cutting/drilling, not prayer.
    I actually can't even name parts of the brain.
    Hahaha.
    I can see how a dark unused part of the brain is ridiculous.

    But as far as pray it helps lots of people with their mind.

  18. This thread is wayy out there lol.

    To the religious... Do you believe in hell?

  19. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    An alien encounter is not the most plausible or logical explanation for the events of the Bible. For one, it’s arguable that not everything is intended to be taken literally at face value. I’m not saying it’s impossible, just that Occam’s would suggest that they theory with the least amount of assumptions is probably correct, and throwing aliens into the mix, as something we can’t really prove right now, on top of divine intervention and the presence of God, which we may never be able to “prove” seems less likely than “normal” divine intervention, as an Omnipotent/Omnipresent God is necessary in either case; also having aliens would be another step or assumption that we just don’t know, which makes it less likely IMO. Not impossible, just not likely. If God is omniscient and omnipresent, the simplest explanation is he can just send manifestations and/or communicate directly with people without a physical form/presence. Having God communicate through aliens is another added layer of complexity that further convolutes things IMO. What do these aliens do when they’re not communicating with us? Do they always do God’s will, or just sometimes? Etc. I’m not saying aliens don’t exist, as given infinite time and space, they almost certainly do, or did, or will exist, it’s just I don’t know if they’re messengers of God.

    TL;DR; We haven’t “proven” the existence of aliens or God; I’d be wary of saying that they’re so closely linked and interdependent.
    Something interacting with humans that are not from earth is an alien encounter.

    The stories in the bible regarding God and angels are alien encounters.

    That's all I'm saying.
    I have no idea what angels do when they are not doing gods will.....I assume sing or something.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    I actually can't even name parts of the brain.
    Hahaha.
    I can see how a dark unused part of the brain is ridiculous.

    But as far as pray it helps lots of people with their mind.
    It's a way to keep people on track, out of trouble.

    When you go through hard times, you will eventually seek a higher power

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    What parts specifically do you believe are dormant?
    So yeah I used dormant incorrectly my bad bro

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Bintherduntht View Post
    It's a way to keep people on track, out of trouble.

    When you go through hard times, you will eventually seek a higher power
    Unfortunately that's when people start praying .....when they need something

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    Unfortunately that's when people start praying .....when they need something
    I have this theory, that people who are not spiritual, in touch with a higher power, simply have not been through hard enough times.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    Impressive

    How much do you believe humans understand about the brain?
    Hard to put a percentage on it, but personally I believe we know a great deal about its physiology down to a molecular level. There aren't really any big question marks on parts of the brain as to what it does. The big unknowns though are still how parts work together to create our minds, how things go wrong and how that translates into complex diseases/conditions, and how to actually control or modify parts to help people without causing more harm.

    We always have more to learn, but there are not any parts just sitting there.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Hard to put a percentage on it, but personally I believe we know a great deal about its physiology down to a molecular level. There aren't really any big question marks on parts of the brain as to what it does. The big unknowns though are still how parts work together to create our minds, how things go wrong and how that translates into complex diseases/conditions, and how to actually control or modify parts to help people without causing more harm.

    We always have more to learn, but there are not any parts just sitting there.
    That's where science comes in!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM
  2. The Self-Improvement Disease
    By Innersky23 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 01:11 AM
  3. Information Sites and Books (No Hunting Format)
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 09:13 AM
  4. Self-Tan products
    By bigbadboss101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 04:50 PM
  5. Steriod Books
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-28-2002, 06:29 AM
Log in
Log in