Chimpanzee strength

ER47

Awards
Hey guys delete if not allowed. My question is how strong is a chimpanzee in your opinion? Years ago scientists use to think that chimps were 8 to 10 times stronger than humans however a recent study showed that chimps were only 1.35 to 1.5 dynamic strength when compared to humans they tested the strength having the chimp pull and jump . My question is how much would a regular chimp weighing 140 lbs be able to pull ?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How old is he? How long has he been lifting? What's his diet like? Is he natural?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Interesting topic:

"Chimps are incredibly strong and fast so humans are easily overpowered."

Indeed, chimpanzees have been shown to be about four times as strong as humans comparable in size, according to evolutionary biologist Alan Walker, formerly of Pennsylvania State University.

Research suggests the difference in strength between the two lies in the muscle performance.

In chimps, the muscle fibers closest to the bones -- those deemed to be the source of strength of both chimps and humans – are much longer and more dense, so a chimp is able to generate more power using the same range of motion, Ross of the Lester Fisher Center said.

Also, unlike humans, chimpanzees have less control over their muscles. As a result, sometimes chimps use more of their muscle strength than necessary, according to Walker's theory, published 2009 in the journal Current Anthropology.
www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/02/how_strong_is_a_chimpanzee.html

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
22. 4 years, high protein, moderate carbs. On cell tech and deer antler.
This would skew the results a ton. A chimpanzee on celltech would have the strength of probably 5-6 normal chimpanzees.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If I can convince the higher ups to make a banana flavored PES Select, would your chimpanzee be willing to do some promo work for it?

Reactions: Nac
UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recall watching an episode of I Survived and there was one about a tourist safari attacked by a chimpanzee gone amok. He ripped apart the body of one of the tourists. Bare hands if that is the correct term for chimps.
I wonder if that test the OP mentioned was done with even tempered chimps and not agitated ones.

Recall the one that ripped off the ladies face?

Well maybe I am referring to grip strength and that is different the strength referred to by the OP.

EpicSlaughter

EpicSlaughter

Awards
Hey guys delete if not allowed. My question is how strong is a chimpanzee in your opinion? Years ago scientists use to think that chimps were 8 to 10 times stronger than humans however a recent study showed that chimps were only 1.35 to 1.5 dynamic strength when compared to humans they tested the strength having the chimp pull and jump . My question is how much would a regular chimp weighing 140 lbs be able to pull ?
I did the math... 7.63 lbs. You're welcome.