Is anyone here a machinist?

  1. Is anyone here a machinist?


    I've currently been waiting to go back to college and go into the sleep study technologist program, but after reading about it and looking into it, searching forums online; the jobs just aren't there. Plus, I would most likely have to work in the north east where I live and I hate most of the north east and want to move. So, I started looking at trade school jobs and machinist has piqued my interest, specifically CNC machinist. There seems to be about ten times more machinist jobs out there than many medical jobs.


  2. I have worked as a sleep technologist for the past 24 years and the market is fading for full time work you work mainly midnights in a hospital setting and clinics are mostly home testing trade work is a great choice but try and specialize in something like automotive and money wonít be a problem.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Bman1970 View Post
    I have worked as a sleep technologist for the past 24 years and the market is fading for full time work you work mainly midnights in a hospital setting and clinics are mostly home testing trade work is a great choice but try and specialize in something like automotive and money won’t be a problem.
    Thank you for helping save me from a mistake lol.

  4. I donít think it was a mistake but probably not what your looking for in a career if you donít mind traveling there are always jobs for for a traveling technologist but there is no retirement and in many cases no health benefits the down side for me and working in the trades is factory life for 20 plus years I am in a great place in my career and take great satisfaction that I have helped so many people but itís not for everyone and I couldnít imagine just starting out now.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Bman1970 View Post
    I don’t think it was a mistake but probably not what your looking for in a career if you don’t mind traveling there are always jobs for for a traveling technologist but there is no retirement and in many cases no health benefits the down side for me and working in the trades is factory life for 20 plus years I am in a great place in my career and take great satisfaction that I have helped so many people but it’s not for everyone and I couldn’t imagine just starting out now.
    No, I'd honestly hate traveling a lot at least if it was work related. Another reason I decided to not pursue it is, it seems like most of the sleep study jobs are in the north east where I am, but I HATE most of the north east and want to move away ASAP.
    •   
       


  6. There are a lot of sleep jobs in the Southwest like Texas and New Mexico I had a job offer in Texas a year ago I donít blame you for wanting a change of scenery I have lived in the Midwest my whole life but when I retire I will head south in the winter

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Bman1970 View Post
    There are a lot of sleep jobs in the Southwest like Texas and New Mexico I had a job offer in Texas a year ago I don’t blame you for wanting a change of scenery I have lived in the Midwest my whole life but when I retire I will head south in the winter
    Yeah, but see I want to move to a cold state with nice scenery, like Montana or one of the Dakotas. If I wasn't sensitive to the heat, I'd aim to move to Arizona.

  8. Well good luck with whatever you decide if you have any questions I can answer feel free to message me I will be glad to help.

  9. Some of my friends are machinists. CNC is a good place to start, but then get into design work. My good friend, his title is Sr. Model Maker, he makes 3 times the money that a CNC operator makes. But it takes time.

    He's the type where they give him a block of aluminum,and the finished product is a medical device/instrument. Has patents, etc. So there is a potential to do very well in that field. He has his own shop now,and everyone comes to him, so he does very well. The CNC guys are still there, 20 years later, just standing by their machines looking miserable. Its what you make of it...

  10. Now days any job where you work with your hands, ie. Machinist, Mechanic, Plumber, Electrician are in demand and in the near future will be Very Good Paying Jobs!!
    TEAM GET DIESEL
    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM

    Use Code 'Rocket5' for 5% off at FeFiFo.com

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Power-Lift View Post
    Some of my friends are machinists. CNC is a good place to start, but then get into design work. My good friend, his title is Sr. Model Maker, he makes 3 times the money that a CNC operator makes. But it takes time.

    He's the type where they give him a block of aluminum,and the finished product is a medical device/instrument. Has patents, etc. So there is a potential to do very well in that field. He has his own shop now,and everyone comes to him, so he does very well. The CNC guys are still there, 20 years later, just standing by their machines looking miserable. Its what you make of it...
    The only thing I worry about with that is, I'm not very artsy. I can't draw to save my life. I don't think that matter TOO much with machinist jobs, but with CNC I know they use a program similar to CAD and with anything with design, I'd be concerned with that.

  12. I agree with Power-Lift.Work your way up a tool and die maker. I was fortunate enough to work with two of the best plus an old school welder. CNC is great for job shops . But a true machinist is highly respected and sought after. Rocket is dead on also My wife was teaching high school and the shop teacher used to tell her that nobody wants to work with their hands anymore. Go for it.

  13. Machinists, welders, and skilled tradesmen are one of the most highly sought after professional categories... I'm a manufacturing process consultant for a living and travel all over the country and world helping factories and one of the biggest issues every one of them has is backfilling all the retiring workers.

    There is such a ridiculous shortage of skilled trade workers that you could work anywhere you want with that skillset. Seriously, I cannot recommend it enough if you want both job security and guaranteed good pay.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - db77 @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

  14. Get into CAD design/ CNC can't go wrong im a welder and a automation welding operator. theres tons of work in this field

  15. Quote Originally Posted by rgenestr View Post
    Get into CAD design/ CNC can't go wrong im a welder and a automation welding operator. theres tons of work in this field
    About welding, I know you obviously have to wear a mask. The only reason I'm a little concerned with that is, I have allergies and tend to breathe heavier, especially during allergy season. I was wondering if you have to breathe heavier when you use a mask. I heard some guys can pump oxygen in their mask though.

  16. You can buy that type of mask most jobs require you to use respirators which you wanna do anyway for health but I have bad allergies too and if you have a respirator it helps ten fold and your not shooting as many black snots in the shower

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Shiznown View Post
    About welding, I know you obviously have to wear a mask. The only reason I'm a little concerned with that is, I have allergies and tend to breathe heavier, especially during allergy season. I was wondering if you have to breathe heavier when you use a mask. I heard some guys can pump oxygen in their mask though.
    And also Iíd wait till your established and have the funds for a air hood because theyíre quite expensive unless you can find a good deal but thatís not somewhere you wanna be cheap your hood/mask is your bread and butter especially if you go air style

  18. Well, I've been thinking about it a lot and I want to be a welder over a machinist. I think I'll like it better and looking at the videos on welding, it actually looks fun. The only reason I'd really lean towards machinist, is because of the potential of toxic fumes, although I have been looking at videos on PAPRs and they eliminate the fumes, at least mostly. Admittedly I have very strong OCD and anxiety, so my mind will think like "Well what if that >1% of fumes that might get through and messed me up over time." and stuff like that, so I usually need A LOT of assurance with thing, so I'm looking more into PAPRs at the moment.

  19. No doubt about welding producing fumes that are potentially hazardous to your health. I'm 61 years old and been welding and machining 40 plus years. Today's fume extraction and respirator protection eliminates almost all of the risks. Machining though is much easier on the lungs even though some cutting oils can put off some fumes. As Booneman said trades are becoming harder to fill. Right now I'm working for a foods and flavors company with a small maint shop and all of us are over 59 with no young blood knocking at the doors. Try them both out and see which one is a better fit for you or better yet get good at both and be able to name your salary and stay in demand.

  20. Good advice @mjsmech
    TEAM GET DIESEL
    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM

    Use Code 'Rocket5' for 5% off at FeFiFo.com

  21. If you want to stay in the medical field you might want to look at biomedical engineering technician.
    Plenty of jobs all over.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by PDG View Post
    If you want to stay in the medical field you might want to look at biomedical engineering technician.
    Plenty of jobs all over.
    I'm approaching 30, so I've given up on the medical field. I want to get to work as soon as possible, not wait more years to start workign in a career.

  23. Looking at the "PAPR" welding setup again. I saw a review where the guy said he used it when he had to weld and work around lead particles and he used it 12 hour work days and no issues at all. You can even put a valve in there that'll cool the air flow like a mini ac unit on your head lol. $1,600 but well worth it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Is anyone here from China?
    By Gator 87 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
  2. Is anyone on Gear here???
    By 38Nstrong in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 05:50 AM
  3. Anyone here been on/now on an HST cycle?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 02:50 AM
  4. Anyone here use beta-blockers?
    By Lethalius in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 06:28 PM
  5. Anyone here use GuggulBolic Guggulsterones?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Log in
Log in