Firearm Thread

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  1. Firearm Thread

I know there has to be a few people here that are interested in guns.. I just got an AR so I am getting more into them than I was previously. I have hunted for several years, mainly dove and turkey because they are the most fun for me. I don't like deer hunting too much because I don't like sitting still for that long. Lol

So far with the AR all I have done is get an optic. I put a Vortex Strikefire II on it so I could go out and shoot with some buddies after I got it. My next plan is to replace the aluminum railed gas block it came with and also change out the handguard and put on a vertical fore grip. I think I'm going to get a mid length Midwest Industries drop in M-LOK handguard. I don't think I'm going to switch to a free float right now, it came with a drop in and I am fine with the accuracy I'm getting with that. After my girlfriend shoots it and depending on how she likes it, I want to start picking up some parts and build her one from scratch.

I have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster (.22), a Benelli Nova 20ga Pump, and I just got the DPMS Oracle. I plan on getting some sort of handgun in the next year or so as well.

Anyways, what all do you guys have?

2. I have a remington bolt action 12g and a remington bolt action 4-10, and a high point 9mm.
    I mean if you really hate your balls, go for it. But, what did they do to you?
    •   

3. Glock 19 as my daily carry and a Smith sd9 in the safe at home
    Want to get more but have 2 small kids so waiting till they get older
    -Chaos and Pain Rep -
    www.chaosandpain.com

4. Does that drop in rail require the cap that's against the gas block? If so changing out the gas block my not work if the new one won't work with the cap.

ETA: I don't think the Oracle is a midlength, they are normally carbine length.

5. Quote Originally Posted by DemntedCowboy View Post
    I have a remington bolt action 12g and a remington bolt action 4-10, and a high point 9mm.
    Is the Hi-Point the handgun or the carbine? Iíve heard some not-so-good things about the handguns, but I had a 45 carbine and it was actually a very solid gun.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Is the Hi-Point the handgun or the carbine? Iíve heard some not-so-good things about the handguns, but I had a 45 carbine and it was actually a very solid gun.
    Its the handgun, and have never had any issues with it

7. Quote Originally Posted by DemntedCowboy View Post
    Its the handgun, and have never had any issues with it
    Nice. The price is pretty attractive. Plus I think they handguns and carbines share mags. A handgun and a carbine for $300-400 total is certainly attractive.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

8. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Nice. The price is pretty attractive. Plus I think they handguns and carbines share mags. A handgun and a carbine for $300-400 total is certainly attractive.
    Yeah I got mine on sale for $189

9. Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    Does that drop in rail require the cap that's against the gas block? If so changing out the gas block my not work if the new one won't work with the cap.

ETA: I don't think the Oracle is a midlength, they are normally carbine length.
    Yeah you're right. I was looking into free floats to begin with so I wasn't worried about that. Good catch, I may not have remembered if it got to the point of me being ready to order one.

The shop in town will install a free float for $35, I may just do that and go with the mid length, I think I want the extra length for my long arms. Lol

10. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    Yeah you're right. I was looking into free floats to begin with so I wasn't worried about that. Good catch, I may not have remembered if it got to the point of me being ready to order one.

The shop in town will install a free float for $35, I may just do that and go with the mid length, I think I want the extra length for my long arms. Lol
    If you want to lose that gas block, and buy a new handguard, just get a free float and and low profile gas block all at once. Have your shop swap it out and be done. I've got an Oracle that I've done a rebuild on myself, gas block, handguard, barrel nut. It's not hard but you need to do it properly, or you can jack things up before you know what happened.

11. Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    If you want to lose that gas block, and buy a new handguard, just get a free float and and low profile gas block all at once. Have your shop swap it out and be done. I've got an Oracle that I've done a rebuild on myself, gas block, handguard, barrel nut. It's not hard but you need to do it properly, or you can jack things up before you know what happened.
    Yeah, for only $35 I think it's almost a no brainer to go that route. Most good free float handguards will come with their own tool and proprietary barrel nut from what I have read, so it can be done pretty easily on your own even without extra tools. I may just have them do it for me and try it out if I decide to build my own later on.

12. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    Yeah, for only $35 I think it's almost a no brainer to go that route. Most good free float handguards will come with their own tool and proprietary barrel nut from what I have read, so it can be done pretty easily on your own even without extra tools. I may just have them do it for me and try it out if I decide to build my own later on.
    That's not the only tool you need. You'll need a tool to remove flash hider, and a way to clamp the barrel in a vise. You can't just clamp the receiver and twiSt on the flash hider, or you can damage the receiver if the whole barrel twists. Then you need the clamshell for the upper receiver to loosen and tighten the barrel nut. Again it's not hard with proper stuff.

I've used a Magpul Bev block to loosen and tighten flash hides if my barrel is too short to get clamped in a vise. But to tighten the barrel nut, you need to be able to secure the upper receiver.

13. Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    That's not the only tool you need. You'll need a tool to remove flash hider, and a way to clamp the barrel in a vise. You can't just clamp the receiver and twiSt on the flash hider, or you can damage the receiver if the whole barrel twists. Then you need the clamshell for the upper receiver to loosen and tighten the barrel nut. Again it's not hard with proper stuff.

I've used a Magpul Bev block to loosen and tighten flash hides if my barrel is too short to get clamped in a vise. But to tighten the barrel nut, you need to be able to secure the upper receiver.
    I watched a couple videos of people going from drop in to free float with minimal tools and I think I could definitely do it with what I have, but I likely will take it to the shop to avoid the hassle. Lol

14. I have a Kimber Series 1 1911 in .45acp, two AK-47's in 7.62x39 and a Mavrik 88 12ga. The wife has a Glock 30 in .45acp

15. Looking into buying a Sig p320 in 45. Even with the recent mishaps they've been having I still want one and if it's the old style trigger they'll still replace it for free anyway. I just can't get over the look of it. It looks awesome and locally I'm sure it'll only run me around $500. I really wanted a 10mm, but the only 10mm that I can afford and that would be practical is the Glock 20 and I just don't like Glocks.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Shiznown View Post
    Looking into buying a Sig p320 in 45. Even with the recent mishaps they've been having I still want one and if it's the old style trigger they'll still replace it for free anyway. I just can't get over the look of it. It looks awesome and locally I'm sure it'll only run me around $500. I really wanted a 10mm, but the only 10mm that I can afford and that would be practical is the Glock 20 and I just don't like Glocks.
    My dad is the same way, he can't stand how Glocks feel. I will probably end up with a Taurus 9mm here pretty soon, I am terrible at shooting handguns so it'll definitely take some practice for me lol

17. Quote Originally Posted by Shiznown View Post
    I really wanted a 10mm, but the only 10mm that I can afford and that would be practical is the Glock 20 and I just don't like Glocks.
    Bren Ten brings all the boys to the yard....great looking gun

18. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    My dad is the same way, he can't stand how Glocks feel. I will probably end up with a Taurus 9mm here pretty soon, I am terrible at shooting handguns so it'll definitely take some practice for me lol
    2018-01-23 20.22.25.jpg

They feel better when you customize the grip some.

I did this myself, smoothed out the bump on the backstrap, removed the finger bumps on the front, and added some texture. Feels nice now. I'm working on another that's about half way done, just need to finish up the heavy work before I start the texture.

Which Taurus are you thinking of? I've shot the Millennium G2 and hate the trigger. Gun feels nice, but trigger is so long I thought it was broke because it didn't go off. I hear some are better than others, so if your shop has multiples, I'd try them all till you get one that works for you.

19. Just changed to a halo site on my highpoint so now I have to take it back to the range

20. Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    2018-01-23 20.22.25.jpg

They feel better when you customize the grip some.

I did this myself, smoothed out the bump on the backstrap, removed the finger bumps on the front, and added some texture. Feels nice now. I'm working on another that's about half way done, just need to finish up the heavy work before I start the texture.

Which Taurus are you thinking of? I've shot the Millennium G2 and hate the trigger. Gun feels nice, but trigger is so long I thought it was broke because it didn't go off. I hear some are better than others, so if your shop has multiples, I'd try them all till you get one that works for you.
    Yeah basically everything you changed on the grip is what my dad would complain about lol he doesn't really care to do any customization so he just got a Ruger SR9 for his first pistol, I think he really likes it for what it is.

I'm not sure which it is, my uncle just told me he is thinking of getting a new one so he will give me the Taurus he has now. I was trying to decide on getting a pistol or AR, and he told me to go with the AR because he will probably give me his Taurus when gets a new one.

21. Quote Originally Posted by DemntedCowboy View Post
    Just changed to a halo site on my highpoint so now I have to take it back to the range
    That's a good excuse to have to make a range trip. That is what I'm going to start telling my girlfriend, sorry I had to readjust the optic, I have to go zero it in ASAP, it's for our safety! Lol

Except the only range close by requires frangible ammo, which costs twice as much, so I typically just make the drive out to the farm.

22. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    That's a good excuse to have to make a range trip. That is what I'm going to start telling my girlfriend, sorry I had to readjust the optic, I have to go zero it in ASAP, it's for our safety! Lol

Except the only range close by requires frangible ammo, which costs twice as much, so I typically just make the drive out to the farm.
    I have the range or I can go out to my sister in laws they have 100 acres. And a big pile of horse **** but the range is right down the street

23. I so far have a Remington 20 gauge, Henry Big Boy .45 lever action, and a Springfield XDS 9mm to my name. Havent made any upgrades yet but I've been eyeing a laser site for my XDS just to have for ****s.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

24. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    I so far have a Remington 20 gauge, Henry Big Boy .45 lever action, and a Springfield XDS 9mm to my name. Havent made any upgrades yet but I've been eyeing a laser site for my XDS just to have for ****s.
    Nice, we've had a Remington 870 in both 12 and 20 gauge. I tried switching to the 12 gauge but I just do so much better with every 20 gauge so I gave back the 12 gauge and haven't shot one since then.

25. My dad is wanting to get a 9mm carbine that will use the same magazines as his Ruger, so if anyone has any suggestions on the ones they've liked we I will let him know to check them out.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The OFFICIAL Guns/Firearms/Knives Thread!
    By Trauma1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1039
    Last Post: 07-16-2015, 12:16 PM
  2. Are all the previous threads gone?
    By Gmonkey in forum Cycle Logs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2003, 05:50 PM
  3. Curt2go's cycle thread....
    By curt2go in forum Cycle Logs
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 10:34 PM
  4. The "What you want for christmas" thread