Firearm Thread

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I know there has to be a few people here that are interested in guns.. I just got an AR so I am getting more into them than I was previously. I have hunted for several years, mainly dove and turkey because they are the most fun for me. I don't like deer hunting too much because I don't like sitting still for that long. Lol

So far with the AR all I have done is get an optic. I put a Vortex Strikefire II on it so I could go out and shoot with some buddies after I got it. My next plan is to replace the aluminum railed gas block it came with and also change out the handguard and put on a vertical fore grip. I think I'm going to get a mid length Midwest Industries drop in M-LOK handguard. I don't think I'm going to switch to a free float right now, it came with a drop in and I am fine with the accuracy I'm getting with that. After my girlfriend shoots it and depending on how she likes it, I want to start picking up some parts and build her one from scratch.

I have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster (.22), a Benelli Nova 20ga Pump, and I just got the DPMS Oracle. I plan on getting some sort of handgun in the next year or so as well.

Anyways, what all do you guys have?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have a remington bolt action 12g and a remington bolt action 4-10, and a high point 9mm.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glock 19 as my daily carry and a Smith sd9 in the safe at home
Want to get more but have 2 small kids so waiting till they get older

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Does that drop in rail require the cap that's against the gas block? If so changing out the gas block my not work if the new one won't work with the cap.

ETA: I don't think the Oracle is a midlength, they are normally carbine length.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a remington bolt action 12g and a remington bolt action 4-10, and a high point 9mm.
Is the Hi-Point the handgun or the carbine? I’ve heard some not-so-good things about the handguns, but I had a 45 carbine and it was actually a very solid gun.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Is the Hi-Point the handgun or the carbine? I’ve heard some not-so-good things about the handguns, but I had a 45 carbine and it was actually a very solid gun.
Its the handgun, and have never had any issues with it

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its the handgun, and have never had any issues with it
Nice. The price is pretty attractive. Plus I think they handguns and carbines share mags. A handgun and a carbine for $300-400 total is certainly attractive.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice. The price is pretty attractive. Plus I think they handguns and carbines share mags. A handgun and a carbine for $300-400 total is certainly attractive.
Yeah I got mine on sale for $189

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Does that drop in rail require the cap that's against the gas block? If so changing out the gas block my not work if the new one won't work with the cap.

ETA: I don't think the Oracle is a midlength, they are normally carbine length.
Yeah you're right. I was looking into free floats to begin with so I wasn't worried about that. Good catch, I may not have remembered if it got to the point of me being ready to order one.

The shop in town will install a free float for $35, I may just do that and go with the mid length, I think I want the extra length for my long arms. Lol

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Yeah you're right. I was looking into free floats to begin with so I wasn't worried about that. Good catch, I may not have remembered if it got to the point of me being ready to order one.

The shop in town will install a free float for $35, I may just do that and go with the mid length, I think I want the extra length for my long arms. Lol
If you want to lose that gas block, and buy a new handguard, just get a free float and and low profile gas block all at once. Have your shop swap it out and be done. I've got an Oracle that I've done a rebuild on myself, gas block, handguard, barrel nut. It's not hard but you need to do it properly, or you can jack things up before you know what happened.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you want to lose that gas block, and buy a new handguard, just get a free float and and low profile gas block all at once. Have your shop swap it out and be done. I've got an Oracle that I've done a rebuild on myself, gas block, handguard, barrel nut. It's not hard but you need to do it properly, or you can jack things up before you know what happened.
Yeah, for only $35 I think it's almost a no brainer to go that route. Most good free float handguards will come with their own tool and proprietary barrel nut from what I have read, so it can be done pretty easily on your own even without extra tools. I may just have them do it for me and try it out if I decide to build my own later on.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, for only $35 I think it's almost a no brainer to go that route. Most good free float handguards will come with their own tool and proprietary barrel nut from what I have read, so it can be done pretty easily on your own even without extra tools. I may just have them do it for me and try it out if I decide to build my own later on.
That's not the only tool you need. You'll need a tool to remove flash hider, and a way to clamp the barrel in a vise. You can't just clamp the receiver and twiSt on the flash hider, or you can damage the receiver if the whole barrel twists. Then you need the clamshell for the upper receiver to loosen and tighten the barrel nut. Again it's not hard with proper stuff.

I've used a Magpul Bev block to loosen and tighten flash hides if my barrel is too short to get clamped in a vise. But to tighten the barrel nut, you need to be able to secure the upper receiver.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's not the only tool you need. You'll need a tool to remove flash hider, and a way to clamp the barrel in a vise. You can't just clamp the receiver and twiSt on the flash hider, or you can damage the receiver if the whole barrel twists. Then you need the clamshell for the upper receiver to loosen and tighten the barrel nut. Again it's not hard with proper stuff.

I've used a Magpul Bev block to loosen and tighten flash hides if my barrel is too short to get clamped in a vise. But to tighten the barrel nut, you need to be able to secure the upper receiver.
I watched a couple videos of people going from drop in to free float with minimal tools and I think I could definitely do it with what I have, but I likely will take it to the shop to avoid the hassle. Lol

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I have a Kimber Series 1 1911 in .45acp, two AK-47's in 7.62x39 and a Mavrik 88 12ga. The wife has a Glock 30 in .45acp

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking into buying a Sig p320 in 45. Even with the recent mishaps they've been having I still want one and if it's the old style trigger they'll still replace it for free anyway. I just can't get over the look of it. It looks awesome and locally I'm sure it'll only run me around $500. I really wanted a 10mm, but the only 10mm that I can afford and that would be practical is the Glock 20 and I just don't like Glocks.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looking into buying a Sig p320 in 45. Even with the recent mishaps they've been having I still want one and if it's the old style trigger they'll still replace it for free anyway. I just can't get over the look of it. It looks awesome and locally I'm sure it'll only run me around $500. I really wanted a 10mm, but the only 10mm that I can afford and that would be practical is the Glock 20 and I just don't like Glocks.
My dad is the same way, he can't stand how Glocks feel. I will probably end up with a Taurus 9mm here pretty soon, I am terrible at shooting handguns so it'll definitely take some practice for me lol

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
My dad is the same way, he can't stand how Glocks feel. I will probably end up with a Taurus 9mm here pretty soon, I am terrible at shooting handguns so it'll definitely take some practice for me lol
2018-01-23 20.22.25.jpg

They feel better when you customize the grip some. :)

I did this myself, smoothed out the bump on the backstrap, removed the finger bumps on the front, and added some texture. Feels nice now. I'm working on another that's about half way done, just need to finish up the heavy work before I start the texture.

Which Taurus are you thinking of? I've shot the Millennium G2 and hate the trigger. Gun feels nice, but trigger is so long I thought it was broke because it didn't go off. I hear some are better than others, so if your shop has multiples, I'd try them all till you get one that works for you.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just changed to a halo site on my highpoint so now I have to take it back to the range

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
View attachment 159215

I did this myself, smoothed out the bump on the backstrap, removed the finger bumps on the front, and added some texture. Feels nice now. I'm working on another that's about half way done, just need to finish up the heavy work before I start the texture.

Which Taurus are you thinking of? I've shot the Millennium G2 and hate the trigger. Gun feels nice, but trigger is so long I thought it was broke because it didn't go off. I hear some are better than others, so if your shop has multiples, I'd try them all till you get one that works for you.
Yeah basically everything you changed on the grip is what my dad would complain about lol he doesn't really care to do any customization so he just got a Ruger SR9 for his first pistol, I think he really likes it for what it is.

I'm not sure which it is, my uncle just told me he is thinking of getting a new one so he will give me the Taurus he has now. I was trying to decide on getting a pistol or AR, and he told me to go with the AR because he will probably give me his Taurus when gets a new one.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just changed to a halo site on my highpoint so now I have to take it back to the range
That's a good excuse to have to make a range trip. That is what I'm going to start telling my girlfriend, sorry I had to readjust the optic, I have to go zero it in ASAP, it's for our safety! Lol

Except the only range close by requires frangible ammo, which costs twice as much, so I typically just make the drive out to the farm.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That's a good excuse to have to make a range trip. That is what I'm going to start telling my girlfriend, sorry I had to readjust the optic, I have to go zero it in ASAP, it's for our safety! Lol

Except the only range close by requires frangible ammo, which costs twice as much, so I typically just make the drive out to the farm.
I have the range or I can go out to my sister in laws they have 100 acres. And a big pile of horse **** but the range is right down the street

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I so far have a Remington 20 gauge, Henry Big Boy .45 lever action, and a Springfield XDS 9mm to my name. Havent made any upgrades yet but I've been eyeing a laser site for my XDS just to have for ****s.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I so far have a Remington 20 gauge, Henry Big Boy .45 lever action, and a Springfield XDS 9mm to my name. Havent made any upgrades yet but I've been eyeing a laser site for my XDS just to have for ****s.
Nice, we've had a Remington 870 in both 12 and 20 gauge. I tried switching to the 12 gauge but I just do so much better with every 20 gauge so I gave back the 12 gauge and haven't shot one since then.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My dad is wanting to get a 9mm carbine that will use the same magazines as his Ruger, so if anyone has any suggestions on the ones they've liked we I will let him know to check them out.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a pretty fair collection of firearms. Ranging from a totally pointless (and totally fun) NAA-22MC to my latest acquisition of a Dan Wesson Silverback in 10mm. That my wife still hasn't discovered yet.

And the everything in between......Ruger Mark IV Target and a Mark IV Hunter, Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38 spl, Ruger Blackhawk Hunter Bisley 44 mag, Colt Mustang Pocket-lite .380, Kahr CW 380, Ruger Sr .40SW, 2 different Colt 1911 M1-A's (one was my Uncles sidearm), Springfield Loaded 1911 stainless, Colt Combat Commander, 2 Marlin Model 60 .22 rifles that my Dad bought for us in 1973 from Shipmans Sporting goods ( I remember it like it happened yesterday), Remington 20 gauge pump, 2 Winchester Model 12's, Sako Vixen .222 Remington Magnum, cheapo Century AK-47

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Will it have to be Ruger to utilize the same magazines? I don't really have any idea about the technical specifications of guns to be honest, so that may be a stupid question. Lol
Yes because no one else makes anything that will accept the Ruger mags. It also can take Glock mags which is good, but looks like it's going to sell for $500+.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/202341/19100/ruger-pc-carbine-9mm-with-threaded-fluted-barrel

It would be cheaper to grab a high point carbine and mags for it.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Dan Wesson Silverback in 10mm. That my wife still hasn't discovered yet.
Damn you!!!!!! Pics now of the Dan!!!!!!!

I've been thinking of getting a 10mm in 1911. How do u like it?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn you!!!!!! Pics now of the Dan!!!!!!!

I've been thinking of getting a 10mm in 1911. How do u like it?
I love it. I'm a big fan of the 1911 platform anyway, and 10 mm makes it that much more fun. Here's a picture from when I originally bought it a few months back.

5935454_05_dan_wesson_silverback_10_mm_640.jpg

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love it. I'm a big fan of the 1911 platform anyway, and 10 mm makes it that much more fun. Here's a picture from when I originally bought it a few months back.

View attachment 159223
Beautiful. I picked up a Kimber eclipse custom 10 mm last year and it’s been no turning back.

cubs1987

cubs1987

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think about the Sig 320? Looking to try it out. I shot the 226 and LOVED it (although could not prolly conceal that bad boy- super heavy). Just got my FOID and looking at my first purchase (shot various from Glock 17/19, to S&W MP, to H&K P30/compact, and the 226 was my fav for sure)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Beautiful. I picked up a Kimber eclipse custom 10 mm last year and it’s been no turning back.
Kimbers are nice. I picked up an Eclipse Target a few years back chambered in .38 Super, that I thought I just had to have. Sold it after only having it for a few months to somebody who wanted it worse than I did.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What do you guys think about the Sig 320? Looking to try it out. I shot the 226 and LOVED it (although could not prolly conceal that bad boy- super heavy). Just got my FOID and looking at my first purchase (shot various from Glock 17/19, to S&W MP, to H&K P30/compact, and the 226 was my fav for sure)
Sig makes some fantastic weapons. It really boils down to what you like, and it sounds like it fits you just fine!!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Sig makes some fantastic weapons. It really boils down to what you like, and it sounds like it fits you just fine!!
To me Sig's are over priced junk because SEALs use them.....give me a MARSOC 1911 anyday

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Personally, I hate a rail on a 1911.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
glock-vs-1911.jpg

Reactions: dds
Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 159215

I like guns to look pretty. I know the appeal of Glock is basically just a brick that shoots, but still when you do that to a Glock it goes from an ugly brick to an ungodly ugly brick.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I like guns to look pretty. I know the appeal of Glock is basically just a brick that shoots, but still when you do that to a Glock it goes from an ugly brick to an ungodly ugly brick.
It's actually not a brick anymore. I agree a factory glock feels like one in my hand since the finger bumps don't fit my hand well. Removing them and slightly shrinking the circumference makes a huge difference.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with this. I have firearms that are tools, and I have some that I consider art. I held a nickel plated Colt Python at a gunshow one time. The wood grips were flawless. Every part mated perfectly. It was a true work of art. The kind of weapon that you don't carry concealed, you wear it on your belt for everyone to enjoy. $3,000 price tag and worth every penny. Some day, I'll hold that in my hand again and I won't set it back down.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I agree with this. I have firearms that are tools, and I have some that I consider art. I held a nickel plated Colt Python at a gunshow one time. The wood grips were flawless. Every part mated perfectly. It was a true work of art. The kind of weapon that you don't carry concealed, you wear it on your belt for everyone to enjoy. $3,000 price tag and worth every penny. Some day, I'll hold that in my hand again and I won't set it back down.
I'm that kind of asshat that would CCW $3k pistol or drag it out hunting in the woods. But I'm not to smart

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a pretty fair collection of firearms. Ranging from a totally pointless (and totally fun) NAA-22MC to my latest acquisition of a Dan Wesson Silverback in 10mm. That my wife still hasn't discovered yet.

And the everything in between......Ruger Mark IV Target and a Mark IV Hunter, Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38 spl, Ruger Blackhawk Hunter Bisley 44 mag, Colt Mustang Pocket-lite .380, Kahr CW 380, Ruger Sr .40SW, 2 different Colt 1911 M1-A's (one was my Uncles sidearm), Springfield Loaded 1911 stainless, Colt Combat Commander, 2 Marlin Model 60 .22 rifles that my Dad bought for us in 1973 from Shipmans Sporting goods ( I remember it like it happened yesterday), Remington 20 gauge pump, 2 Winchester Model 12's, Sako Vixen .222 Remington Magnum, cheapo Century AK-47
Somebody likes 1911s! Lol! I only have 2 of them. A Kimber Tactical Custom II that I customized slightly for competition and a Rock Island compact that I got brand new for $250. The RI really surprised me for how well built and smooth it functions! Accuracy is pretty darn good too. It can't quite keep up with the Kimber, but it's still no slouch.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm that kind of asshat that would CCW $3k pistol or drag it out hunting in the woods. But I'm not to smart
Does it make me an asshat to have a Springfield NM M14 paired with a Springfield scope as a truck gun?

Reactions: dds
lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm one of those guys that doesn't want a "flashy" gun, except for my AR because that's just fun. I can't stand the Glocks though. The balance is off for me and they don't feel good in my hand. Left or right. Some friends would shoot custom Glocks in competition and I tried shooting theirs but I just couldn't get past the way they sit in my hands. Give me my EAA Witness CC any day!

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Speaking of fancy guns, the 44 automag is coming back.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Somebody likes 1911s! Lol! I only have 2 of them. A Kimber Tactical Custom II that I customized slightly for competition and a Rock Island compact that I got brand new for $250. The RI really surprised me for how well built and smooth it functions! Accuracy is pretty darn good too. It can't quite keep up with the Kimber, but it's still no slouch.
I've always been impressed with the quality of the Rock Island 1911's that I've shot considering the price. Same with the Rugers.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does it make me an asshat to have a Springfield NM M14 paired with a Springfield scope as a truck gun?
Ummm, no. That isn't what makes you an asshat.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know there has to be a few people here that are interested in guns.. I just got an AR so I am getting more into them than I was previously. I have hunted for several years, mainly dove and turkey because they are the most fun for me. I don't like deer hunting too much because I don't like sitting still for that long. Lol

So far with the AR all I have done is get an optic. I put a Vortex Strikefire II on it so I could go out and shoot with some buddies after I got it. My next plan is to replace the aluminum railed gas block it came with and also change out the handguard and put on a vertical fore grip. I think I'm going to get a mid length Midwest Industries drop in M-LOK handguard. I don't think I'm going to switch to a free float right now, it came with a drop in and I am fine with the accuracy I'm getting with that. After my girlfriend shoots it and depending on how she likes it, I want to start picking up some parts and build her one from scratch.

I have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster (.22), a Benelli Nova 20ga Pump, and I just got the DPMS Oracle. I plan on getting some sort of handgun in the next year or so as well.

Anyways, what all do you guys have?
My 300 blk is my pride and Joy. Also have a .45 XD and out of all the handguns I've fired it has been my favorite.