Is there a way to muffle sound coming through windows, without replacing the windows?

1. Is there a way to muffle sound coming through windows, without replacing the windows?

So, I live in a town house and my bedroom faces the parking lot. As you can imagine, it can be loud outside. I need a way to muffle the sound, especially because I'm going to be working night shift in a hospital unit after college. I don't want to use foam because of foam leaching toxic chemicals.

2. What about a heavy set of curtiens
    •   

3. Curtains will provide high freq suppression however low freq. 40Hz and lower will still get through easily. If you own you could build a disconnected wall and insulate with heavy microfiber insulation, a practice common to home theater construction, think it's called a double wall.

A different approach is sound cancellation like white noise or a fan

Ear plugs, however, these may push ear wax further into the ear canal and if not cleaned out can cause illness

4. Quote Originally Posted by scoooter View Post
    Curtains will provide high freq suppression however low freq. 40Hz and lower will still get through easily. If you own you could build a disconnected wall and insulate with heavy microfiber insulation, a practice common to home theater construction, think it's called a double wall.

A different approach is sound cancellation like white noise or a fan

Ear plugs, however, these may push ear wax further into the ear canal and if not cleaned out can cause illness
    Ear plugs aren't comfortable, so I can't sleep with them. I use a fan and sometimes a AC. A lot of the noises are low bass tones, like some jackass outside having the bass on his car up, or someone revving their engine, or someone's car alarm going off. I can feel the vibrations coming in from outside.

5. By foam, are you referring to the foam they use in studio sound rooms? I've placed them against the windows before and they have worked pretty well. I haven't done this yet, but I wanted to mount collapsible shudders to the inside of the window so I could turn the shoulders into a "double wall" like scooter mentioned. When I go to sleep at night, I close the shudders to the windows on the inside and it would muffle sound.

When I was Iraq, we would use plywood to redirect the noise from the generators away from the sleeping areas and bounce them in another direction.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIron View Post
    By foam, are you referring to the foam they use in studio sound rooms? I've placed them against the windows before and they have worked pretty well. I haven't done this yet, but I wanted to mount collapsible shudders to the inside of the window so I could turn the shoulders into a "double wall" like scooter mentioned. When I go to sleep at night, I close the shudders to the windows on the inside and it would muffle sound.

When I was Iraq, we would use plywood to redirect the noise from the generators away from the sleeping areas and bounce them in another direction.
    I found some sound muffling "blanket" curtain online. I haven't ordered them yet, but they are supposed to lower sound by I believe 20dBs. I'm unsure how I'll have to set it up on my one window since I have a "portal" AC in my room with the tube going through the window. I don't know if the curtain will be too heavy to drape over the tube. The curtains weight 10 pounds.

7. Re-direction of sound waves via air gap is the best way. The "double wall" @scooter mentioned above is the best way to dampen sound transfer.
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper

8. You can get ear plugs designed for sleeping as well. I bought some as I have an unemployed lady who lives across the road who apparently has nothing better to do than yell into her phone to her friends at all hours of the night.

I also have a vibrating alarm to wake me up because they do block a lot of sound.

A fan or white noise app is the next best thing I've found. I set a timer on the white noise app for like 30 minutes and it really helps cancel out unnessary background noise.

Some other solutions as above, but more costly
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels for strength, Focus XT for mental performance & Joint Support XT for pain free mobility
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is there some way to end journalism as we know it?
    By EasyEJL in forum General Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM
  2. Is there a way to avoid high doses of AAS?
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 10:36 AM
  3. Is there any way to kill the bloat of A-50?
    By friction515 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2005, 02:09 AM
  4. is there a way to increase igf levels naturally?
    By John Smeton in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 07:44 PM
  5. is there any way to get rid of some estro ?
    By WATERLOGGED in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 12:43 PM