Does a degree really matter anymore?

Page 1 of 20 123 ... Last
  1. Does a degree really matter anymore?

I am in a situation where I have a degree in Accounting but my experience is not long enough (4 years), so I am put into this entry level position where I am competing with those who have experience but no degree. I understand that I have to work my way up, but why does a company ask for your degree if they are not going to pay you for having one?

It makes me question if I want to continue my education. I donít want to be in debt just to find a job making less than what my tuition cost me. I donít know, Iím in a rut.

Also, my coworker questioned me about my degree. She didnít believe I had one because she wanted to take the same classes I had taken and asked me to show her my courses online. Surprisingly, the site was down that day and I told her that I would get it for her later. A few days later she told my boss that I did not have my degree and no experience. My boss took her words and I was let go without any questions. I just said thank you and packed my stuff and left. And this is why I am asking this question. Does it really matter anymore?
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

2. Most places I see a degree is required as well as experience. Therefore the entry level position you are in is preparing you for the much more successful future you will have. Get some real world experience under your belt and you will get whatever you apply for assuming all other aspects of you aren't unhireable. Lol

Edit: Just read you have 4 years experience in the field already. Odd that it would need more. Maybe try applying elsewhere.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
    •   

3. Believe me in my type of work to get the best paying jobs that are a walk in the park you either have to have a degree or work your ass off from the bottom and then get topped off just barely over the entry level pay of those with the degrees.
    PEScience Representative
  4. Does a degree really matter anymore?

Depends on the field really. Something like social media management/marketing for example, I know people with good jobs without a degree, but it wasnít easy, took lots of time and multiple jobs, and a lot of side work and portfolio building. For something like engineering/law/etc where youíre not allowed to practice without a degree and a certification, it matters by definition as a requirement. Other jobs you can get entry/base level jobs, but youíll be limited to the bottom of the ladder without a degree. On a different note, some jobs just want a degree period to get hired, even if itís not in a relevant field, itís an advantage over other people applying, and if the demand (for jobs) is greater than the supply (of jobs), they can say that they only want people with a degree. Even just looking on Indeed, lots of jobs just want a degree, often a bachelors, but donít even specify the field/major/etc.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post
    Most places I see a degree is required as well as experience. Therefore the entry level position you are in is preparing you for the much more successful future you will have. Get some real world experience under your belt and you will get whatever you apply for assuming all other aspects of you aren't unhireable. Lol
    Thank you. I know that I just have to be patient, but honestly, my heart is not in accounting and is why Iím switching over to law school. I wonít lie, I think people judge me for my tattoos as well. Even when I am fully covered. Sometimes my sleeve will peak out a bit or my chest tattoo, but I am usually in dress shirts and slacks.
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-
    •   

6. Does a degree really matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Depends on the field really. Something like social media management/marketing for example, I know people with good jobs without a degree, but it wasnít easy, took lots of time and multiple jobs, and a lot of side work and portfolio building. For something like engineering/law/etc where youíre not allowed to practice without a degree and a certification, it matters by definition as a requirement. Other jobs you can get entry/base level jobs, but youíll be limited to the bottom of the ladder without a degree. On a different note, some jobs just want a degree period to get hired, even if itís not in a relevant field, itís an advantage over other people applying, and if the demand (for jobs) is greater than the supply (of jobs), they can say that they only want people with a degree. Even just looking on Indeed, lots of jobs just want a degree, often a bachelors, but donít even specify the field/major/etc.
    I noticed that when I was searching for jobs. Basic entry levels are requiring degrees but wonít pay what the degree is worth. One guy emailed me offering $12 an hour. Like really? Thatís what my experience and degree is worth? All I know is that my degrees will be over $100,000 and I cannot afford to work for someone who doesnít understand the value of what I will bring to the table.

7. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Thank you. I know that I just have to be patient, but honestly, my heart is not in accounting and is why Iím switching over to law school. I wonít lie, I think people judge me for my tattoos as well. Even when I am fully covered. Sometimes my sleeve will peak out a bit or my chest tattoo, but I am usually in dress shirts and slacks.
    Definitely follow your heart and do something that makes you happy but be prepared for the battle of the bar. I have a very close family friend (female not that it matters just to relate to your situation I suppose) who busted her ass to pass law school. She is often referred to as legally blonde. Somewhat ditzy and doesn't come across as book smart. But she passed and got her law degree. She is now making about 11 dollars an hour working under lawyers and going on her 5th bar exam. Crazy how much work you can put in to be stuck without passing the final part. It's like the navy seal training in a way. You can be a complete monster and fly through things normal people would give up quick on but 1 test can be your Achilles.
    PEScience Representative

8. Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post
    Definitely follow your heart and do something that makes you happy but be prepared for the battle of the bar. I have a very close family friend (female not that it matters just to relate to your situation I suppose) who busted her ass to pass law school. She is often referred to as legally blonde. Somewhat ditzy and doesn't come across as book smart. But she passed and got her law degree. She is now making about 11 dollars an hour working under lawyers and going on her 5th bar exam. Crazy how much work you can put in to be stuck without passing the final part. It's like the navy seal training in a way. You can be a complete monster and fly through things normal people would give up quick on but 1 test can be your Achilles.
    Thank you! F*ck, I hope she passes this one! All that hard work for $11 sucks! That is pretty much like getting a CPA license. You work so hard, but you have this last hurdle that can make or break you.

9. I can tell you the most degrees are devalued nowadays. I have been an engineer in the medical and biotech industries for 25 years and a person with a degree 20 years ago would walk into a sweet gig with good pay. I just hired someone with 5 years experience and solid body of work and this person is making 55k. Up here in Boston this person will barely get by on that salary.

10. Im over in the UK so may be slightly different but, aside from fields like law, engineering and medicine, experience is much more valued.

Personally i dropped out of a law degree to go into sales, worked through estate agency (real estate) and recruitment (earning equiv in excess of $90,000 for most of that 10 years). Used that experience to get into bpo sales and salary is now much higher.

Ironically i employ people with degrees as trainees on $30,000 p/a.....just my experience but over here degrees are largely irrelevant if you have 5 years exp aside from those certain fields.

11. Completely depends on what you want to do. Even with a law degree, there are a lot of possibilities and a wide range of pay. Ultimately what you want to do might not end education-wise after your JD.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

12. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Thank you! F*ck, I hope she passes this one! All that hard work for $11 sucks! That is pretty much like getting a CPA license. You work so hard, but you have this last hurdle that can make or break you.
    I feel for her. Passed one of the hardest college schedules and is making crap money. With no bar the degree is pretty much useless. She could be doing the job she's doing right now without the degree. The bar is such a difficult and unpredictable tests. It isn't cheap at all either.
    PEScience Representative

13. Quote Originally Posted by jmero2 View Post
    I can tell you the most degrees are devalued nowadays. I have been an engineer in the medical and biotech industries for 25 years and a person with a degree 20 years ago would walk into a sweet gig with good pay. I just hired someone with 5 years experience and solid body of work and this person is making 55k. Up here in Boston this person will barely get by on that salary.
    Wow, thatís pretty good with no degree. You didnít require someone with experience and a degree?

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Im over in the UK so may be slightly different but, aside from fields like law, engineering and medicine, experience is much more valued.

Personally i dropped out of a law degree to go into sales, worked through estate agency (real estate) and recruitment (earning equiv in excess of $90,000 for most of that 10 years). Used that experience to get into bpo sales and salary is now much higher.

Ironically i employ people with degrees as trainees on $30,000 p/a.....just my experience but over here degrees are largely irrelevant if you have 5 years exp aside from those certain fields.
    Thatís pretty low for someone with a degree. People with accounting experience can start at $18-24 an hour. I donít know, I guess Iím just wondering if it was a waste of time since Iím competing for entry level positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Completely depends on what you want to do. Even with a law degree, there are a lot of possibilities and a wide range of pay. Ultimately what you want to do might not end education-wise after your JD.
    I donít think my education will ever end. I was just thinking that losing this job was a blessing in disguise because I want to get a certificate in esthetician (6 month program) before I start law school.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post
    I feel for her. Passed one of the hardest college schedules and is making crap money. With no bar the degree is pretty much useless. She could be doing the job she's doing right now without the degree. The bar is such a difficult and unpredictable tests. It isn't cheap at all either.
    I do, too. I really hope she passes this next one. Sheís worked so hard!!!

14. Great thread @puccah8808! Definitely a thread that many of us can relate to!
    Black Lion Research Representative

15. Quote Originally Posted by jgntyce View Post
    Great thread @puccah8808! Definitely a thread that many of us can relate to!
    Thank you, I know itís off topic but I donít have social media and wanted some insight.

16. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Thank you, I know itís off topic but I donít have social media and wanted some insight.
    Nothing's off topic here in the AM family. For many of us this site has been a big part of a good portion of our lives. I've been on this board for more than 6 years and have made some of the best friends I've ever had and gained valuable experience and guidance on so many different topics.
    PEScience Representative

17. I am in construction management and have worked on national historic landmarks throughout the country. I don't have a degree and it contributes to lower pay and less opportunity. With a degree I would be making 40% more overnight.

It matters

18. Go Navy Seal. Where else can you get paid to kill people and workout.

SEAL = Sleep,Eat,and Lift

19. Quote Originally Posted by jameschoi View Post
    Go Navy Seal. Where else can you get paid to kill people and workout.

SEAL = Sleep,Eat,and Lift
    prison
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

20. Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post
    Nothing's off topic here in the AM family. For many of us this site has been a big part of a good portion of our lives. I've been on this board for more than 6 years and have made some of the best friends I've ever had and gained valuable experience and guidance on so many different topics.
    I’ve only been here 6 months and feel like that bro. Honestly didn’t expect to be learning about crypto for example, that thread has genuinely made me money I otherwise wouldn’t have.

The depth of knowledge AM members have, and the willingness to share it is awesome.

21. They did you a favor
    It's not what others think is important but rather what you feel. Had you considered Forensic Accounting?

How I see things
    Don't judge yourself based on what you earn but what you offer others around you.
    Trust your gut as it will never lead you astray. My first love has been Art since I was very young, and it still is, yet I work in a job where a High School diploma is all that is needed. I have a M.Ed. I love what I do, and it pays the bills, but my Art is my love.

"Find what you love, and let it kill you."
    -Henry Charles Bukowski
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    Follidrone 2.0 | Vector | Letrone | Rebirth | Exotherm | Nootrol | Viron | Prolactrone +
    Want to know more?

22. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    They did you a favor
    It's not what others think is important but rather what you feel. Had you considered Forensic Accounting?

How I see things
    Don't judge yourself based on what you earn but what you offer others around you.
    Trust your gut as it will never lead you astray. My first love has been Art since I was very young, and it still is, yet I work in a job where a High School diploma is all that is needed. I have a M.Ed. I love what I do, and it pays the bills, but my Art is my love.

"Find what you love, and let it kill you."
    -Henry Charles Bukowski
    Thank you so much! I truly needed this and you are completely correct. As I was looking at jobs this morning, I thought to myself... ďThey did me a favor because I hated working there, I never felt like I belonged! They canít take away my degree or experiences.

I have considered forensic accounting but then it falls back to ďI hate accounting.Ē

I am looking into the esthetician program, though. Itís only six months and something I can do before school in the fall. Plus, I have a passion for it! Art is a beautiful love... ❤️

23. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I am in a situation where I have a degree in Accounting but my experience is not long enough (4 years), so I am put into this entry level position where I am competing with those who have experience but no degree. I understand that I have to work my way up, but why does a company ask for your degree if they are not going to pay you for having one?

It makes me question if I want to continue my education. I donít want to be in debt just to find a job making less than what my tuition cost me. I donít know, Iím in a rut.

Also, my coworker questioned me about my degree. She didnít believe I had one because she wanted to take the same classes I had taken and asked me to show her my courses online. Surprisingly, the site was down that day and I told her that I would get it for her later. A few days later she told my boss that I did not have my degree and no experience. My boss took her words and I was let go without any questions. I just said thank you and packed my stuff and left. And this is why I am asking this question. Does it really matter anymore?
    You should sue for wrongful termination.
  24. Does a degree really matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by jbatts77 View Post
    You should sue for wrongful termination.
    It doesnít even matter anymore. I am moving forward. Plus, the law protects the employer more than the employees. I want to work somewhere where I donít feel like driving off a cliff every morning.

And also, I get back to training on a regular.

25. Both a degree and experience is needed for you to get a good job.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
  2. Does the type of whey protein u take really matter???
    By viking805fan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 03:24 AM
  4. Does mega- TRN really compair to real tren
    By mercedesdd in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
  5. What does the ban REALLY mean??
    By Chem101 in forum Politics
    Replies: 17