Does a degree really matter anymore?

Page 5 of 22 First ... 34567 ... Last

1. Flight attendant could be cool. I live in the northwest, it is beautiful.

2. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Flight attendant could be cool. I live in the northwest, it is beautiful.
    Same here. Love it. Except working in the snow... That not so much
    •   

3. I love it, but then again after chicago & minnesota nothing feels quite as cold.

4. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Flight attendant could be cool. I live in the northwest, it is beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Same here. Love it. Except working in the snow... That not so much
    Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    I love it, but then again after chicago & minnesota nothing feels quite as cold.
    Wow, Iím so jealous! I canít wait to move up to north Seattle after my masters. On the way home from Seattle last time, I met a gentleman who worked at Boeing. I told him that I was going to work with him some day!
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

5. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Wow, Iím so jealous! I canít wait to move up to north Seattle after my masters. On the way home from Seattle last time, I met a gentleman who worked at Boeing. I told him that I was going to work with him some day!
    I love seattle. But, I'm more of a three sisters kind of guy ... middle of nowhere, snow capped mountains, heaven.
    •   

6. Been applying for job but nothing is happening. ďI donít have enough experience!Ē How much more damn experience and education do I need in order to get a basic entry level A/P and A/R position? 4 years of experience, over 10 difference software knowledge, and itís still not good enough.
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

7. Are your 4 years experience in the position you are applying for?

8. Do they give you specifics on how much or what type of experience you need? I would follow up and try and get that information to find out if there is something that you're missing. Also, have you tried finding a recruiter to help find positions?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

9. It gets worse. I just love it when they come to me to milk ideas for a problem they are working on...I call it, and tell them I'll do it if they pay my hourly rate. It happens frequently in my field.

10. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Are your 4 years experience in the position you are applying for?
    Yes, regular A/P A/R and admin work. Staff accountant. Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Do they give you specifics on how much or what type of experience you need? I would follow up and try and get that information to find out if there is something that you're missing. Also, have you tried finding a recruiter to help find positions?
    Online, it states 2-4 years but itís still not good enough. I have tried a recruiter but theyíre slow to come through and when they do, itís for a salary I canít pay my mortgage with.

It gets worse. I just love it when they come to me to milk ideas for a problem they are working on...I call it, and tell them I'll do it if they pay my hourly rate. It happens frequently in my field.
    It sucks! Just got a call from a heating and air owner. Heís been interviewing for a month and nothing. It was a positive interview but he said heís out of town and if he doesnít hire anyone by next week then heíll call me in for an interview. Fcuk you... yea, I get it. Itís a job but Iím not that desperate. I donít think he liked the wage I was asking for. If youíre not going to pay me more than what my tuition cost me, you can keep walking.

11. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Yes, regular A/P A/R and admin work. Staff accountant. Nothing!

Online, it states 2-4 years but itís still not good enough. I have tried a recruiter but theyíre slow to come through and when they do, itís for a salary I canít pay my mortgage with.

It sucks! Just got a call from a heating and air owner. Heís been interviewing for a month and nothing. It was a positive interview but he said heís out of town and if he doesnít hire anyone by next week then heíll call me in for an interview. Fcuk you... yea, I get it. Itís a job but Iím not that desperate. I donít think he liked the wage I was asking for. If youíre not going to pay me more than what my tuition cost me, you can keep walking.
    Well if they don't know how awesome you are it is their loss.

12. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Well if they don't know how awesome you are it is their loss.

Thank you. I just have to keep pushing forward. For 41/2 years, school was my lifeline. It was my hope for a better future, but right now I feel a bit defeated and contemplating if itís worth it to continue on with getting my masters.

13. What you feel is normal. Everyone feels it post graduation. Primarily because the approach od businesses to hiring is faulty. Mastets degrees are ok, if you need a graduate degree to do your job. Or, you are on fellowship. Just don't pay for it unless it is a professional degree at a school with great networking for the area you want to live/work in.

14. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post

Thank you. I just have to keep pushing forward. For 41/2 years, school was my lifeline. It was my hope for a better future, but right now I feel a bit defeated and contemplating if it’s worth it to continue on with getting my masters.
    Have you checked out LinkedIn? They have groups on there that you can join and discuss issues like this. You can typically find a group that is specific to your field and talk to people who might have already got a masters and see if it is worth it or not.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

15. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    What you feel is normal. Everyone feels it post graduation. Primarily because the approach od businesses to hiring is faulty. Mastets degrees are ok, if you need a graduate degree to do your job. Or, you are on fellowship. Just don't pay for it unless it is a professional degree at a school with great networking for the area you want to live/work in.
    I am going for a human resource degree with a focus in law. Just like an accounting degree, I feel like I can take it anywhere but unlike accounting, I donít have to mess with numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Have you checked out LinkedIn? They have groups on there that you can join and discuss issues like this. You can typically find a group that is specific to your field and talk to people who might have already got a masters and see if it is worth it or not.
    I currently use LinkedIn but have not joined any classes. I will now! Thank you!

16. I would be careful with an hr degree. Might be more beneficial to take a lower position and move into the one you want.

Numbers. My life is numbers. I make my workstation answer the numbers while I go lift

17. My wife and I wouldn't be where we are without our degrees. I agree that not every lucrative career requires one, but it worked out for us and I will never speak negative of the experience. It's a risk-reward system. You get screwed up front but with the right opportunities and hard work, you can come out on top.
    "It's the human condition to always lust, to always lust for more
    Searching in the dark, it's time to tame your wandering heart."

18. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    I would be careful with an hr degree. Might be more beneficial to take a lower position and move into the one you want.

Numbers. My life is numbers. I make my workstation answer the numbers while I go lift
    I agree...I know a lot of people in HR and none have an HR degree...
    Black Lion Research Rep

19. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I am going for a human resource degree with a focus in law. Just like an accounting degree, I feel like I can take it anywhere but unlike accounting, I donít have to mess with numbers.

I currently use LinkedIn but have not joined any classes. I will now! Thank you!
    I would just hold the line and keep applying. It will suck for a long time. And, then hopefully it will suck less.

Just remember everyone has these experiences. I remember how low I got. For those moments, you got us

20. It matters for a particular field if its required. . Many people dont have the resources, pell grants, tuition, or money and get ridiculous student loan debts thats after they're done interest rates eat them up, and their stuck in debt a long long time . My brother came ut on top he got his masters and is using it , hes an assistant professor, never went into debt. If you get finish it and quickly get those student loans paid off, and are making much more than you would have if you didnt get it, sure its worth it. Too many people go and get one and don't use it

and of course there successful entrepreneurs that some did finish college and some didn't finish college
    www.millenniumsport.net

https://www.facebook.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl

21. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    I would be careful with an hr degree. Might be more beneficial to take a lower position and move into the one you want.

Youíre right. My last boss had no degree in human resource or accounting and she was the boss for both. Talk about being in a sh*tty situation. Nobody was able to complain about the accounting manager because her a** was also HR.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyfnemec View Post
    My wife and I wouldn't be where we are without our degrees. I agree that not every lucrative career requires one, but it worked out for us and I will never speak negative of the experience. It's a risk-reward system. You get screwed up front but with the right opportunities and hard work, you can come out on top.
    Yes, definitely true. It took my friend 7 years before she got her 6 figure salary job.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmuelheim View Post
    I agree...I know a lot of people in HR and none have an HR degree...
    I donít know how long this position has been around (HR Generalist), but itís the position I know that doesnít need a degree. The HR/Accounting boss I had, had absolutely no ethics. She told the leads in our department that she wanted my coworker fired and if they couldnít find any dirt then to make up some.

I would just hold the line and keep applying. It will suck for a long time. And, then hopefully it will suck less.

Just remember everyone has these experiences. I remember how low I got. For those moments, you got us
    Thank you! Iím glad Iím not alone in the struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    It matters for a particular field if its required. . Many people dont have the resources, pell grants, tuition, or money and get ridiculous student loan debts thats after they're done interest rates eat them up, and their stuck in debt a long long time . My brother came ut on top he got his masters and is using it , hes an assistant professor, never went into debt. If you get finish it and quickly get those student loans paid off, and are making much more than you would have if you didnt get it, sure its worth it. Too many people go and get one and don't use it

and of course there successful entrepreneurs that some did finish college and some didn't finish college
    Thatís how I feel about my accounting degree. I want to currently use it until after my masters then get the hell away from it. Itís monotonous work and sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day doing the same thing over and over drives me nuts.

22. Out of the 20 or so jobs I applied yesterday, already got 4 ďyouíre not the right fit email.Ē Iíll just keep applying. Going to go sit on a master class next Thursday about how to get into the state. 🤦🏽*♀️

23. OP, are you using the same resume for every application or do you tailor it for each one to include the relevant actions, experiences in your resume to align with the job. advert. Tedious I know. Same for the cover letter.

Recommend connecting with a recruiter who will critique the resume for trends, outliers, language,format, etc.

Never pay anyone to do this. Lookup a recruiter that offers the type of positions you are interested in and believe qualified for and try the human thing and give them a call and ask for the acct. manager.

How has Linkedin worked for you thus far? Recruiters mine it for candidates via keyword search.
  24. Does a degree really matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post
    OP, are you using the same resume for every application or do you tailor it for each one to include the relevant actions, experiences in your resume to align with the job. advert. Tedious I know. Same for the cover letter.

Recommend connecting with a recruiter who will critique the resume for trends, outliers, language,format, etc.

Never pay anyone to do this. Lookup a recruiter that offers the type of positions you are interested in and believe qualified for and try the human thing and give them a call and ask for the acct. manager.

How has Linkedin worked for you thus far? Recruiters mine it for candidates via keyword search.
    I was using the same boring resume until I met a recruiter who told me what to use and highlight. I feel like my resume is very messy and wordy but I cannot figure out how to revise it. I will do some research today on how to clean it up. Like how to simplify that I know Microsoft, GP, SAP, Oracle, AS400, SWMS.... without overwhelming my potential employee.

Recruiters within the finance/accounting field have been reaching out to me.

LinkedIn has been good, Iíve been getting a lot of people reaching out but itís mostly for temporary jobs (6-12 months). I need something more solid. I also need to utilize the site more.

25. Contract position should pay much higher than a perm. position and then some contract have the transition option for perm.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  2. Does the type of whey protein u take really matter???
    By viking805fan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 04:24 AM
  4. Does mega- TRN really compair to real tren
    By mercedesdd in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
  5. What does the ban REALLY mean??
    By Chem101 in forum Politics
    Replies: 17