Does a degree really matter anymore?

Page 3 of 22 First 12345 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    Thanks p! One of the best things Iíve realized is that finding the right people to be around can absolutely make a job or even a career. Iíve been lucky to stumble upon a few really smart and driven people in a variety of places who were both tough enough to push me but also helpful when they noticed I was struggling or didnít know what to do.

Iíve had two bosses and one peer who between those 3 I basically model 90% of career choices and Work life around. Whatís funny is that those same people are also the ones who I look up to the most for their work/life balance as well. Theyíre not even the smartest or highest ranking that Iíve met by a long shot but all 3 are extremely successful and have moved up through the ranks at will, but totally in their terms. Iíve seen 2 of the 3 turn down promotions and such because they didnít see the value in taking on additional stress or getting into a position where they knew they had no control over their own path or ability to make a difference. Thatís something Iíve really come to respect.
    Thatís awesome, Boone! Iíve had some colleagues and managers with such charisma that I, too, wanted to model myself after them. Itís people like them that drive employees to want to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Well my last two jobs My base salary has been higher than my peers bc of my degree and my current job itís required. I also have a friend with no degree who makes double I do lol.

Oh and get your PMP. Today we had two candidates very similar resume and experience but the one with the PMP cert got the interview. Itíll help A LOT
    Wow, thatís crazy about the PMP. I looked into it and itís a lot of work. I have thought about getting my CPA license, too. The skyís the limit!!!! Lol, I just seem to be all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Godstrength View Post
    Who spends $100,000 on a bachelors degree? The government paid my tuition and actually gave me money through Pell grants which most people can get. I was working full time w kids and still managed to get the degree taking 3 classes a semester plus summer classes. In my opinion it was well worth it. If I go back to get my masters ill have to take out loans to pay for that but the financial bracket increase and what I could make would be worth it. Anything after a bachelors you can't get grants for.

I think it does help. I worked construction most of my life. I'm 40 now and honestly not something I wanted to do forever. And its not for everyone. But I prefer to use my mind over my body these days as my body just can't physically keep up with the things I did in my 20 s. Still do a lot of side work (carpentry) for extra income but its at my convenience.
    My old coworker spent almost $100K for her bachelors in communication at Washington State, and now she works in retail and does not make enough to pay her tuition. She is going back to get her Masters. My masters alone will be over $30k.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post
    It's a family for sure! Enjoy what's to offer.
    Yes, it is.
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

2. I have an associates degree. Paid $10K for it. Best $10K i've ever spent. I love walking into a room of people with much more expensive and "prestigious " degrees and announcing that I have an associates degree and no debt with an income of over $50/hr.

all that being said, most of the time, a degree is worth the time and effort for those who are not intrinsically motivated. Ironically college degrees is the "autopilot of life". Minimal effort for guaranteed results. Nobody who is truly wealthy ever became wealthy due to a specific degree. Most people do not have it in them, or do not desire to make the sacrifices, take the risks etc required to have a financially satisfying life without a degree.

not all degrees are made equal. Society needs will dictate the market value of a degree.
    I don't make sandwiches and I don't clean house BUT I do play PC games and lift weights. Instagram: unicorn_droppings_for_you
    •   

3. I worked through college and raised a family at the same time, went on to get a Ph. D. in science and, after a long haul, make a great salary and work on interesting projects. IMO you have to put your nose to the grindstone and ear to the rail and figure out where you belong. it's a journey and it isn't easy but you have to run a gauntlet to become strong. It's basically a lifetime of 20 rep sets of squats everyday and eventually you have what you want.
  4. Thumbs up Thnaks

Maybe your right. I've got a pretty impressive resume but many companies wont even look at it without engineering of construction management degree.
  5. Does a degree really matter anymore?

I started applying for some state jobs today. Itís crazy how they want you to have a degree and an average of 5 years of experience in that field. Sigh* itís a bit depressing.

Also, my brother in lawís best friend got in with the state because his dad and mom both worked there. He had no job experience at all. This is whatís wrong with the job market.
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-
    •   

6. Does a degree matter is a loaded question. It depends on the job.

You can break into my field without one, but those that do could probably get a Ph.D in the early years of an undergrad degree.

My salary is on the level with where I went for grad school, and the name opened many doors.

But, what landed my job was experience that I picked up through machine learning competitions as opposed to my degree. And, thr social network I picked up during my education.

I would say that in the case of a degree, avoid specialized ones. (Data science, etc.)

Good luck

7. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I started applying for some state jobs today. Itís crazy how they want you to have a degree and an average of 5 years of experience in that field. Sigh* itís a bit depressing.

Also, my brother in lawí best friend got in with the state because his dad and mom both worked there. He had no job experience at all. This is whatís wrong with the job market.
    State jobs are great, but nepotism is rampant.

8. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I started applying for some state jobs today. It’s crazy how they want you to have a degree and an average of 5 years of experience in that field. Sigh* it’s a bit depressing.

Also, my brother in law’ best friend got in with the state because his dad and mom both worked there. He had no job experience at all. This is what’s wrong with the job market.
    Unfortunately, that's how much of the world works. I don't mean to sound negative, but a lot of places are required to advertise a position, but already have somebody in mind for the job. That said, it pays off to keep applying and don't be discouraged if you don't meet all of the requirements. Sometimes you get a lot of applicants and you need to make quick cuts, but two people both with 5 years experience are not necessarily the same. It's a horrible process, but you have to keep at it.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

9. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Thank you. I know that I just have to be patient, but honestly, my heart is not in accounting and is why I’m switching over to law school. I won’t lie, I think people judge me for my tattoos as well. Even when I am fully covered. Sometimes my sleeve will peak out a bit or my chest tattoo, but I am usually in dress shirts and slacks.
    I am conservative and strenuously anti-tattoo and would not judge a prospective hire if they were visible unless it were a customer facing position and the client base would not be receptive toward visible tattoos.(which is fast disappearing) My favorite sales rep and best AA both had extensive tattoos. Both women.

Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I noticed that when I was searching for jobs. Basic entry levels are requiring degrees but won’t pay what the degree is worth. One guy emailed me offering $12 an hour. Like really? That’s what my experience and degree is worth? All I know is that my degrees will be over $100,000 and I cannot afford to work for someone who doesn’t understand the value of what I will bring to the table.
    I think you must have underapplied to a position if the pay is $12/hr and you believe you were worth more. If this pattern continues then perhaps you need to evaluate your worth to an employer. A BA in Accounting places you where? You are not a CPA? What can you do that an un-degreed person who has done AP-AR-Payroll for years cannot? What value do you actually bring? I have a two female acquaintances. One has a BA degree and does the same work as the other who does not and has more years of experience. Both in Accting. depts. She is studying for the CPA test then will be worth more.

A Bachelors means you have been able to adequately complete four years of time-management exercises and gained up to moderate knowledge in a given field. No more. Thanks to the grade inflation and easing of undergraduate requirements, employers are more interested in skills and want that degree to indicate a person has the focus and grow into future positions requiring accreditation.

In short many of us if not most start out at the bottom end of the stick and work upwards. A degree is worth it.

Get on Linkedin and connect as much as you can. Of course Indeed is the other ideal job site. There are accounting forums which may lead to niche job boards focusing in that field. Glassdoor maybe another.

10. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Does a degree matter is a loaded question. It depends on the job.

You can break into my field without one, but those that do could probably get a Ph.D in the early years of an undergrad degree.

My salary is on the level with where I went for grad school, and the name opened many doors.

But, what landed my job was experience that I picked up through machine learning competitions as opposed to my degree. And, thr social network I picked up during my education.

I would say that in the case of a degree, avoid specialized ones. (Data science, etc.)

Good luck
    Thank you and I agree. I picked accounting because I figured I could go anywhere with it. My job background consists of work that I never thought Iíd do, but I did it and the experience is there.

Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    State jobs are great, but nepotism is rampant.
    This is true. My old coworker is now an assistant to the Warden in a CA prison because her boyfriend is a correctional officer. He put in a word for her and helped her take the test. Her background consisted of customer service/ waitressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's how much of the world works. I don't mean to sound negative, but a lot of places are required to advertise a position, but already have somebody in mind for the job. That said, it pays off to keep applying and don't be discouraged if you don't meet all of the requirements. Sometimes you get a lot of applicants and you need to make quick cuts, but two people both with 5 years experience are not necessarily the same. It's a horrible process, but you have to keep at it.
    Yes, you are correct and thank you. I went to a work recertification class and asked the instructor about moving up in the company, and how come I received a response so fast about a position I applied for. She said, ďWell, most of the time they have to post the position even though they already have someone for it.Ē I mean, I knew all this. Itís how corporate America operates. I was just hoping for a more positive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post
    I am conservative and strenuously anti-tattoo and would not judge a prospective hire if they were visible unless it were a customer facing position and the client base would not be receptive toward visible tattoos.(which is fast disappearing) My favorite sales rep and best AA both had extensive tattoos. Both women.

I think you must have underapplied to a position if the pay is $12/hr and you believe you were worth more. If this pattern continues then perhaps you need to evaluate your worth to an employer. A BA in Accounting places you where? You are not a CPA? What can you do that an un-degreed person who has done AP-AR-Payroll for years cannot? What value do you actually bring? I have a two female acquaintances. One has a BA degree and does the same work as the other who does not and has more years of experience. Both in Accting. depts. She is studying for the CPA test then will be worth more.

A Bachelors means you have been able to adequately complete four years of time-management exercises and gained up to moderate knowledge in a given field. No more. Thanks to the grade inflation and easing of undergraduate requirements, employers are more interested in skills and want that degree to indicate a person has the focus and grow into future positions requiring accreditation.

In short many of us if not most start out at the bottom end of the stick and work upwards. A degree is worth it.

Get on Linkedin and connect as much as you can. Of course Indeed is the other ideal job site. There are accounting forums which may lead to niche job boards focusing in that field. Glassdoor maybe another.
    Thank you! That gentleman found me on Indeed and reached out to me but I didnít reply. I just had another one reach out to me today and I did reply. Besides AM, LinkedIn is the only social media platform I have and I do need to utilize it more.

Honestly, I think I get in my own way regarding what I can bring to the table. I am by no means better than anyone with no degree and more experience. I am just sad at how far a degree will get you these days. It looks amazing on an application but thatís pretty much as far as it goes (maybe an interview).

I have been more mindful when it comes to job hunting these days, not just applying because I think I qualify. And I donít want to be a CPA, I want to stay out of that field all together because (it sounds like an excuse) it messes with my anxiety and ocd too much.

In regards to my tattoos, I know a lot of places are more open minded these days because tattoos do not dictate how hard a person works. I am, however, hoping that they will lift the tattoo rules by the time I am done with my masters so I can join the reserves.

11. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Thank you and I agree. I picked accounting because I figured I could go anywhere with it. My job background consists of work that I never thought Iíd do, but I did it and the experience is there.

This is true. My old coworker is now an assistant to the Warden in a CA prison because her boyfriend is a correctional officer. He put in a word for her and helped her take the test. Her background consisted of customer service/ waitressing.

Yes, you are correct and thank you. I went to a work recertification class and asked the instructor about moving up in the company, and how come I received a response so fast about a position I applied for. She said, ďWell, most of the time they have to post the position even though they already have someone for it.Ē I mean, I knew all this. Itís how corporate America operates. I was just hoping for a more positive answer.

Thank you! That gentleman found me on Indeed and reached out to me but I didnít reply. I just had another one reach out to me today and I did reply. Besides AM, LinkedIn is the only social media platform I have and I do need to utilize it more.

Honestly, I think I get in my own way regarding what I can bring to the table. I am by no means better than anyone with no degree and more experience. I am just sad at how far a degree will get you these days. It looks amazing on an application but thatís pretty much as far as it goes (maybe an interview).

I have been more mindful when it comes to job hunting these days, not just applying because I think I qualify. And I donít want to be a CPA, I want to stay out of that field all together because (it sounds like an excuse) it messes with my anxiety and ocd too much.

In regards to my tattoos, I know a lot of places are more open minded these days because tattoos do not dictate how hard a person works. I am, however, hoping that they will lift the tattoo rules by the time I am done with my masters so I can join the reserves.
    Accounting is a great degree. What do you want to do, and will it make you happy?

12. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Accounting is a great degree. What do you want to do, and will it make you happy?
    Thank you and nothing. I hate accounting. Itís extremely boring to me. At this point in my life, my degree just means that Iíve accomplished something I never thought I would. Other than that, I donít want to work in that field any more.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's how much of the world works. I don't mean to sound negative, but a lot of places are required to advertise a position, but already have somebody in mind for the job.
    I didn't know this was a thing until my dad said his company does it since it is required. It made me feel better about the countless of applications I have submitted with no response or finding out it was filled already.

14. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    I didn't know this was a thing until my dad said his company does it since it is required. It made me feel better about the countless of applications I have submitted with no response or finding out it was filled already.
    He is absolutely correct. I was just talking to my ďactingĒ assistant manager today about her position, and why they bothered posting it if she already has it. Itís the law that companies have to give everyone a ďfairĒ chance at applying.

15. Quote Originally Posted by rascal14 View Post
    I've been on both ends of it and it's a dumb system that wastes everybody's time. It sucks to get rejected when you never had a chance, but it's also stupid to not be able to hire somebody for a position that is the perfect person already. I see it a lot in academic research labs where somebody was a grad student and is moving on to a post doc or higher position and nobody knows this certain lab or technique better than them, but the lab still has to put out the ad. Of course it gets exploited to hire friends and family I'm sure as well.
    ***PES Representative***

16. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    He is absolutely correct. I was just talking to my “acting” assistant manager today about her position, and why they bothered posting it if she already has it. It’s the law that companies have to give everyone a “fair” chance at applying.
    Yeah, that's an example where it doesn't make sense to have to even post it. People in acting positions tend to already be doing the job, sometimes for less pay. Posting the job is an insult to them and whoever wastes time applying.
    ***PES Representative***

17. Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Yeah, that's an example where it doesn't make sense to have to even post it. People in acting positions tend to already be doing the job, sometimes for less pay. Posting the job is an insult to them and whoever wastes time applying.
    I completely agree! I had one temp position where I thought I was going to make it, but they let me go a week before I became permanent. If I was not working out, they should have let me go the first month and not waste both our times.

18. Migrate into financial analytics. Learn R and grab some forecasting MOOC's on Udemy.

Migrate into banking as a credit analyst and work your way into lending.

Lots of opportunity with an accounting degree, just depends how you want to pivot it if you don't want to go the CPA route.

In terms of whether or not a degree is required anyone, it depends on what you plan to do with it. In data science you certainly need a degree or at least many many hours invested in statistics, data modeling, and computer science.

I would not let someone operate on my animals if they were not educated in the field with prior experience. I would not let someone operate on my wife or I without prior education and experience.

19. Interesting and relevant thread.
    Over here in the UK it seems that we are at 60 - 70% of school leavers going to university, It's becoming almost a normal continuation of education.
    I many cases you need a Masters just because everyone else has a degree. Experience of activities outside the degree study is also a very important factor when looking at job applicants, community involvement/work seems to highly valued.
    Whilst the average, whatever that is, degree holder is predicted to earn more over a lifetime of work is it worth the £50,000 debt accrued gaining the degree?
    Thankfully I'm retired but I really feel for the youngsters of today. Good luck whichever way they choose.

Interestingly you can't get degrees in happiness or contentment!

20. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Does a degree matter is a loaded question. It depends on the job.

Good luck
    How long did it take you to get into Machine Learning? Currently trying to get into data analytics/business analyst. About to graduate with an Astrophysics degree and in the midst of applying for jobs

21. Quote Originally Posted by Bodybeast View Post
    How long did it take you to get into Machine Learning? Currently trying to get into data analytics/business analyst. About to graduate with an Astrophysics degree and in the midst of applying for jobs
    Not long. Astrophyics should do well. My graduate degree was theoretical physics & applied mathematics.

But, management of these fields is what you should shoot for. The data science/ml will most likely automate itself in the next 5-10 years on a larger scale.

Work on kaggle comps, gives you some background to talk about during interviews. Just realize that ml in kaggle is not the same as ml in practice. And, be sure to network.

Best of luck, and if I can answer any questions drop me a message.

22. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    Not long. Astrophyics should do well. My graduate degree was theoretical physics & applied mathematics.

But, management of these fields is what you should shoot for. The data science/ml will most likely automate itself in the next 5-10 years on a larger scale.

Work on kaggle comps, gives you some background to talk about during interviews. Just realize that ml in kaggle is not the same as ml in practice. And, be sure to network.

Best of luck, and if I can answer any questions drop me a message.
    I wanted to message you to learn more, but for some reason the updated app doesn't let me message. If you could shoot me one I would appreciate it. Thanks for the info and recommendation!

23. People are reaching out to me via indeed and LinkedIn, and Iím like how did you find me?!? Iím excited for all the opportunities!

24. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    People are reaching out to me via indeed and LinkedIn, and Iím like how did you find me?!? Iím excited for all the opportunities!

25. Quote Originally Posted by T3x View Post
    A lady reached out to me regarding a position for the local electric company. She was very impressed with my experience and degree. Can you believe it? Both! fingers cross and some 🥓🥓!!!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  2. Does the type of whey protein u take really matter???
    By viking805fan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 04:24 AM
  4. Does mega- TRN really compair to real tren
    By mercedesdd in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
  5. What does the ban REALLY mean??
    By Chem101 in forum Politics
    Replies: 17