Traveling to NYC

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Me and my girlfriend are planning a trip to go to Manhattan/NYC around this time next year. A few things.. we are driving from Oklahoma, and we are bringing our husky. Lol She will not fly with the dog because she doesn't want to stress him out and all that stuff, so we are making it a three day drive! Lol

The current plan

Drive from Oklahoma to Indianapolis, Indiana to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, to Manhattan, New York

We will stop in Indianapolis and Harrisburg to break it up into a 3 day drive.

We plan to spend 5 nights in Manhattan and we plan to get a groupon for a hotel in Manhattan.

Here are her wants for being in Manhattan:
See Central Park and Central Park Zoo, Empire State Building, Time Square, Grand Central Station, Madison Square Garden, Brooklyn Bridge, and all the other cliché places.

So, is anyone here from New York and has any tips? We aren't really there for shopping, dining, or going out. We may go to a couple nice places but really we just want to see the city.

What is a typical cost for vacationing in New York City for an entire week? We were budgeting $5,000 for the entire trip, including gas, hotels, etc. is that an accurate guesstimate?

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey! Not from new york but i visited. We did it with flight, hotel, and i think 4 days. And we did it under $5k. And we were eating out and drinking everyday haha.
If you plan on going to ellis island look into buying your tickets online to confirm. We put that off and it was sold out when we were there. We instead opted for a sunset dinner boat ride and we got a great view of ellis island and the statue. I also recommend visiting the 911 memorial.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey! Not from new york but i visited. We did it with flight, hotel, and i think 4 days. And we did it under $5k. And we were eating out and drinking everyday haha.
If you plan on going to ellis island look into buying your tickets online to confirm. We put that off and it was sold out when we were there. We instead opted for a sunset dinner boat ride and we got a great view of ellis island and the statue. I also recommend visiting the 911 memorial.
This is her big interest so she I'm trying to let her figure it all out since that is part of the fun, but that is good to hear! We will obviously go to a few restaurants and things, but the main goal is just sight seeing, so I think a $5k estimate is pretty solid.

She did mention the 911 memorial, and thanks for the heads up about ellis island!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Parking in NYC is going to run $300+ at a hotel. Is there anyway to board the Husky, or have him stay with a family member? Without the dog, you can probably find a nice air BnB in times Square for about half of a hotel room, just depends. Or you could park your car somewhere like in Staten Island or NJ, take train or ferry into the city, and use cabs or uber or subway to get around.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Parking in NYC is going to run $300+ at a hotel. Is there anyway to board the Husky, or have him stay with a family member? Without the dog, you can probably find a nice air BnB in times Square for about half of a hotel room, just depends. Or you could park your car somewhere like in Staten Island or NJ, take train or ferry into the city, and use cabs or uber or subway to get around.
The dog must come and we have to drive, those are non negotiables with the girlfriend.. Lol

But, I think now I have decided to park in NJ and either uber or take the ferry over like you said. I found a place in Weehawken that a few people have recommended.

She has been looking on Groupon and some of the Hotels say parking is less than $50/day as long as it is a car. But, I think I would rather leave the car outside of the city anyways and not have to deal with that traffic. Lol

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did a similar trip and those stops are good!

My last trip to Vegas only cost me $500. That’s 3 plane tickets, 3 hotels, and a 2 day car rental. You have a lot of time and can definitely catch some hotel deals. Although, I do have to say the hotels in New York are ridiculous and you may want to stay in north jersey and take the shuttle bus to New York. I stayed at the holiday inn in North Bergen and paid $12 for the shuttle bus to go into New York.

The tolls are ridiculous in New York and jersey with a toll fee of $15 every time you go into the city. It’s better to just get the shuttle into the city, trust me, you do not want to drive there. My hotel was only 13 or 16 miles from LaGuardia and it took me almost 3 hours to get there.

Mcballz

Mcballz

Banned
Awards
The dog must come and we have to drive, those are non negotiables with the girlfriend.. Lol

But, I think now I have decided to park in NJ and either uber or take the ferry over like you said. I found a place in Weehawken that a few people have recommended.

She has been looking on Groupon and some of the Hotels say parking is less than $50/day as long as it is a car. But, I think I would rather leave the car outside of the city anyways and not have to deal with that traffic. Lol
Come take a trip to Colorado instead...
I'd LOVE to meet you face to face.
:) :)

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I did a similar trip and those stops are good!

My last trip to Vegas only cost me $500. That’s 3 plane tickets, 3 hotels, and a 2 day car rental. You have a lot of time and can definitely catch some hotel deals. Although, I do have to say the hotels in New York are ridiculous and you may want to stay in north jersey and take the shuttle bus to New York. I stayed at the holiday inn in North Bergen and paid $12 for the shuttle bus to go into New York.

The tolls are ridiculous in New York and jersey with a toll fee of $15 every time you go into the city. It’s better to just get the shuttle into the city, trust me, you do not want to drive there. My hotel was only 13 or 16 miles from LaGuardia and it took me almost 3 hours to get there.
I think she is pretty set on a hotel in Manhattan, but I will see what we can find if I can do any convincing.

Unless the hotel just happens to have an amazing deal on parking, which I doubt. We will be parking in NJ somewhere.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry, I was just in Colorado! Besides, did you miss the part where I said GIRLFRIEND? I'm not interested in old men lol
lol, I laughed so hard! ??

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
When you said girl friend I thought you meant your grandma.

Be nice to see how much **** you talk face to face.... I've gotten to meet up with a few other internet tough guy **** talkers.
Some of em change their tune once their spittin out blood....

I'm quite the striker, hee hee;)
“Internet tough guys” are usually the ones who threaten violence.. the only one doing that here is you. Lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm from Connecticut I go to NY all the time. The main reason to go to NY is shopping and dining out. If your just going site seeing I think it would be nowhere near a 5k trip, I could stay there for 3 days hotel and dinner every night and go shopping and catch a Yankees game for 2000

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm from Connecticut I go to NY all the time. The main reason to go to NY is shopping and dining out. If your just going site seeing I think it would be nowhere near a 5k trip, I could stay there for 3 days hotel and dinner every night and go shopping and catch a Yankees game for 2000
Well, that's good to hear! We will probably go out to eat a few times, but nothing crazy.