Anyone share experience on SSRI's

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have never taken prozac, zoloft, etc... it is being recommended to me because I have a constant irritation which is assumed from having low seratonin levels. I get irritated alot, this is an on going thing for me. I am skeptical on meds. Anyone have advice

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Can you clarify what you mean by irritation? Are you getting angry and annoyed or do you experience anxiety or depression?

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Angry irritation and I can't let things go, like it goes over and over in my mind, have a hard time moving on

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would look into counseling or anger management therapy first then. You need to figure out what the underlying issue is first. In the end, you may need some pharmaceutical help, but I would start with therapy first.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I highly recommend therapy and don't support this as a substitution but find the book "The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck" bu Mark Manson. Ideally, I would suggest reading anything by Seneca, but that book is a good start.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would suggest looking into natural options first.
Ashwagandha is relaxing.
Curcumin has shown to help with some types of depression.
I've also used St. Johns Worth when I had a stressful time at work and it helped.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would suggest looking into natural options first.
Ashwagandha is relaxing.
Curcumin has shown to help with some types of depression.
I've also used St. Johns Worth when I had a stressful time at work and it helped.
Thanks, I've been in counseling for years. The whole shebang. The anger is not so much the issue, it's like the constant going over issues, like I can't move on. Therapist says I have low seratonin levels.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks, I've been in counseling for years. The whole shebang. The anger is not so much the issue, it's like the constant going over issues, like I can't move on. Therapist says I have low seratonin levels.
If you've been going for years and they haven't given you practical advice on how to deal with that issue, then you need to find another therapist. To me it's kind of a red flag too if they told you that you have low serotonin. Seriously though, you should be getting advice on what to do when this happens to you, whether it's a breathing technique or visualization exercise, something!

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you've been going for years and they haven't given you practical advice on how to deal with that issue, then you need to find another therapist. To me it's kind of a red flag too if they told you that you have low serotonin. Seriously though, you should be getting advice on what to do when this happens to you, whether it's a breathing technique or visualization exercise, something!
Thanks, it's always questionable when it comes to mental health. Definitely not a easy topic when it comes to medication. I am just trying to look at all options

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks, it's always questionable when it comes to mental health. Definitely not a easy topic when it comes to medication. I am just trying to look at all options
Options are great. I have personal (have tried A LOT of anti-anxiety meds) and professional experience (PhD in Neuroscience) with the subject. I'm definitely not against using medication, but it comes with it's own set of issues, especially when you want to stop using them which is not a fun ride. I'm more than happy to answer any questions through private message too if you feel more comfortable that way. Regardless of what you choose, I hope you find what works for you!

DCx

Awards
Options are great. I have personal (have tried A LOT of anti-anxiety meds) and professional experience (PhD in Neuroscience) with the subject. I'm definitely not against using medication, but it comes with it's own set of issues, especially when you want to stop using them which is not a fun ride. I'm more than happy to answer any questions through private message too if you feel more comfortable that way. Regardless of what you choose, I hope you find what works for you!
I'd also like to get some information regarding SSRI's

I was recently diagnosed with depression, which is due to neurotransmitter levels (as said by doctor) or extreme withdrawals from a supplement that's pretty well known on here (depression/anxiety go away when I take it, come back when I don't)

FRITZBLITZ

FRITZBLITZ

Banned
Awards

I was recently diagnosed with depression, which is due to neurotransmitter levels (as said by doctor) or extreme withdrawals from a supplement that's pretty well known on here (depression/anxiety go away when I take it, come back when I don't)
I'm glad you made this thread. Along with other PTSD and long list of things, I also will not let stupid **** go, like my mind will brood on a small thing that pisses me off but really dosent matter. I too have to take anti-depressants for lots of reasons. I also do therapy, exercise lol, and all that stuff. First off your Dr is full of ****tttt. You can't measure neurotransmitters!!! You can put the head gear on to see which areas are firing but thats about as far as you can go. Measuring nerotransmitters is like counting atoms in a changing structure...impossible. If you look up how SSRIs work it says "they are THOUGHT to work in blahh way". The pharm can't even prove how they work.

I recently switched medications 3 times and it was helll. They put me on 2 types of 3 combos that made superdrol lethargy feel like I was doing cocain. Another problem with SSRIs is it takes about 8 weeks to fully kick in. So you have to use trial and error for a long time. and you get to enjoy the side effects while the doc writes a diff drug. I suggest researching and asking for what YOU WANT TO BE PERSCRIBED.

To help you and your doc figure this out there is a DNA test that will map what psych drugs will work, benifit, harm or be ineffective. I highly suggest you pay for this even if your insurance will not. I spent years experimenting with SSRIs, SSNRIs, A typical Anti-psychotics, Mood stabilizers, and sleeping meds. I'm still trying to find wht will work.

I also want to add what another person suggested natural medicine. If you can get acupuncture or anything to work that is natural, youll be more healthy over all. PM me if you want to get into the gritty ****ttty

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I hold in a lot of anger and at times it pops off pretty bad, my wife said i needed to do something about it...when the Dr. suggested i get on meds i said fuk that and decided to see a councler once a week and put my anger into lifting....that has help me coupe with greatly with anger....i hope this helps u out....good luck

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

What supplement?