Arnold's Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding - AnabolicMinds.com

Arnold's Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding

1. New Member

Arnold's Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding

Picked up this book today at Borders. Im sure all of you have heard of it. It has some very good principles and ideas in it. Also, good for the beginner. I'll post some stuff from it when I get time.

2. Banned

good for the beginner? hmm...must have particular sections. some douche bag PL'er at my gym (6'2 150lb. ecto lol) was talkin about some lifting routines in there and dieting....from the routine he was rattlin off you'd definately have to be on the sauce to complete it. is this book really very helpful for you? i would never buy anything like this because everyone is different. period. but hey, keep us posted if you've got anything interesting to share.
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan1
    good for the beginner? hmm...must have particular sections. some douche bag PL'er at my gym (6'2 150lb. ecto lol) was talkin about some lifting routines in there and dieting....from the routine he was rattlin off you'd definately have to be on the sauce to complete it. is this book really very helpful for you? i would never buy anything like this because everyone is different. period. but hey, keep us posted if you've got anything interesting to share.
    I'm guessing he meant exercise wise. I'm sure it's a good book for the beginner to get the techniques down, but you'd be hard pressed to follow a routine out of that book to the letter because there are just so many different variables when it comes to muscle response and recovery time. I'm sure there's someone out there who could follow the routine to a 't' and see great results, but what are the odds of finding a person like that. My guess would be pretty slim. But like he said, it probably would be good for a beginner if nothing else than to introduce them to the compound movements and how to do them correctly.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor

Half that stuff in the book would overtrain you, geared or not.. It's good for a reference guide, I use it a times for different ideas, that's about it..
  5. New Member

This book is a great buy imo because its huge, loaded with photos, and cheap as hell ($16.50 right now on amazon). Like bigpetefox said, dont use the routienes as they will lead to overtraining, but for learning about each different exercise, it cant be beat.
  6. New Member

if i remember right one of the things he suggests is super-setting just about everything while doing it twice a day. i tried it once and got over-trained pretty quickly.
  7. New Member

Ya theres 3 main sections. One about bodybuilding and the history, etc. Another about Training such as programs and such, and the last about body part exercises. Also, theres a lot about nutrition, contest prepping and such.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'6"  288 lbs.

It's a good read for anyone really. The example training programs are definately high volume. I actually tried some of the homemade protein shakes he suggests in the book, and they are fairly good.
  9. Elite Member

Everyone interested in bodybuilding should own the Encyclopedia, IMO. At the softcover price its more than worth it. Yeah, the routines are wacked - but those were Arnold's specific routines from back in his day, and we all know he was using anabolics AND genetically gifted in one way or another. Doing one of them might help you bust a plateau - but constantly workingout like that will lead to overtraining in most people. The routines in the book are only a small section though, the rest of it is full of useful info.

BV

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 12:22 AM
  2. Arnold's "Enclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding"
    By Manimalia in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
  3. GH Gut or just evolution of the bodybuilder?
    By Jayhawkk in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
  4. Rules of a Bodybuilder
    By Luke530 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 11:06 PM
  5. Ahnold's The New Encyclopedia Of Modern Bodybuilding
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 07:23 PM